2018 USNWR Rankings Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Moneytrees

Silver

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Post by Moneytrees » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:28 am

jbagelboy wrote:UCLA and Boston University are super random. Otherwise, I get it, sort of. My experience working, living, and studying in western europe is that professionals know the five or so elite northeastern schools (HYPMC) pretty well and maybe random midwestern schools like Northwestern or Washington University; maybe Cal and Stanford (but surprising how often not). Whereas in South Korea, Cal and Stanford were gods among mortals.
Lol at Wash U being known in Europe. Schools like UCLA and BU are recognized by some because they are big research institutions in well-known cities.

Pomeranian

Bronze

Post by Pomeranian » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:09 am

jbagelboy wrote:UCLA and Boston University are super random. Otherwise, I get it, sort of. My experience working, living, and studying in western europe is that professionals know the five or so elite northeastern schools (HYPMC) pretty well and maybe random midwestern schools like Northwestern or Washington University; maybe Cal and Stanford (but surprising how often not). Whereas in South Korea, Cal and Stanford were gods among mortals.
WUSTL? wtf

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:30 am

curry1 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:This is an excellent development ITT. It's nice to see data-driven confirmation that Duke's "prestige," such as it is, doesn't really extend outside the South. Meanwhile, Penn struggles to maintain pace with the likes of UC Davis. LOL @ these obscure institutions.
I have to admit I'm disappointed with UChicago's name recognition among random Italians.
Chicago doesn't even have name recognition among many Chicago dwellers

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:18 pm

chargers21 wrote:
curry1 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:This is an excellent development ITT. It's nice to see data-driven confirmation that Duke's "prestige," such as it is, doesn't really extend outside the South. Meanwhile, Penn struggles to maintain pace with the likes of UC Davis. LOL @ these obscure institutions.
I have to admit I'm disappointed with UChicago's name recognition among random Italians.
I think I care even less about UChicago's "prestige" among random Midwestern poor/middle class people.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:08 pm

curry1 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
curry1 wrote:
I think I care even less about UChicago's "prestige" among random Midwestern poor/middle class people.
Now we should really lock this.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:05 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
curry1 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
curry1 wrote:
Agreed here. Thread went from -> shitting on GULC -> discussion about whether its t13,t14, or t15 -> discussion about the rankings -> discussion about the prestige of undergrads -> discussion about prestige of undergrad biz programs -> discussion of lay prestige -> making mean spirited comments about midwesterners

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:56 pm

foregetaboutdre wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
curry1 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
curry1 wrote:
Agreed here. Thread went from -> shitting on GULC -> discussion about whether its t13,t14, or t15 -> discussion about the rankings -> discussion about the prestige of undergrads -> discussion about prestige of undergrad biz programs -> discussion of lay prestige -> making mean spirited comments about midwesterners
I mean has that part of the country ever done anything for the world? They're sort of useless. They're not even by a real coast.

Pomeranian

Bronze

Post by Pomeranian » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:08 pm

Dcc617 wrote:
foregetaboutdre wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
curry1 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
curry1 wrote:
I mean has that part of the country ever done anything for the world? They're sort of useless. They're not even by a real coast.
Is this a joke? The American midwest basically feeds the world. It's called the breadbasket of the world for a reason.

On top of that, many of country's most important companies are based in the midwest. Just ones in the Chicago area:

* Boeing
* McDonald's
* Motorola
* Motorola Mobility
* United Continental Airlines
* Walgreens
* Kraft Foods
* Sara Lee
* Allstate Insurance
* Discover Financial
* Abbott Laboratories
* Sears
* Exelon
* Baxter
* Illinois Tool Works
* CDW
* Navistar
* Aon
* RR Donnelley
* Dover Corporation
* WW Grainger
* Tenneco
* OfficeMax
* Anixter
* Ingredion
* CF Industries
* TDS
* United Stationers

Illinois, not in the Chicago MSA:
* Archer Daniels Midland
* State Farm Insurance
* Caterpillar
* Deere (aka John Deere)
* Corn Products International

Minnesota:
* Target
* Best Buy
* Supervalu
* UnitedHealth Group
* 3M
* Medtronic
* General Mills
* US Bancorp
* CHS
* Land O Lakes
* Xcel Energy
* Amerprise Financial
* CH Robinson
* Hormel
* Mosaic
* Ecolab
* Thrivant Financial
* St. Jude Medical

Kansas:

*Koch Industries

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:36 pm

Don't forget Ohio's contribution to the civil war.

Ulysses S. Grant, William T. Sherman, and Philip H. Sheridan

I think that last post (before the nice listing of companies in Illinois) was sarcastic though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:37 pm

Dcc617 wrote: I mean has that part of the country ever done anything for the world? They're sort of useless. They're not even by a real coast.
Fuck you, buddy

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:41 pm

foregetaboutdre wrote:Don't forget Ohio's contribution to the civil war.
LOL @ mentioning Ohio in this thread. It's a populous state with like ten law schools, but the highest one is ranked in the 30s. Ohio is a laughingstock.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:45 pm

rpupkin wrote:
LOL @ mentioning Ohio in this thread. It's a populous state with like ten law schools, but the highest one is ranked in the 30s. Ohio is a laughingstock.
Michigan/native alum concurring here.

canafsa

Bronze

Post by canafsa » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:47 pm

Last edited by canafsa on Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:49 pm

pretty sure Dcc wasn't being serious

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:00 pm

rpupkin wrote:
I think you mean ranked THIRTY pal not in the thirties

How many combo president/supreme court justices did your shitstick state produce???

Go bucks

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:16 pm

Nebby wrote:
Dcc617 wrote: I mean has that part of the country ever done anything for the world? They're sort of useless. They're not even by a real coast.
Fuck you, buddy
I'm not your buddy, friend.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:30 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
I think you mean ranked THIRTY pal not in the thirties

How many combo president/supreme court justices did your shitstick state produce???
Yes, Ohio should be proud of "producing" a guy who was both the fattest president ever and the fattest CJ ever. Plus, that guy was a loser who only served one term—when up for reelection, he finished third.

LOL @ being an incumbent president in a two-party system and yet somehow finishing out of the top two. I guess when you hale from an unprestigious state like Ohio, shit like that happens.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

radio1nowhere

Bronze

Post by radio1nowhere » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:55 pm

This thread suddenly stopped being entertaining

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:39 pm

radio1nowhere wrote:This thread suddenly stopped being entertaining
It's my favorite TLS thread

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:50 pm

Pomeranian wrote:
Is this a joke? The American midwest basically feeds the world. It's called the breadbasket of the world for a reason.

On top of that, many of country's most important companies are based in the midwest. Just ones in the Chicago area:

* Boeing
* McDonald's
* Motorola
* Motorola Mobility
* United Continental Airlines
* Walgreens
* Kraft Foods
* Sara Lee
* Allstate Insurance
* Discover Financial
* Abbott Laboratories
* Sears
* Exelon
* Baxter
* Illinois Tool Works
* CDW
* Navistar
* Aon
* RR Donnelley
* Dover Corporation
* WW Grainger
* Tenneco
* OfficeMax
* Anixter
* Ingredion
* CF Industries
* TDS
* United Stationers

Illinois, not in the Chicago MSA:
* Archer Daniels Midland
* State Farm Insurance
* Caterpillar
* Deere (aka John Deere)
* Corn Products International

Minnesota:
* Target
* Best Buy
* Supervalu
* UnitedHealth Group
* 3M
* Medtronic
* General Mills
* US Bancorp
* CHS
* Land O Lakes
* Xcel Energy
* Amerprise Financial
* CH Robinson
* Hormel
* Mosaic
* Ecolab
* Thrivant Financial
* St. Jude Medical

Kansas:

*Koch Industries
I'm not going to lie. I'm a little salty that you left Iowa out of the discussion.

Fortune 500:
* Principal Financial Group (#236)
* Casey's General Stores (#374)

Sliced bread was invented in Iowa. Iowa State University created the first digital computer. The University of Iowa was the first public university to admit men and women on an equal basis. This was in 1855. Eighteen years later, in 1873, Iowa Law graduated the first female law student in the nation, who became the first woman to practice in front of US District and Circuit Courts. The University of Iowa's Writer's Workshop also has 17 Pulitzer Prize Alumni. Want to educate your kids before they are admitted to Iowa's affordable state universities (or elsewhere)? Well, good thing that Iowa, the 26th most populous state, is, depending on the year, a top 5 or top 10 state in high school graduation. Thought all fly over states were uneducated? You clearly haven't been to Iowa. Want your kid to come home in a school bus and not a body bag? Good thing Iowa is the 10th safest state. Want to eat? Well, good thing Iowa produced 1/14th of the nations food. In addition, Iowa contributed the most soldiers to the Union per capita in the United States Civil War. Iowa is also the birthplace of Norman Borlaug, the man said to have saved a billion lives from starvation by starting the green revolution. In Varnum v. Brien, the Iowa State Supreme Court ruled on a 7-0 decision that same-sex marriage was legal, making Iowa the THIRD state to legalize same-sex marriage despite being a purple state with a mixed Democrat/Republican appointed Supreme Court. Iowa has the longest serving Governor (Terry Branstad) and State Attorney General (Tom Miller) in US history. In addition, Iowa has produced a president (Herbert Hoover), Trump's Ambassador to China (Terry Branstad), and Obama's longest-serving cabinet member and Secretary of Agriculture (Tom Vilsack).

Need some random less prestigious shit to fill your Iowa appetite? Don't worry. I've got you. Iowa is home to I-80, the world's largest truck stop, which sits on 220 acres of land. Iowa also has the world's largest strawberry (unfortunately non-edible).

Iowa is fucking great. I feel bad for all you slumming it in the other 49.

JayCutlerYoloSwag

New

Post by JayCutlerYoloSwag » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:17 pm

Chicago losing Jay Cutler this off-season is what really hurt the midwest.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:58 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote: Iowa is fucking great. I feel bad for all you slumming it in the other 49.
This is some fascinating shit. Until I read this post, I thought that Iowa was a federal territory or something, like Guam. But I just did some further research: Iowa really is a State, with two U.S. Senators and four Representatives. It even contains an ABA-accredited law school. You really do learn something new everyday!

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:17 pm

JayCutlerYoloSwag wrote:Chicago losing Jay Cutler this off-season is what really hurt the midwest.
And they were just recovering from the fire.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:37 pm

rpupkin wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote: Iowa is fucking great. I feel bad for all you slumming it in the other 49.
This is some fascinating shit. Until I read this post, I thought that Iowa was a federal territory or something, like Guam. But I just did some further research: Iowa really is a State, with two U.S. Senators and four Representatives. It even contains an ABA-accredited law school. You really do learn something new everyday!
:lol:

mojomeltdown

New

Post by mojomeltdown » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:49 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
Iowa is fucking great. I feel bad for all you slumming it in the other 49.
Go Hawks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”