School Specific LORs Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

School-specific LOR - better, equal or worse than a general letter

Better - it shows the school that you cared enough to think of them when asking for an LOR
No votes
Equal - doesn't really matter/the school knows your recommender simply changed "your law school" to "school X"
100%
Worse - The school saw right through you and your recommender's feeble attempt to manipulate them
No votes

Total votes: 5

mander

New

School Specific LORs

Post by mander » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:30 pm

My boss agreed to write me a letter of rec, and I plan on sending it to all the schools I've been waitlisted at or haven't heard from. My top choice is UVA. Do you guys think it would be good for me to send in a special UVA LOR? It would be the same letter (not making my boss write 2 unique ones), only "your law school" would be changed to "UVA" and such. Would that be better than a general letter, equal, or worse?

UVA2B

Gold

Re: School Specific LORs

Post by UVA2B » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:00 pm

Replacing "your law school" with "University of Virginia School of Law" or whatever will not make it a substantially better letter. What makes an LOR impactful is what they say about you and what authority they bring to assessing your candidacy for law school. So if your recommender is a UVA Law grad, that would help. Otherwise, a word replacement won't make much of a difference.

ETA: to the extent ANY LOR is impactful

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”