2018 USNWR Rankings Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Hikikomorist

Platinum

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Post by Hikikomorist » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:39 pm

wiz wrote:Just saw your CS comment: Cornell has a pretty good CS program, and I've seen some of the bonkers numbers being thrown around at FB/GOOG/MSFT/AMZN for coders. It depends on school, internships, github page, and interviewing, but I've seen some packages starting out well over $200k for the first year.

For example: $130k base, $100k signing bonus, $200k stock vesting over 3.5 years, ~10% bonus.

That's a 22 year old CS grad making $280k his first year and then maybe $190k the next year (depending on raises).
Jesus. How large a contingent are we talking about who are receiving those offers?

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze

Post by FascinatedWanderer » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:40 pm

dbalkaran wrote:
FascinatedWanderer wrote:
dbalkaran wrote:
FascinatedWanderer wrote:A quick linkedin search on past employer McKinsey with school Bentley turned up 32 people. Same search for Columbia turned up about 200,000.

Bain turns up a whopping 78 for Bentley. Really crushing it.

Sorry for edits.
Columbia has significantly more alumni than Bentley on LinkedIn so yeah no shit. And again I didn't imply at any point that Bentley is better than an Ivy League, but to say Bentley is a bad school is just wrong. They do place well into the top banks, consulting and accounting firms especially considering the school was established in 1917 and you're comparing it to Columbia which has been around since the 1700s. I could really care less what you think however to get back to my original point before this pointless discussion was started undergrad prestige is stupid because aside form the Ivies there are very few schools that are considered top schools for multiple things. In general a 3.7-4.0 GPA regardless of where you went to undergrad is going to open doors for you.
I am so sorry I offended you. Truly I cannot say that enough. I know how deeply shameful it must be for you and your family that you went to Bentley, so I will drop the issue. Again, my condolences that you went to Bentley.
You didn't offend me. That would imply I care what you think.
Never change. You might be a good candidate for SullCrom down the line if you go to a better law school than Bentley is an undergrad school.

wiz

Diamond

Post by wiz » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:41 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
wiz wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
wiz wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote: Maybe it's my poor upbringing/lack of imagination, but I can't think of UG equivalents to clerkships/ACLU-like organizations that would pull graduates away from MBB/IB/Google in significant numbers. For example, at my school at least, TFA wasn't attracting the top graduates. I guess you could take 5 percent from the 40 percent to account for prestigious fellowships (which we still haven't ranked!).
I agree with you, man, and I don't know too many people who turned down $200k for TFA either.

I just got roasted for the MBB/IB/Google argument earlier, so I'm trying to be more careful about the salary-based assumptions I make now.

And I feel like a lot of people who take a fellowship or TFA or do another stint in their 20s exploring their passions end up getting closer to their earning potential later in life as they start families and have more expenses, so maybe weight midcareer salary heavier?
Maybe jobs with prestigious newspapers and working on the hill? I'm not that sure, though. That said, I'm pretty sure that IB analysts do not start near $200k even with their bonus, and I'm fairly certain (I'd dare to say positive) that MBB analysts do not start near $200k.

For computer science, I have no idea. Programmer salaries have gone absolutely haywire over the past few years that a really brilliant friend of mine from UG (I assume Cornell ranks near the top for computer science, but I'm not certain) said he made less starting out at one of the brand name internet companies than they pay graduates of top bootcamps now.
You're right. Fresh IB analysts are $150k-$160k at bulge brackets. They can approach $200k as second to third year analysts.

At MBB you're looking at $115k-$120k straight out of undergrad (plus a sweet 401k match).

I was thinking about the two-year TFA commitment and just kind of threw out a number.
Really? Median total compensation for a McKinsey analyst looks to be $90k on Glassdoor.
That's probably outdated or not factoring in the total comp package.

Base is $80k, but bonus is $20k, signing is $5k, relocation is $5k-$10k, 401k can be another $10k-$15k.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:41 pm

34iplaw wrote:TBH, I thought they were both lower, but I haven't looked at it in awhile so I'm surprised that it is as high as you said it was. Granted, the economy is also just wildly different than when I graduated. I thought it was more like $115k for IB (granted, salary figures could probably be skewed by "real" IBD jobs versus support roles that graduates take) plus some bonus maybe and MBB was closer to $95k.

(note: I used quotes because I generally hate these kinds of discussions of "prestige" and "outcomes" unless someone is obnoxious and I want to get under their skin. It's generally super easy to get under someone's skin that only cares about prestige.)

@Hikko, I'm surprised they get paid that much, but I do know a lot of smart people that went to newspapers. Granted, I don't think many of these people ever entertained the idea of going IB/MBB, as it isn't the 90s where an English major can land an investment banking job with a high enough GPA and undergraduate pedigree.
MBB is still on the table, though, right?

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:43 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
wiz wrote:Just saw your CS comment: Cornell has a pretty good CS program, and I've seen some of the bonkers numbers being thrown around at FB/GOOG/MSFT/AMZN for coders. It depends on school, internships, github page, and interviewing, but I've seen some packages starting out well over $200k for the first year.

For example: $130k base, $100k signing bonus, $200k stock vesting over 3.5 years, ~10% bonus.

That's a 22 year old CS grad making $280k his first year and then maybe $190k the next year (depending on raises).
Jesus. How large a contingent are we talking about who are receiving those offers?
I think that is probably relatively small amount with probably some really specific programming skills. That said, it doesn't really shock me. I mean Hackreactor SF has a 98% hire rate at an average salary of $104k.

http://www.hackreactor.com/outcomes-san-francisco

My main concern with programming is the dumb money in SV dries up or wisens up and the huge pressure to outsource those kinds of starting salaries. Then again, I kind of get why people don't outsource programming all the time (having just done this myself.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wiz

Diamond

Post by wiz » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:45 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:

That would be someone FB/GOOG/MSFT really wanted—internship at the company and competing offers. It's a small contingent, but it does happen. Some special snowflakes do even better.

I would say the average package at the top tech companies looks more like $110k base, $20k signing bonus, $60k stock, 10% end of year bonus.

Still comfortably $130k+ after including stock and bonus.

CS bros who get gigs at those companies have it pretty good. I've also seen some pretty eye-popping numbers from Uber and Snapchat pre IPO.

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:46 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
34iplaw wrote:TBH, I thought they were both lower, but I haven't looked at it in awhile so I'm surprised that it is as high as you said it was. Granted, the economy is also just wildly different than when I graduated. I thought it was more like $115k for IB (granted, salary figures could probably be skewed by "real" IBD jobs versus support roles that graduates take) plus some bonus maybe and MBB was closer to $95k.

(note: I used quotes because I generally hate these kinds of discussions of "prestige" and "outcomes" unless someone is obnoxious and I want to get under their skin. It's generally super easy to get under someone's skin that only cares about prestige.)

@Hikko, I'm surprised they get paid that much, but I do know a lot of smart people that went to newspapers. Granted, I don't think many of these people ever entertained the idea of going IB/MBB, as it isn't the 90s where an English major can land an investment banking job with a high enough GPA and undergraduate pedigree.
MBB is still on the table, though, right?
Haha - zero idea. Possibly. Hell, they may still have a shot at IB. It's just definitely not the same as it was in the 90s regarding banking recruiting. MBBs seem to be slightly more open than IBs, but I haven't looked at this in some time.

I will say the best undergraduate outcome I saw was a MBB consultant for luxury hotels. Instead of traveling to podunk whatever, constantly traveling to insane places.

wiz

Diamond

Post by wiz » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:47 pm

34iplaw wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:

I think that is probably relatively small amount with probably some really specific programming skills. That said, it doesn't really shock me. I mean Hackreactor SF has a 98% hire rate at an average salary of $104k.

My main concern with programming is the dumb money in SV dries up or wisens up and the huge pressure to outsource those kinds of starting salaries. Then again, I kind of get why people don't outsource programming all the time (having just done this myself.)
Yeah, it really depends. I still think there's a lot of opportunity out there for CS people with in demand skillsets (e.g., machine learning).

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:48 pm

wiz wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:

That would be someone FB/GOOG/MSFT really wanted—internship at the company and competing offers. It's a small contingent, but it does happen. Some special snowflakes do even better.

I would say the average package at the top tech companies looks more like $110k base, $20k signing bonus, $60k stock, 10% end of year bonus.

CS bros who get gigs at those companies have it pretty good. I've also seen some pretty eye-popping numbers from Uber and Snapchat pre IPO.
I really screwed up in UG.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:52 pm

wiz wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:

Yeah, it really depends. I still think there's a lot of opportunity out there for CS people with in demand skillsets (e.g., machine learning).
Yeah - will need to hustle still. That said, many of my friends at places like FB/Google have said that learning to program and having any semblance of people and management skills will get you into pretty sweet jobs pretty quickly. A lot of the programmers coming in, supposedly, can be difficult people and challenging to retain since they are in such high demand and, unlike many other industries, changing jobs fairly often isn't nearly as frowned upon.

I've actually sort of toyed around with the idea of doing a boot camp, trying to get a job with some type of partnership with a Stanford or Columbia, and pursuing a MS while working or something.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:55 pm

34iplaw wrote:
wiz wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:

Yeah - will need to hustle still. That said, many of my friends at places like FB/Google have said that learning to program and having any semblance of people and management skills will get you into pretty sweet jobs pretty quickly. A lot of the programmers coming in, supposedly, can be difficult people and challenging to retain since they are in such high demand and, unlike many other industries, changing jobs fairly often isn't nearly as frowned upon.

I've actually sort of toyed around with the idea of doing a boot camp, trying to get a job with some type of partnership with a Stanford or Columbia, and pursuing a MS while working or something.
Yeah, it's really tempting, but I doubt those $200k packages are going to bootcamp graduates.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:55 pm

Who knows, I might also be too dumb to code well.

wiz

Diamond

Post by wiz » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:56 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
wiz wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:

I really screwed up in UG.
I think most of us did, brother. Otherwise we wouldn't be on a law school messageboard.

We can only work with the best information we have available at the time, though, and what you do from here on out is on you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:58 pm

Hikikomorist wrote: Yeah, it's really tempting, but I doubt those $200k packages are going to bootcamp graduates.
Oh - they aren't, but the average bootcamp grad from Hackreactor (granted, not an average bootcamp) are starting at $105k in SF. A not insignificant portion of them are making more as well. I think that's why you would aim to try to get a role with some kind of support of getting a MS elsewhere so you can help put yourself on even footing with UG comp sci people.

Re: too dumb to code - probably not. You probably could code relatively easily. Apparently, there is a fair amount of overlap to those who have the type of mind that works well on the LSAT. At a very basic level, computer science is almost like building your own logic games, but they actually serve a function. Then again, my programming experience is limited to debugging my website, and Excel programs/formulas that would make your eyes bleed.
Last edited by 34iplaw on Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wiz

Diamond

Post by wiz » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:00 pm

Tbf, those IBD comp packages could come crashing back down if/when there's another recession since they're basically structured as 60/40 or 50/50 base/bonus.

But yeah, obviously talking front office analysts here and not middle office or back office roles.
Last edited by wiz on Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pomeranian

Bronze

Post by Pomeranian » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:00 pm

wiz wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
wiz wrote:

And they have really nice perks (free gourmet cafeteria on premises, sleeping pods, etc) and chill laid back working environment. :*(
Last edited by Pomeranian on Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:01 pm

I could have been retired by now. :cry:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:02 pm

Pomeranian wrote:
wiz wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
wiz wrote:

And they have really nice perks (free gourmet cafeteria on premises, sleeping pods, etc) and chill laid back working environment. :*(
Read an article about someone going homeless and living there. JFC. $250k with no living expenses.

wiz

Diamond

Post by wiz » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:03 pm

Pomeranian wrote:
wiz wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
wiz wrote:

And they have really nice perks (free gourmet food cafeteria on premises, sleeping pods, etc) and laid back working environment. :*(
Yup, seriously incredible life if you can land it.

Their comp to hours ratio is insanely good, especially compared to demanding BB/consulting/biglaw.

kingpin101

Bronze

Post by kingpin101 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:05 pm

Yeah it's honestly the environment that I really am jelly of. No "if you don't bill 2400 hours you get the boot", t-shirt and jeans everyday, no partners that act like wrathful demigods, etc. I heard from some of my colleagues (I was a CS major in undergrad, yeah fuck me right?) that it's basically college 2.0.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:23 am

wiz wrote:
Pomeranian wrote:
wiz wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
wiz wrote:

And they have really nice perks (free gourmet food cafeteria on premises, sleeping pods, etc) and laid back working environment. :*(

Their comp to hours ratio is insanely good, especially compared to demanding BB/consulting/biglaw.
I don't know where the flame started that SV techies have a chill, laid-back work life. There's a reason that the companies provide food and sleeping pods—they want their employees to literally live at work. My friends at the big tech companies work big law hours.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:29 am

But rpupkin, the PRESTIGE.

wiz

Diamond

Post by wiz » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:38 am

rpupkin wrote:
wiz wrote:
Pomeranian wrote:
wiz wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
wiz wrote:

I don't know where the flame started that SV techies have a chill, laid-back work life. There's a reason that the companies provide food and sleeping pods—they want their employees to literally live at work. My friends at the big tech companies work big law hours.
Might be the case for startups and some of the more grueling groups in Google/Amazon, but definitely not true across the board. There are plenty of CS jobs in CA and Seattle that pay well and don't require biglaw hours.

dbalkaran

Silver

Post by dbalkaran » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:40 pm

dbalkaran wrote:
dbalkaran wrote:
FascinatedWanderer wrote:A quick linkedin search on past employer McKinsey with school Bentley turned up 32 people. Same search for Columbia turned up about 200,000.

Bain turns up a whopping 78 for Bentley. Really crushing it.

Sorry for edits.
Columbia has significantly more alumni than Bentley on LinkedIn so yeah no shit. And again I didn't imply at any point that Bentley is better than an Ivy League, but to say Bentley is a bad school is just wrong. They do place well into the top banks, consulting and accounting firms especially considering the school was established in 1917 and you're comparing it to Columbia which has been around since the 1700s. I could really care less what you think however to get back to my original point before this pointless discussion was started undergrad prestige is stupid because aside form the Ivies there are very few schools that are considered top schools for multiple things. In general a 3.7-4.0 GPA regardless of where you went to undergrad is going to open doors for you.
I am so sorry I offended you. Truly I cannot say that enough. I know how deeply shameful it must be for you and your family that you went to Bentley, so I will drop the issue. Again, my condolences that you went to Bentley.
You didn't offend me. That would imply I care what you think.
Never change. You might be a good candidate for SullCrom down the line if you go to a better law school than Bentley is an undergrad school.
Dad is that you?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:22 pm

wiz wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
wiz wrote:
Pomeranian wrote:
wiz wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
wiz wrote:

Might be the case for startups and some of the more grueling groups in Google/Amazon, but definitely not true across the board. There are plenty of CS jobs in CA and Seattle that pay well and don't require biglaw hours.
Sure but those aren't the ones with the gourmet restaurants on site and the sleeping pods.

I mean seriously lol at sleeping pods as a perk. If you aren't a firefighter or er doc working the overnight shift run don't walk from places that have sleeping areas on site.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”