Application Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CottonHarvest

Bronze

Application

Post by CottonHarvest » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:55 pm

What do law school applications look like? Are they all different or generally the same? It's not like you fill out one on LSAC like the common app is it? How long does it take to fill out the application?

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Re: Application

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:26 pm

You can go on LSAC and just look at applications. You dont to pay for them if you dont submit them.

WamBamThankYouMaam

Bronze

Post by WamBamThankYouMaam » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:02 pm

They're all very similar, but LSAC makes if very easy to just fly through them. Once you input info in a category for one school, it'll automatically show up in each school's application you just have to confirm it.

CottonHarvest

Bronze

Post by CottonHarvest » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:22 pm

Do they have like short answer questions? How are they different from school to school?

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:25 pm

CottonHarvest wrote:Do they have like short answer questions? How are they different from school to school?
Applications differ in relatively short and minor ways for the most part. Schools will often have optional supplemental essays regarding your interest in law or what you can contribute to their student body.

The one thing that I, personally, found annoying were minor variations in the structure of C&F issues. Some would ask for one upload, others would ask for a divide along criminal vs. academic, others would ask for a further addition along past and pending, etc. I only had minor issues, but I found it a little frustrating to organize my C&F attachments slightly different.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

etramak

Silver

Post by etramak » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:11 pm

So does this mean we have to alter the personal statement for each application in order to tailor it to the school?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:23 pm

etramak wrote:So does this mean we have to alter the personal statement for each application in order to tailor it to the school?
No.

mrtux45

Bronze

Post by mrtux45 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:36 am

Rigo wrote:
etramak wrote:So does this mean we have to alter the personal statement for each application in order to tailor it to the school?
No.
I slightly disagree here only to let OP know that they MUST read the personal statement prompt before submitting. Some schools ask for a general personal statement, while others ask for a more "why law" centered statement. Few (Iowa comes to mind), ask specifically why you'd want to move to the state/region of the law school.

You can use the same personal statement for all of them, just make sure you do minor adjustments, if necessary, to fit the prompt.

etramak

Silver

Post by etramak » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:46 am

mrtux45 wrote:
Rigo wrote:
No.
I slightly disagree here only to let OP know that they MUST read the personal statement prompt before submitting. Some schools ask for a general personal statement, while others ask for a more "why law" centered statement. Few (Iowa comes to mind), ask specifically why you'd want to move to the state/region of the law school.

You can use the same personal statement for all of them, just make sure you do minor adjustments, if necessary, to fit the prompt.
Thanks! I was really asking if the personal statement should have a paragraph reserved for "Why I'm a good candidate for X Law School" but I guess that's not the case.

Not to derail the thread, but since you say some schools ask for a "why law" personal statement, is it frowned upon if your default PS answers a "why law" question? And do some schools want a PS and a separate "why law" essay (which I would assume means you'd have to alter your "why law" PS)?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:52 am

etramak wrote: Thanks! I was really asking if the personal statement should have a paragraph reserved for "Why I'm a good candidate for X Law School" but I guess that's not the case.
Not to derail the thread, but since you say some schools ask for a "why law" personal statement, is it frowned upon if your default PS answers a "why law" question? And do some schools want a PS and a separate "why law" essay (which I would assume means you'd have to alter your "why law" PS)?
Most PS's are Why Law. It's not a bad thing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”