Bringing a significant other to Harvard ASW Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kpadoreo

New

Bringing a significant other to Harvard ASW

Post by kpadoreo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:41 pm

So I've been accepted at Harvard and am attending their ASW with my significant other. I'm wondering if anyone else is doing this for Harvard, or has done this at another school before. Harvard specifically asked if I was bringing someone so I ticked the box, and I guess there are some special events he can attend. He's coming with me to visit another university where he will be studying and to check out Boston/Cambridge.
I'm just wondering if there are other people that do this, or if my s.o. will feel weird being there and not being an admitted student.

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Re: Bringing a significant other to Harvard ASW

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:47 pm

I can't speak to Harvard's ASW specifically, but it's not uncommon at ASWs in general. Makes way more sense than bringing along parents as guests too.

GoBucks6612

New

Post by GoBucks6612 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:47 pm

kpadoreo wrote:So I've been accepted at Harvard and am attending their ASW with my significant other. I'm wondering if anyone else is doing this for Harvard, or has done this at another school before. Harvard specifically asked if I was bringing someone so I ticked the box, and I guess there are some special events he can attend. He's coming with me to visit another university where he will be studying and to check out Boston/Cambridge.
I'm just wondering if there are other people that do this, or if my s.o. will feel weird being there and not being an admitted student.
I will be bringing my fiancee to the first Harvard ASW. The schedule for ASW for them looks almost the same as our schedule except for one or two things - it looks like they will have plenty to do. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions and I look forward to seeing you there!

anonymous user 100

New

Post by anonymous user 100 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:48 pm

You'll see me and my spouse there together (for the parts where they are allowed to participate) too.

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:10 pm

Did this at another school - brought my SO to check out the school with me and to the more social components of ASD. Didn't bring SO to the more substantive parts. During that time, my SO checked out a few apartments we'd picked out in advance

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kpadoreo

New

Post by kpadoreo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:18 pm

floatie wrote:Did this at another school - brought my SO to check out the school with me and to the more social components of ASD. Didn't bring SO to the more substantive parts. During that time, my SO checked out a few apartments we'd picked out in advance
Yeah, this sounds like what we are planning as well. I assume he will do something else during the mock lectures and the like.
Were you able to find apartments for the fall this early on? I was thinking of doing that but we're not looking for an apartment until August 1st.

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:58 pm

kpadoreo wrote:
floatie wrote:Did this at another school - brought my SO to check out the school with me and to the more social components of ASD. Didn't bring SO to the more substantive parts. During that time, my SO checked out a few apartments we'd picked out in advance
Yeah, this sounds like what we are planning as well. I assume he will do something else during the mock lectures and the like.
Were you able to find apartments for the fall this early on? I was thinking of doing that but we're not looking for an apartment until August 1st.
The cities we have gone to (or will be going to in the next couple of weeks) are known for having a shortage of housing, so we wanted to get an early start on locking down a 1BR - plus sometimes if you're willing to put a deposit down or sign a lease in advance, you get a break on a month's rent or something to that effect. Some places already list availability for fall but we'll be continuing our search in the summer once I pick where I'm going. For now, we mostly want to get a feel for different neighborhoods and the quality of different apartments.

NoLongerALurker

Bronze

Post by NoLongerALurker » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:02 pm

Hell, I brought a girl I had been on one date with and was trying to impress.

Didn't really work out long term, but a discount hotel room out of town on a second date was a good call.

OP - you'll be fine to bring your SO.

kpadoreo

New

Post by kpadoreo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:35 pm

Thanks for the replies. Did anyone find a hotel room/airbnb close to Harvard or within Boston even that is reasonably priced?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:48 pm

kpadoreo wrote:Thanks for the replies. Did anyone find a hotel room/airbnb close to Harvard or within Boston even that is reasonably priced?
Hotels that are located at the terminal ends of T stations are usually pretty reasonably priced. I'd look for stuff near the Alewife station which is reasonably close to Harvard

kpadoreo

New

Post by kpadoreo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:19 am

I found a pretty good deal at Hotel Tria, which also has a shuttle to Harvard. Worth checking out!

nunumaster

Silver

Post by nunumaster » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:26 am

NoLongerALurker wrote:Hell, I brought a girl I had been on one date with and was trying to impress.

Didn't really work out long term, but a discount hotel room out of town on a second date was a good call.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Mr. Suave.

mathaddict

New

Post by mathaddict » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:28 am

NoLongerALurker wrote:Hell, I brought a girl I had been on one date with and was trying to impress.

I really hope this is true

NoLongerALurker

Bronze

Post by NoLongerALurker » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:38 pm

mathaddict wrote:

I really hope this is true
The timing was great because it was the Boston manhunt weekend so the whole city was shut down and we were forced to just hang in room for most of the day. The only bad thing was that I hate meeting new people but was trying to come off as social so once we got to HLS I had to keep introducing myself to strangers rather than just sitting in the corner eating from the cheese trays. In hindsight I'm not sure if sacrificing all that free cheese was worth it. Can confirm she was impressed though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”