WILL A MEDIOCRE UNDERGRAD HINDER CHANCES AT A T14 LAW SCHOOL? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Npret

Gold

Re: WILL A MEDIOCRE UNDERGRAD HINDER CHANCES AT A T14 LAW SCHOOL?

Post by Npret » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:57 pm

I hate to think what law school tuition will be in four years. With interest and projected increases law school transparency has debt financed sticker price at some schools coming out at $330,000 right now. You should not take on undergrad debt if you can avoid it.

sodomojo

Bronze

Post by sodomojo » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:51 pm

TFALAWL wrote:If I could go back, I would've done ROTC at best school I got into -- UG debt free. Then, four years active duty (that helps with admissions, but more importantly, w/ the job hunt, especially clerking/govt. Finally, go to law school for free, using the G.I. Bill.

Also, good job on thinking ahead and trying to plan accordingly. My only recommendation is that you still have an open mind in college: practicing law is great, but you might find something better for you (or, at the very least, you will not regret going to LS knowing you explored other options).

Lastly, based on the UG's you mentioned, I would choose Cal -- but I'm a Cali native and went to a UC-school.
7 years AD actually if you want the UG scholly and full GI Bill for law school. Hopefully that makes you feel a little better about the path you ultimately took.

Brutus_the_Younger

New

Post by Brutus_the_Younger » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:06 pm

Last edited by Brutus_the_Younger on Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CorporateLaw

New

Post by CorporateLaw » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:16 am

I have a new question. I plan to get a BS in Econ and a BA in English. I picked my major based on my interests really. I love economics and the balance of math that comes along with it. I'm also a huge literature enthusiast. But my question is: is this double major okay for law school? Would law school reps look at me weirdly? Should I do something more "law practical"? But I do NOT want to major in pre-law studies or criminal justice...that's way too dreadful.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:45 am

CorporateLaw wrote:I have a new question. I plan to get a BS in Econ and a BA in English. I picked my major based on my interests really. I love economics and the balance of math that comes along with it. I'm also a huge literature enthusiast. But my question is: is this double major okay for law school? Would law school reps look at me weirdly? Should I do something more "law practical"? But I do NOT want to major in pre-law studies or criminal justice...that's way too dreadful.
They truly don't give a shit if you have one major or twelve. They also don't care if those majors are underwater basketweaving or engineering. Major in whatever you want. All that matters is that you 1) maintain a high GPA 2) get a great LSAT and WAY WAY WAY less important but something you should still do 3) join some clubs/volunteer/get internships/run for leadership positions. Law school is 90% a numbers game. Your school name/prestige, major, club interests, etc. are the last 10%. If you absolutely bombed, and I mean bombed, on all fronts, then you would still be in a fantastic position if you kill the LSAT and get a great GPA (two things you should be doing regardless if you're interested in going to a law school with a big scholarship/that will actually land you employment).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”