Two different GPA's from two different undergrads Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
RedBadger2112

New

Two different GPA's from two different undergrads

Post by RedBadger2112 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:37 pm

Hello,

I am a current junior at the University of Wisconsin and I have a 2.787 here with 47 credits. I transferred from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee with a 3.8 with 31 credits. I have calculated the LSDAS gpa and it is currently like a 3.18. I am expecting to have my UW Madison gpa up to the 2.95-3.06 range by the end of this semester. I have also been studying quite hard for the LSAT and intend to score in the 172-175 range. Does anyone have input on how my two GPA's will look?

Thanks,

floatie

Silver

Re: Two different GPA's from two different undergrads

Post by floatie » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:11 pm

That sharp downward trend won't do you any favors - is there anything that influenced it that can be explained in an addendum? Also, your GPA might be offset ever so slightly depending on your major (STEM majors, basically).

If you're actually able to score in the 172-175 range (top 1%...), schools will be more willing to overlook your GPA in favor of a score that high.

snowball2

Bronze

Post by snowball2 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:43 pm

They aren't "two different undergrads," you have not yet obtained an undergrad degree,so you're going to get a blended GPA based on attendance at two different schools while in the process of earning your degree. Clearly the GPA will be defined by your current performance (just as it would have been if you transferred to a new school and got a 4.0 for your work there. As for "intending" to score in the mid-170's, I assume that's a goal common to all who take the LSAT, however (as floatie has already pointed out) it's not a goal that many attain. Be prepared to retake.

RedBadger2112

New

Post by RedBadger2112 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:47 pm

I don't expect to have to retake because if I'm not practicing in the 170's then I'm not going to take the test until I am. Also, I'm an economics major. The reason my GPA dropped off so much is because I expected UW Madison to be of the same difficulty to UW MIlwaukee (which is wasn't). I misjudged the amount of studying that I needed to do and it bit me. I also have been increasing my gpa though, not that I have gotten used o it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”