Email notification for status change? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Evelyn2016

New

Email notification for status change?

Post by Evelyn2016 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:33 am

Do T14 law schools generally send email notifications when there is change on the status page? I'm a bit confused as to why people report constantly checking the status checker if this is the case.

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Re: Email notification for status change?

Post by Anon.y.mousse. » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:48 am

Evelyn2016 wrote:Do T14 law schools generally send email notifications when there is change on the status page? I'm a bit confused as to why people report constantly checking the status checker if this is the case.
Typically schools will email you when your application is received, complete, if you are invited to interview, and then when a decision has been made. People constantly check the status checkers because you will not typically get an email when your application goes under review (status checkers say different things to reflect this at different schools), and people also monitor date changes under the "under review" status, which is how people know whether they are UR1, UR2, etc.

If you're someone who is more laid back about the whole process and has the attitude of "i'll get a decision when I get a decision," then there's really no need to check the status checker. If, like most people on here, you want to neurotically track and analyze every stage of the review process, then you will need to check your checkers more frequently. Also, some status checkers will reflect your admissions decision more quickly than waiting for the email once the decision has been made.

Evelyn2016

New

Post by Evelyn2016 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:37 am

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
Evelyn2016 wrote:Do T14 law schools generally send email notifications when there is change on the status page? I'm a bit confused as to why people report constantly checking the status checker if this is the case.
Typically schools will email you when your application is received, complete, if you are invited to interview, and then when a decision has been made. People constantly check the status checkers because you will not typically get an email when your application goes under review (status checkers say different things to reflect this at different schools), and people also monitor date changes under the "under review" status, which is how people know whether they are UR1, UR2, etc.

If you're someone who is more laid back about the whole process and has the attitude of "i'll get a decision when I get a decision," then there's really no need to check the status checker. If, like most people on here, you want to neurotically track and analyze every stage of the review process, then you will need to check your checkers more frequently. Also, some status checkers will reflect your admissions decision more quickly than waiting for the email once the decision has been made.
Thanks for the clarification. What is UR1 vs. UR2?

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Post by Anon.y.mousse. » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:43 am

Evelyn2016 wrote:
Anon.y.mousse. wrote:

Thanks for the clarification. What is UR1 vs. UR2?
Just different stages of committee review. Most schools require that more than one person reads a file before making an admissions decision so monitoring UR1 vs. UR2 (vs. UR3, UR4, etc.) helps give you an idea of how far along you are in the process.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”