C & F Reporting Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
irlaxgirl

New

C & F Reporting

Post by irlaxgirl » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:13 pm

Three years ago, I was pulled over for a significant speeding ticket (school zone) and found (due to miscommunication that I fully take responsibility for) that my car was uninsured -- I did get the car insured that same day. Long story short, I paid 274$ for the first ticket and 274$ for the insurance plus six month deferred (so my license was not suspended) which was completed without incident. Since that time, and before it I have had not tickets or other violations.

Should I report these in the C & F section? I have the explanation, resolution, taking responsibility, proof of singularity of incident etc. written up already (one school wanted explanation for each parking ticket and all). I cannot find in Oklahoma (where it occurred) whether it is major or minor and if the time has an effect. I'm thinking of including it on all of my applications, because it does not hurt to be honest. Is this a good idea?

cavalier1138

Re: C & F Reporting

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:14 pm

If you're not sure whether it crosses the threshold that a specific school asks for, always err on the side of reporting. You can always mention that you aren't sure if Oklahoma classifies this as a major or minor offense, but this won't be a bar to admission anywhere.

irlaxgirl

New

Post by irlaxgirl » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:23 pm

Thank you! I thought that was probably best to do. I have ensured to take steps to make sure something that never happens again, and I felt including documentation that might not be necessary was better that not providing something I should.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:33 pm

irlaxgirl wrote:Should I report these in the C & F section?
I don't know what state you're in, but it's common that in paying a ticket you are effectively entering a guilty plea to the officer's charge. If you search the court website, your ticket likely appears.

If the bar asked you to report all criminal charges or convictions, you likely need to report. If your school asked you to declare all charges or convictions and this was happened before you matriculated and you didn't disclose, you may want to talk to the registrars office.

If you're considering not disclosing, I would strongly advise talking to a lawyer admitted in your state. Non-disclosure can be a significant issue for C&F.

irlaxgirl

New

Post by irlaxgirl » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:43 pm

I paid the speeding one, but the insurance I went to court and plead no contest, was given a fine and deferred. I can't find all of my documentation from the incident, but from I recall it was supposed to be removed if after six months i had no violations and proof of continuous insurance.

I was planning on reporting to all schools, just in case. Will this be a problem for acceptance?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:48 pm

irlaxgirl wrote:I paid the speeding one, but the insurance I went to court and plead no contest, was given a fine and deferred. I can't find all of my documentation from the incident, but from I recall it was supposed to be removed if after six months i had no violations and proof of continuous insurance.

I was planning on reporting to all schools, just in case. Will this be a problem for acceptance?
No. I had a worse incident (minor, but worse) and was fine.

I know people with multiple DWIs who were fine. Nobody cares about a traffic ticket. Just disclose to the best of your ability (you shouldn't need all documentation for applications) and move on.

irlaxgirl

New

Post by irlaxgirl » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:51 pm

bwaldorf wrote:
irlaxgirl wrote:I paid the speeding one, but the insurance I went to court and plead no contest, was given a fine and deferred. I can't find all of my documentation from the incident, but from I recall it was supposed to be removed if after six months i had no violations and proof of continuous insurance.

I know people with multiple DWIs who were fine. Nobody cares about a traffic ticket. Just disclose to the best of your ability (you shouldn't need all documentation for applications) and move on.
That is good to hear. It is something that has weighed heavily on me since I got it three years ago, as I have always planned on going to law school.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:55 pm

In my experience these are typically not a barrier to acceptance. Note that the bar may have access to purged or sealed convictions.

Non-disclosure is an issue that could prevent admission to a bar, including non-disclosure to your school. They can also check what was on your school application, so again check also with your school if this needed to be disclosed to the school too if you're in school and if you're still applying to schools make sure you disclose it if necessary on the application so it doesn't bite you in three years time.

irlaxgirl

New

Post by irlaxgirl » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:58 pm

albanach wrote:

In my experience these are typically not a barrier to acceptance. Note that the bar may have access to purged or sealed convictions.

Non-disclosure is an issue that could prevent admission to a bar, including non-disclosure to your school. They can also check what was on your school application, so again check also with your school if this needed to be disclosed to the school too if you're in school and if you're still applying to schools make sure you disclose it if necessary on the application so it doesn't bite you in three years time.
That is a good idea. I will definitely do that. I did submit three applications already, who did not ask about that. Should I email their admissions and correct it? It was not an intentional non-disclosure. And thank you very much for the help!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:09 pm

irlaxgirl wrote:
bwaldorf wrote:

That is good to hear. It is something that has weighed heavily on me since I got it three years ago, as I have always planned on going to law school.
Oh man. Girl, you need to relax. I had two underage drinking tickets in college and I was just fine. Breathe. A traffic ticket is NO big deal. Non-disclosure, on the other hand, is. So just disclose and you'll be just fine! I promise.

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:09 pm

albanach wrote:

Random question - do they look at all your applications, or just the one for the school you matriculated at?

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:16 pm

bwaldorf wrote: Random question - do they look at all your applications, or just the one for the school you matriculated at?
I honestly don't know, but would think that unlikely. Just make sure whichever school you attend(ed) knows/knew.

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:20 pm

albanach wrote:
bwaldorf wrote: Random question - do they look at all your applications, or just the one for the school you matriculated at?
I honestly don't know, but would think that unlikely. Just make sure whichever school you attend(ed) knows/knew.
I got a speeding ticket but I've withdrawn my applications from everywhere at this point except the school where I'll be matriculating, so I only informed them and no other schools (FWIW, they didn't care at all).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”