Best Schools for NY Practice Outside NY Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
radon5

New

Best Schools for NY Practice Outside NY

Post by radon5 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:32 pm

Hey all, this may be dumb/already answered, but I wanted to see if people had insight into the best schools to go to for eventually landing in New York City, big law or otherwise, that are both outside NYC and outside the t-14. Do any exist? Would love to hear answers for both big law and non-big law.

Nebby

Diamond

Re: Best Schools for NY Practice Outside NY

Post by Nebby » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:53 pm

The entire T14 (except NYU and CLS obv since they're in NY)

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:55 pm

radon5 wrote:that are both outside NYC and outside the t-14.
Georgetown.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:21 am

So outside of NY schools and schools with national reach, which schools place in NY?

Do you really need someone else to answer that question?

dbalkaran

Silver

Post by dbalkaran » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:53 am

Emory and Vanderbilt would be my guess. You're going to have a hard time finding the answer to that question because people in schools outside of New York may be self-selecting to go to different markets.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

radon5

New

Post by radon5 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:57 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:So outside of NY schools and schools with national reach, which schools place in NY?

I've seen you post this kind of stuff on a lot of forums. If you don't have a helpful answer, just don't post. Is this supposed to make me feel bad? I truly don't get the benefit.

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:05 pm

radon5 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:So outside of NY schools and schools with national reach, which schools place in NY?

I've seen you post this kind of stuff on a lot of forums. If you don't have a helpful answer, just don't post. Is this supposed to make me feel bad? I truly don't get the benefit.
It's more like a "think through your question before asking it" kind of thing. I promise, practicing now will be helpful during law school if you intend to go. This is fairly easily answered by looking at school employment reports.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:06 pm

radon5 wrote:

It's supposed to remind you that you already knew the answer to this, so there wasn't particularly a point to you asking a wider group of people to confirm what you already knew. Along similar lines to your logic: if you don't have a legitimate topic, don't post.

radon5

New

Post by radon5 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:19 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
radon5 wrote:

It's supposed to remind you that you already knew the answer to this, so there wasn't particularly a point to you asking a wider group of people to confirm what you already knew. Along similar lines to your logic: if you don't have a legitimate topic, don't post.
Look at us communicating. I did not know the answer, thus my asking the question, and still do not know the answer. Do you agree with the Vanderbilt and Emory response above?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:14 pm

I can't endorse this, but if you aren't looking for biglaw and just want to land at any firm in the NY area - maybe the Jersey schools right outside of the city? Seton Hall or Rutgers?

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:35 pm

bmathers wrote:I can't endorse this, but if you aren't looking for biglaw and just want to land at any firm in the NY area - maybe the Jersey schools right outside of the city? Seton Hall or Rutgers?
just want to make sure OP understands how much you can't endorse this. This is probably the right answer to the question, but its the wrong answer. There are like 6 other schools in nyc that aren't Columbia/NYU that OP should pick before Seton Hall if they want to work in nyc.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:39 pm

Lavitz wrote:
radon5 wrote:that are both outside NYC and outside the t-14.
Georgetown.
Savage

Was going to post about UT but realized we are excluding T14s from this discussion.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:56 pm

guybourdin wrote:
bmathers wrote:I can't endorse this, but if you aren't looking for biglaw and just want to land at any firm in the NY area - maybe the Jersey schools right outside of the city? Seton Hall or Rutgers?
just want to make sure OP understands how much you can't endorse this. This is probably the right answer to the question, but its the wrong answer. There are like 6 other schools in nyc that aren't Columbia/NYU that OP should pick before Seton Hall if they want to work in nyc.
True but the only 3 schools besides NYU/CLS I would consider before Seton Hall are Fordham, Cardozo, and MAYBE Brooklyn.

St Johns places only in Queens, CUNY is good for only PI, NYLS is NYLS,

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:05 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
True but the only 3 schools besides NYU/CLS I would consider before Seton Hall are Fordham, Cardozo, and MAYBE Brooklyn.

I hear that NYLS places well if you want to work the television circuit, and some firms mistake it for NYU -- so, you have some prestige factor going for ya there. ;-)

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:15 pm

bmathers wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

I hear that NYLS places well if you want to work the television circuit, and some firms mistake it for NYU -- so, you have some prestige factor going for ya there. ;-)
Haha does interning for the Honorable "Judge Sheindlin" count as a clerkship?! :wink:

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:20 pm

bmathers wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

Haha does interning for the Honorable "Judge Sheindlin" count as a clerkship?! :wink:
I would be seriously impressed if you clerked for her. Although, they may call them "directors", or maybe simply "assistants"

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:42 pm

bmathers wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

Definitely counts as a strong soft

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:43 pm

guybourdin wrote:
bmathers wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

Definitely counts as a strong soft
I thought we were talking about post-law school clerkship/internship haha

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”