scholarship money or retake? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Fuzzbuzzwuzz

New

scholarship money or retake?

Post by Fuzzbuzzwuzz » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:43 pm

163/3.2

$55,500 to Ohio state and waitlisted at Emory and UC Davis.

Take scholarship or retake lsat and reapply/update score at waitlist schools? Would retaking in June help at Emory or Davis this cycle? Or is it better to just retake and reapply next year?

UVA2B

Gold

Re: scholarship money or retake?

Post by UVA2B » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:47 pm

What are your goals for the degree? Where do you want to practice law? What type of law do you want to practice? What sort of salary are you looking for in your legal profession?

These questions matter more than whether one scholarship is your best option or if waitlists will turn into acceptances with a retake.

Fuzzbuzzwuzz

New

Post by Fuzzbuzzwuzz » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:09 pm

UVA2B wrote:What are your goals for the degree? Where do you want to practice law? What type of law do you want to practice? What sort of salary are you looking for in your legal profession?

These questions matter more than whether one scholarship is your best option or if waitlists will turn into acceptances with a retake.
I'd like to work in Criminal law. Not particularly set but I'd like to work for the govt. Prosecutor or public defender.

I don't have much debt from undergrad (less than 10k now) so I want a salary that can pay back my loans. I know everyone says that.

I probably have gotten too laser focused on law school and stopped considering what really matters. I have been waiting to attend for other reasons so I am probably letting myself fall into a trap thinking I have to attend this year since it has been a few years since I've left undergrad.

We'd like to live in california or Pacific Northwest but I applied to Emory and Ohio as we have some connections to both. If i attended Ohio I also would not have to pay housing which makes it even cheaper.

I suppose the right answer is stop. Retake. Reapply next year to schools in the area we actually want to live and not just seek scholarship money from any place.

I feel as if the money from Ohio is good but that's still debt I'd have to take on.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:16 pm

Fuzzbuzzwuzz wrote:
UVA2B wrote:What are your goals for the degree? Where do you want to practice law? What type of law do you want to practice? What sort of salary are you looking for in your legal profession?

I'd like to work in Criminal law. Not particularly set but I'd like to work for the govt. Prosecutor or public defender.

I don't have much debt from undergrad (less than 10k now) so I want a salary that can pay back my loans. I know everyone says that.

I probably have gotten too laser focused on law school and stopped considering what really matters. I have been waiting to attend for other reasons so I am probably letting myself fall into a trap thinking I have to attend this year since it has been a few years since I've left undergrad.

We'd like to live in california or Pacific Northwest but I applied to Emory and Ohio as we have some connections to both. If i attended Ohio I also would not have to pay housing which makes it even cheaper.

I suppose the right answer is stop. Retake. Reapply next year to schools in the area we actually want to live and not just seek scholarship money from any place.

I feel as if the money from Ohio is good but that's still debt I'd have to take on.
Your instincts are right. If you want to practice local criminal law in CA, you need to minimize debt for a CA school. Your best bet is to get a sizable scholarship for the regional school where you want to be a PD or DA. If South, UCLA/USC/UCI/Loyola/Pepperdine (probably leaving some out, but keep in mind this is all cost-dependent, meaning pay next to nothing for any of them) at the right price could work. If Central, probably UCD. If North, Stanford/Berkeley>UCH (still remembering cost outside of Stanford/Berkeley that have more competitive LRAP).

Ohio State and Emory make zero sense for your goals. UCD could make sense, but it has to be at the right price with the right goals in mind. In order to get DA and PD jobs, you'll need to network, extern, and put yourself out there extensively to get it in more competitive local gov't in CA.

Fuzzbuzzwuzz

New

Post by Fuzzbuzzwuzz » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:34 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Fuzzbuzzwuzz wrote:

Your instincts are right. If you want to practice local criminal law in CA, you need to minimize debt for a CA school. Your best bet is to get a sizable scholarship for the regional school where you want to be a PD or DA. If South, UCLA/USC/UCI/Loyola/Pepperdine (probably leaving some out, but keep in mind this is all cost-dependent, meaning pay next to nothing for any of them) at the right price could work. If Central, probably UCD. If North, Stanford/Berkeley>UCH (still remembering cost outside of Stanford/Berkeley that have more competitive LRAP).

Ohio State and Emory make zero sense for your goals. UCD could make sense, but it has to be at the right price with the right goals in mind. In order to get DA and PD jobs, you'll need to network, extern, and put yourself out there extensively to get it in more competitive local gov't in CA.
Thank you. I think part of it is also knowing my gpa will more than likely keep me out of places such as Berkeley, Stanford and UCLA even if I hit 170/72. That is life though and that is okay.

Again, thank you for the help.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:48 pm

Yeah unfortunately your GPA will keep you out of most worthwhile California schools and few schools are worthwhile in the PNW.
That being said, you have somewhat modest goals so if you can snag a decent CA or PNW school on a full ride that'd be great. For the jobs you want, you really should go to school in the market you want to work in so you can foster ties and intern during the school year.

What does your cost of attendance end up being at Ohio?

If your instincts are telling you to retake and not go, you should listen to them. It would suck to have things not pan out the way you wanted and be left kicking yourself and wondering what if.

Fuzzbuzzwuzz

New

Post by Fuzzbuzzwuzz » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:07 am

Rigo wrote:Yeah unfortunately your GPA will keep you out of most worthwhile California schools and few schools are worthwhile in the PNW.
That being said, you have somewhat modest goals so if you can snag a decent CA or PNW school on a full ride that'd be great. For the jobs you want, you really should go to school in the market you want to work in so you can foster ties and intern during the school year.

What does your cost of attendance end up being at Ohio?

If your instincts are telling you to retake and not go, you should listen to them. It would suck to have things not pan out the way you wanted and be left kicking yourself and wondering what if.
Cost of attendance is about $36000 at Ohio. Plus easier connections there. But we don't want to live there for very long so it seems silly to attend and be hoping to get a job in another state.

I guess something like UCLA would be a reach with a much better score but then Id still get much less scholarship money if any.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”