Cornell negotiation Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
XoGossipgirlxoxo

New

Cornell negotiation

Post by XoGossipgirlxoxo » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:56 am

Cornell is my top choice and currently I have a 105 K scholarship. I want to send them an email telling them I would deposit if they gave me X amount of money. Don't have that good offers to negotiate much higher but I think letting them know I would deposit is good leverage. Is 120 K a good amount to ask for? That's the most a couple people got with my stats on LSN.

AnMzungu

Bronze

Re: Cornell negotiation

Post by AnMzungu » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:08 am

XoGossipgirlxoxo wrote:Cornell is my top choice and currently I have a 105 K scholarship. I want to send them an email telling them I would deposit if they gave me X amount of money. Don't have that good offers to negotiate much higher but I think letting them know I would deposit is good leverage. Is 120 K a good amount to ask for? That's the most a couple people got with my stats on LSN.
Have you already worked up your other scholarships as far as they'll go?

baseballfan660

Bronze

Post by baseballfan660 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:16 am

XoGossipgirlxoxo wrote:Cornell is my top choice and currently I have a 105 K scholarship. I want to send them an email telling them I would deposit if they gave me X amount of money. Don't have that good offers to negotiate much higher but I think letting them know I would deposit is good leverage. Is 120 K a good amount to ask for? That's the most a couple people got with my stats on LSN.
lol is this the same poster that had a similar name last week about prada ?

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:51 am

I don't think a promise to deposit is as much leverage as you think. There is no harm in asking if they'd increase the amount, and maybe that guarantee would be enough, but I wouldn't count on it. It'd be much better to have offers from competitors that Cornell needs to outbid. Do you have any competing offers that might be persuasive?

Negotiating for tuition discounts is all about making them think you have better options or new and better things to offer. If you don't have a new higher LSAT or an impressive credential (the latter is unlikely to move the needle unless it's ridiculously impressive), what you need is a competitor offer that Cornell has to pay more for. As the cycle goes on, if they really need your LSAT or GPA to bolster stats, they might give you more with nothing new to offer, but that won't be happening until well into summer.

You can ask for whatever you want from them, but a hollow promise that you'll pay the seat deposit today isn't likely to make them budge.

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:15 am

UVA2B wrote:I don't think a promise to deposit is as much leverage as you think. There is no harm in asking if they'd increase the amount, and maybe that guarantee would be enough, but I wouldn't count on it. It'd be much better to have offers from competitors that Cornell needs to outbid. Do you have any competing offers that might be persuasive?

Negotiating for tuition discounts is all about making them think you have better options or new and better things to offer. If you don't have a new higher LSAT or an impressive credential (the latter is unlikely to move the needle unless it's ridiculously impressive), what you need is a competitor offer that Cornell has to pay more for. As the cycle goes on, if they really need your LSAT or GPA to bolster stats, they might give you more with nothing new to offer, but that won't be happening until well into summer.

You can ask for whatever you want from them, but a hollow promise that you'll pay the seat deposit today isn't likely to make them budge.
Agreed. If you have any offers that are better, and you are considering them, you should include them. Let them know that you would love to deposit and attend Cornell as it's your first choice, but the cost of attendance is playing heavily in your decision. You can ask if there is any way they can make attending more feasible.

I wouldn't give an ultimatum, that can sound entitled.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:21 pm

For what it's worth, I made an ultimatum and it did not work out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”