Registering for June LSAT with apps pending? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lagavulinjoe

New

Registering for June LSAT with apps pending?

Post by lagavulinjoe » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:11 pm

I want to preserve the option of retaking the LSAT in June to help with scholarships and possible wait lists (or even possibly applying again next cycle). The registration deadline is not until April but the only testing location near me is almost full, so I would have register very soon if I want to test at a convenient location.

Would registering for the June exam at this point have any negative consequences for my many pending applications? Should I notify all the schools with whom I have pending applications and request they not hold my file for this score? Would this cause some schools just to throw me on a wait list in anticipation of another score?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

cavalier1138

Re: Registering for June LSAT with apps pending?

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:25 pm

You shouldn't be applying to any schools that will accept you for the next cycle based on a June LSAT score. So no point in notifying them of anything, but you should probably not plan on going to any dumpster fire of a school that seriously considers students after April.

The only thing the June LSAT will be good for in this cycle will be for waitlists and scholarship negotiation, but it's really just a much better test for applying early next cycle.

lagavulinjoe

New

Post by lagavulinjoe » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:52 pm

According to Dave Killoran a number of well regarded schools - including some t-14s - will accept June LSAT scores even without another score already on file: http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/which-t ... -june-lsat

I doubt most of these schools would actually admit many June first-time LSAT takers, but I worry about some automated process where LSAC tells a school I have an LSAT administration pending and the school automatically puts a hold my file.

My other worry is that a school inclined to admit me or on the fence about me sees I've registered for the June exam and decides to just put me on a wait list on the chance they may be able to squeeze a higher score out of me.

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:55 pm

I would call the schools and ask. Some schools might want you to send in an "addendum" of sorts indicating that you would like your file reviewed with your current score.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:04 pm

lagavulinjoe wrote:According to Dave Killoran a number of well regarded schools - including some t-14s - will accept June LSAT scores even without another score already on file: http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/which-t ... -june-lsat

I doubt most of these schools would actually admit many June first-time LSAT takers, but I worry about some automated process where LSAC tells a school I have an LSAT administration pending and the school automatically puts a hold my file.

My other worry is that a school inclined to admit me or on the fence about me sees I've registered for the June exam and decides to just put me on a wait list on the chance they may be able to squeeze a higher score out of me.
I'm sure those schools technically say they consider the applicants, but the classes are full at any legitimate school by May or June. So, in a word, they're bullshitting students into sending them an extra $60 for nothing.

If a school is already considering admitting you, they aren't going to waitlist you based on the potential that your score might go up, so in general, your worries about this are pretty unfounded. Retake in June, but I'd plan on using it next cycle if you can't negotiate yourself into good money and/or off the right waitlist.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”