American VS Temple VS UMD Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
abow6

New

American VS Temple VS UMD

Post by abow6 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:56 pm

Hi there!

I'm having trouble deciding between American University, Temple univeristy and the University of Maryland. I have received scholarships for all three schools:

American 30k
Temple 25k
Maryland 15k

*in state for Maryland

I'm really having trouble weighing the cost vs job outlook for all three and would love some insight from other TLS users!

To add to my dilemma I was put on reserva at Columbia so (even though it's completely unrealistic) I still have a shred of hope for being taken off reserve and admitted after May.

Rigo

Diamond

Re: American VS Temple VS UMD

Post by Rigo » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:42 pm

The the scholarships per year or is that the total?

abow6

New

Post by abow6 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:43 pm

Rigo wrote:The the scholarships per year or is that the total?
That's the amount per year!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:45 pm

What are the costs of attendance for them including everything?
Any chance of living at home for them?

What are you career goals?

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:27 pm

Maryland in-state would be about $15k/yr after that ship, right? I visited the UMD campus in Baltimore recently (was offered the same ship, but OOS). UMD really has a lock on the Maryland market (aka Baltimore, for the most part), but outside of Maryland may be difficult (that is directly from someone on the admissions staff - I appreciated her honesty). The reputation in Maryland is very strong, a pretty stronghold on the market, but spanning out to even DC/Philly/Virginia is a stretch for initial employment.

Philly employment with Temple is not a problem at all - they and Nova are top dogs in that city (employers figure UPenn is off to NYC and are a bit hesitant that they are going to leave for NYC as soon as they can, if hired). However, employment in Maryland wil be much easier with UMD, if that's what you want. Have you ever visited? It's fairly nice, very close to inner harbor, M&T Stadium, Camden Yards. Edgar Allan Poe is buried right outside the law school -- it's a must see (right at the cementary at the Westminster Church that connects to the law school)l

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

saf18hornet

Bronze

Post by saf18hornet » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:43 am

abow6 wrote:Hi there!

I'm having trouble deciding between American University, Temple univeristy and the University of Maryland. I have received scholarships for all three schools:

American 30k
Temple 25k
Maryland 15k

*in state for Maryland

I'm really having trouble weighing the cost vs job outlook for all three and would love some insight from other TLS users!

To add to my dilemma I was put on reserva at Columbia so (even though it's completely unrealistic) I still have a shred of hope for being taken off reserve and admitted after May.

No contest, Temple.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:49 am

saf18hornet wrote: No contest, Temple.
The OP has no stated career or regional goals, so I'm struggling to see how this is a clear decision.

saf18hornet

Bronze

Post by saf18hornet » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:55 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
The OP has no stated career or regional goals, so I'm struggling to see how this is a clear decision.
Temple is the cheapest, has the highest employment score, the lowest under-employment score, and the larger alumni network. Unless OP wants to work in the city of Baltimore, what could outweigh any of the aforementioned?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:59 am

saf18hornet wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Temple is the cheapest, has the highest employment score, the lowest under-employment score, and the larger alumni network. Unless OP wants to work in the city of Baltimore, what could outweigh any of the aforementioned?
The OP wants to work in Baltimore. The OP wants to work in DC/NOVA. The OP wants to work in biglaw. The OP wants to work in Arizona. The OP wants to run for office. The OP wants to be an academic. The OP wants to write poetry and thinks law school will be a great vehicle for that.

There are literally dozens of reasons that one of the other schools on this list (or none of them) might be a better choice. Since we know nothing about the OP's actual ambitions, no one has enough information to give anything resembling clear advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”