To be admitted with only LSAT Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ghytu48

New

To be admitted with only LSAT

Post by ghytu48 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:05 am

Hi guys,

I am from one of the poorest countries in the planet. Took GMAT (top 5%), but for B-School one needs strong experience. Tried to solve past LSAT papers and consistently getting 84-88% correct. Is it worth to study and then take LSAT (in hope to get 172-175 or even higher)?
I have no money and whould it be possible to get any loan/scholarship from any Law School to come to US with a dollar in my pocket?

Thank you in advance

Npret

Gold

Re: To be admitted with only LSAT

Post by Npret » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:24 am

Only a few schools give loans to international students. Harvard is one. You could consider taking the GRE for Harvard and not take the LSAT. They just changed their requirements.You would need a top score.
You would still need to get a visa for school
and then for work In the US.

I think this is a difficult and probably unlikely solution to your problems.

ghytu48

New

Post by ghytu48 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:43 am

Npret wrote:Only a few schools give loans to international students. Harvard is one. You could consider taking the GRE for Harvard and not take the LSAT. They just changed their requirements.You would need a top score.

Is that true that if you are an international and without money it's almost impossible to study in US Law School even with LSAT 175+? No loans, no scholarships? Maybe kinds of assistanships?

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:11 am

ghytu48 wrote:
Npret wrote:Only a few schools give loans to international students. Harvard is one. You could consider taking the GRE for Harvard and not take the LSAT. They just changed their requirements.You would need a top score.

Is that true that if you are an international and without money it's almost impossible to study in US Law School even with LSAT 175+? No loans, no scholarships? Maybe kinds of assistanships?
You can't get loans through the US government which is what students posting here mean when they refer to loans.

I'm not an expert on international student scholarships, need based aid or loans. Maybe someone else can help.

ghytu48

New

Post by ghytu48 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:04 am

Npret wrote:
ghytu48 wrote:

You can't get loans through the US government which is what students posting here mean when they refer to loans.

I'm not an expert on international student scholarships, need based aid or loans. Maybe someone else can help.
Is it possible to get full scholarship including living costs?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HYPSM

Bronze

Post by HYPSM » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:10 am

But why not kill the LSAT and get a scholarship somewhere with a 172+? Taking the GRE for only Harvard seems sightly risky to me.

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:35 am

ghytu48 wrote:
Npret wrote:
ghytu48 wrote:

It's possible to get full tuition scholarships but few schools will give scholarships that cover living expenses too. You'd need a kick ass gpa to qualify for full tuition scholarships as well. Though, I'm not sure how your gpa will impact apps since you're international and the gpa will be reported to schools as superior, above average, average, below average etc. I believe you'd need a superior gpa.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:58 am

Where did you go to university and what were your grades? This is important to figure out if you even have a place to start with.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:02 pm

HYPSM wrote:

But why not kill the LSAT and get a scholarship somewhere with a 172+? Taking the GRE for only Harvard seems sightly risky to me.
I mentioned that only because Harvard is one of the few schools that has loans available for international students.

I don't know how scholarships work for international students but I do know that very few schools offer scholarships with cost of living included. Sounds like OP will need to get all his aid from loans or scholarships. A scholarship that doesn't include living expenses is not enough because he won't be able to get loans to cover his living expenses.

OP your grades will be evaluated so you won't be judged only on your score.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ghytu48

New

Post by ghytu48 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:30 am

Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
ghytu48 wrote:
Npret wrote:
ghytu48 wrote:

It's possible to get full tuition scholarships but few schools will give scholarships that cover living expenses too. You'd need a kick ass gpa to qualify for full tuition scholarships as well. Though, I'm not sure how your gpa will impact apps since you're international and the gpa will be reported to schools as superior, above average, average, below average etc. I believe you'd need a superior gpa.
GPA 3.9/4 from regional Uni in my poor and corrupt country. Do not sure if this counts.
Also probably Prodigy Finance might help with loan without co-signer.
I that real to get full tuition in any school after lsat 175+? No law experience.
If anyone knows somehow that might help please write.

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:42 am

ghytu48 wrote:
Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
ghytu48 wrote:
Npret wrote:
ghytu48 wrote:

GPA 3.9/4 from regional Uni in my poor and corrupt country. Do not sure if this counts.
I that real to get full tuition in any school after lsat 175+? No law experience.
If you scored a 175+ you could probably get a full ride with a stipend at a few of the top schools. It might not be enough to cover living expenses but you could probably get private loans to cover the rest.

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:30 am

HuntedUnicorn wrote:
ghytu48 wrote:
Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
ghytu48 wrote:
Npret wrote:
ghytu48 wrote:

If you scored a 175+ you could probably get a full ride with a stipend at a few of the top schools. It might not be enough to cover living expenses but you could probably get private loans to cover the rest.
The most important thing is going to be working on your English to the point that you're as fluent as possible in it. For a lot of foreigners non-Native English speakers, that's the key to getting a high lsat score.

Also can you explain what you mean by a finance prodigy?

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:34 am

Not OP but I would assume that they were talking about a company- Prodigy Finance- that, and I'm taking a wild guess here, makes loans and not "a finance prodigy" which would be a term that would need explaining.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:45 am

HuntedUnicorn wrote:
ghytu48 wrote:
Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
ghytu48 wrote:
Npret wrote:
ghytu48 wrote:

Your GPA will count.
Can an international student get private loans without a cosigner or assets? He keeps telling us how poor he is can he get loans somewhere?

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:55 am

HuntedUnicorn wrote:Not OP but I would assume that they were talking about a company- Prodigy Finance- that, and I'm taking a wild guess here, makes loans and not "a finance prodigy" which would be a term that would need explaining.
That makes total sense and now I feel appropriately dumb! Thanks for the clarification!

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:58 am

Npret wrote: Your GPA will count.
Can an international student get private loans without a cosigner or assets? He keeps telling us how poor he is can he get loans somewhere?
His gpa will count but it will be reported the way international students' gpas are reported (superior, above average etc). it wont be weighted as heavily as it would be if it was a 3.9 from a US school.

He would likely be eligible for private loans but not government funded loans/financial aid.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:43 am

(1) International students get awarded merit scholarships all the time
(2) Your GPA will presumably be evaluated as "superior"
(3) Even with a 175/Superior, don't expect to have any reputable school give you a cost of living allowance (but you can get full rides at T14s with those numbers), so you'll likely have to figure out how to get money to pay rent and eat
(4) Be advised that the H1B lottery is not going to get any better in the next few years, so even if all goes well and you go to a good school with a full ride and get a job offer, there's a still a solid chance you'll be moving back to your home country

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:50 pm

Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
His gpa will count but it will be reported the way international students' gpas are reported (superior, above average etc). it wont be weighted as heavily as it would be if it was a 3.9 from a US school.

He would likely be eligible for private loans but not government funded loans/financial aid.
Are there companies that give private loans to poor assetless international students without a US cosignor?
I'm asking because I don't know.

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:23 pm

Npret wrote:
Legallylawyer2020 wrote:

Are there companies that give private loans to poor assetless international students without a US cosignor?
I'm asking because I don't know.
Ah, I missed the "doesn't have a co-signer" aspect. I'm not sure. It's possible, but the interest rates are gonna be insane, imo. Not sure how it works if you have no assets/collateral and no co-signer.

ghytu48

New

Post by ghytu48 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:10 am

Guys,

Could you please share your opinion whether I will be able to find the job after top14? I am international white caucasian male. Will the fact that I am from other culture and with some accent (curable) make my chances smaller and to what extent?
And please also share your thoughts regarding the topic.

Thanks

HYPSM

Bronze

Post by HYPSM » Sun May 21, 2017 4:40 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”