Seat Deposit - Help Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawschoolapp2020

New

Seat Deposit - Help

Post by lawschoolapp2020 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:11 pm

Hello all,

Thank you in advance for your help.

Recently, I submitted a seat deposit to school A. After some discussion with family, we determined that it would be best that I attend school B which is closer to home, given recent family circumstances. Since I already submitted a seat deposit to school A, would it be okay if I withdrew my application and submitted the seat deposit at school B?

I understand schools don't want applicants to hold multiple seat deposits. But, if I withdrew my application from school A and only held a deposit at school B that would be okay, right?

I'm a little nervous about this whole situation and could use help/advice.
Last edited by lawschoolapp2020 on Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawschoolapp2020

New

Re: Seat Deposit

Post by lawschoolapp2020 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:19 pm

For what it's worth: school A strongly discourages multiple deposits. School B, where I want to attend, doesn't seem to say anything about it. Would rather not name names on which schools I'm referring to.

lymenheimer

Gold

Re: Seat Deposit - Help

Post by lymenheimer » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:54 pm

Why would it not be okay?

lawschoolapp2020

New

Post by lawschoolapp2020 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:59 pm

lymenheimer wrote:Why would it not be okay?
I was given a scholarship to both schools and it was my understanding that some schools will rescind a scholarship if you deposit at multiple schools.

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:08 pm

lawschoolapp2020 wrote:
I was given a scholarship to both schools and it was my understanding that some schools will rescind a scholarship if you deposit at multiple schools.
1) It depends on what the school says regarding depositing. Follow their instructions.

2) Your question wasn't "can I deposit at multiple schools," it was (in sum): "is it okay to withdraw my application from school A and deposit at school B?"

3) You said school A is stingy about double depositing, not B. Why would it matter if school A rescinds your scholarship if you are going to school B?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawschoolapp2020

New

Post by lawschoolapp2020 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:12 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
lawschoolapp2020 wrote:
1) It depends on what the school says regarding depositing. Follow their instructions.

2) Your question wasn't "can I deposit at multiple schools," it was (in sum): "is it okay to withdraw my application from school A and deposit at school B?"

3) You said school A is stingy about double depositing, not B. Why would it matter if school A rescinds your scholarship if you are going to school B?
1) can't find anything online. I'll call and ask.

2) "and still keep my scholarship there." otherwise, nailed it.

3) It doesn't. You're right, I only care about school B. I should have clarified in the earlier post.

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:25 pm

Not exactly but okay...If you withdraw from school A, how are you holding a seat deposit there?

lawschoolapp2020

New

Post by lawschoolapp2020 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:30 pm

lymenheimer wrote:Not exactly but okay...If you withdraw from school A, how are you holding a seat deposit there?
Submitted the first deposit.

Was admitted via regular decision and not through an early decision program.

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:32 pm

lawschoolapp2020 wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:Not exactly but okay...If you withdraw from school A, how are you holding a seat deposit there?

That's not what I'm asking...
nevermind.
Last edited by lymenheimer on Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:33 pm

lawschoolapp2020 wrote:

...right.

The point @lymenheimer was trying to make was that if you withdraw, you're no longer holding a seat deposit at that school. You can't be holding a place at a school you've withdrawn from. I'm really struggling to understand your problem here.

lawschoolapp2020

New

Post by lawschoolapp2020 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:39 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
lawschoolapp2020 wrote:

...right.

The point @lymenheimer was trying to make was that if you withdraw, you're no longer holding a seat deposit at that school. You can't be holding a place at a school you've withdrawn from. I'm really struggling to understand your problem here.
I guess just chalk it up to me being a paranoid 0L. I had a feeling that it would be okay - provided I withdrew. However, I wanted to pose the question on here to make sure.

lawschoolapp2020

New

Post by lawschoolapp2020 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:40 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
lawschoolapp2020 wrote:

That's not what I'm asking...
nevermind.
Sorry, I misread your post. Thank you for your help, lymenheimer.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:19 pm

Yeah you'd just be forfeiting your deposit. I don't see the issue here.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chicagoburger

Bronze

Post by chicagoburger » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:31 pm

lawschoolapp2020 wrote:Hello all,

Thank you in advance for your help.

Recently, I submitted a seat deposit to school A. After some discussion with family, we determined that it would be best that I attend school B which is closer to home, given recent family circumstances. Since I already submitted a seat deposit to school A, would it be okay if I withdrew my application and submitted the seat deposit at school B?

I understand schools don't want applicants to hold multiple seat deposits. But, if I withdrew my application from school A and only held a deposit at school B that would be okay, right?

I'm a little nervous about this whole situation and could use help/advice.
I would suggest your reconsider your decision again without the influence of your family, especially if that's from your parents.
School A could be a better choice than school B if that's where your heart goes.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:35 pm

chicagoburger wrote: I would suggest your reconsider your decision again without the influence of your family, especially if that's from your parents.
School A could be a better choice than school B if that's where your heart goes.
Then again, some people have stupid hearts that tell them to go to bad schools.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”