How to phrase withdrawal emails Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
khaleesi_k

New

How to phrase withdrawal emails

Post by khaleesi_k » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:06 pm

Hey,

I want to start withdrawing from some of the schools I've gotten into, but I'm not 100% sure how to phrase my emails.

Anyone have advice? What did you guys say?

"I'm emailing you to let you know that I will be withdrawing my application to __________ law school for the class of 2020.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my application and get back to me!"

Something like that?

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Re: How to phrase withdrawal emails

Post by Anon.y.mousse. » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:13 pm

Said something really similar along the lines of "I would like to withdraw my application" and "thank you for your time and consideration"

The_Pluviophile

Bronze

Post by The_Pluviophile » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:22 pm

khaleesi_k wrote:Hey,

I want to start withdrawing from some of the schools I've gotten into, but I'm not 100% sure how to phrase my emails.

"I'm emailing you to let you know that I will be withdrawing my application to __________ law school for the class of 2020.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my application and get back to me!"

Something like that?
Yeah, I've only withdrawn from two schools at this point, and both were waitlists, but that's essentially what I said. I definitely wanted to avoid sounding like I was bitter they put me on a waitlist lol. They might follow up and ask where you are planning on attending, so just be ready for that possibility.

khaleesi_k

New

Post by khaleesi_k » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:30 pm

The_Pluviophile wrote:
khaleesi_k wrote:Hey,

Something like that?
Yeah, I've only withdrawn from two schools at this point, and both were waitlists, but that's essentially what I said. I definitely wanted to avoid sounding like I was bitter they put me on a waitlist lol. They might follow up and ask where you are planning on attending, so just be ready for that possibility.
Yikes I'm actually not sure yet which offer I'm going to be accepting but I want to start withdrawing from schools that I'm sure I'm not going to go to so that they can make room for other students.

Do you think it's awful if I lie?

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:41 pm

You don't need to lie. Just say exactly that. "I've narrowed it down to a few schools and ultimately decided [your school xyz] wasn't the right fit for me. I wanted to go ahead and withdraw because I know there are many people on the waitlist."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

The_Pluviophile

Bronze

Post by The_Pluviophile » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:47 pm

emkay625 wrote:You don't need to lie. Just say exactly that. "I've narrowed it down to a few schools and ultimately decided [your school xyz] wasn't the right fit for me. I wanted to go ahead and withdraw because I know there are many people on the waitlist."
Seconding that phrasing. You're being considerate to other applicants, that's not something you need to skirt around.

khaleesi_k

New

Post by khaleesi_k » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:25 pm

Perfect, I'll do that. Thanks guys!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”