Multiple Deposits Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
carsondalywashere

Silver

Multiple Deposits

Post by carsondalywashere » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:46 am

When should one consider doing multiple deposits? And can it be used as a scholarship negotiating tool?

ILoveYou

Silver

Re: Multiple Deposits

Post by ILoveYou » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:02 am

Consider it when you're negotiating with multiple schools who seem likely to budge on the $$ and you're up against deadlines. I wouldn't try to use the fact that you deposited elsewhere as a negotiating tool. Just let schools know that you're still considering the financial burden of attendance and that reconsidering your aid offer would impact your decision. I'd maybe use it in negotiating if you have it down to two schools and you aren't getting the response you want because at that point why not.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:06 am

ILoveYou wrote:Consider it when you're negotiating with multiple schools who seem likely to budge on the $$ and you're up against deadlines. I wouldn't try to use the fact that you deposited elsewhere as a negotiating tool. Just let schools know that you're still considering the financial burden of attendance and that reconsidering your aid offer would impact your decision. I'd maybe use it in negotiating if you have it down to two schools and you aren't getting the response you want because at that point why not.
That's actually exactly where I'm at right now...sounds like it's the move to make

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:07 am

Only thing that makes me antsy is spending an extra $500 on something that may not work...gotta try though

ILoveYou

Silver

Post by ILoveYou » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:40 am

carsondalywashere wrote:Only thing that makes me antsy is spending an extra $500 on something that may not work...gotta try though
I hear ya. Then my advice is to indicate you've deposited at school X and they are more financially feasible and ask if there is anything school Y can do to make cost of attendance comparable. Best of luck.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:17 pm

ILoveYou wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:Only thing that makes me antsy is spending an extra $500 on something that may not work...gotta try though
I hear ya. Then my advice is to indicate you've deposited at school X and they are more financially feasible and ask if there is anything school Y can do to make cost of attendance comparable. Best of luck.
It's probably worth the risk. Even a $1,000 increase in scholarship would make the other deposit worth it in theory

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”