How to explain the discrepancy between individual program and overall rankings? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
UVA2B

Gold

Re: How to explain the discrepancy between individual program and overall rankings?

Post by UVA2B » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:43 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Because (especially if TLS is any indication) laywers like to rank things.

Also to sell USNWR.
USNWR sells, at best mediocre law schools dupe unwitting 0Ls out of thousands of dollars for their specialty in environmental law and a mistaken belief that specialty rankings matter for precious 0L unicorn dreams, everybody not named unwitting 0L wins.

Rigo

Diamond

Re: How to explain the discrepancy between individual program and overall rankings?

Post by Rigo » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:34 pm

If I go to #4 Berkeley for environmental law, will employers question why I didnt go to #1 Vermont or think I got rejected at #3 Pace?

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:42 pm

Rigo wrote:If I go to #4 Berkeley for environmental law, will employers question why I didnt go to #1 Vermont or think I got rejected at #3 Pace?
That depends, are you focused on PI maple syrup law or do you plan to focus your practice in redwood conservation? Cause I've heard subspecialties in law schools are what really matter.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:39 am

(law school rankings by sub-specialty available with USNWR Premium subscription)

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:42 am

mjb447 wrote:(law school rankings by sub-specialty available with USNWR Premium subscription)
$9.95 subscription confirmed

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tuesdayninja

Bronze

Post by tuesdayninja » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:24 pm

guybourdin wrote:fwiw:

Marshall Gerstein appears to pay substantially below market. 4/7 JM grads have phds and of the 3 who do not the youngest graduated from law school in 1997.

At Brinks Gilson, of the 10 JM grads, only 3 were hired in the last 8 years, and 2 of those 3 have phds (and one of them speaks Mandarin). Of the Kent grads, the most recent graduated in 2007 and has substantial professional work experience.
This. If OP likes looking at rando firms/attorneys, they need to limit their scope to recent associates. Advanced degrees and professional experience in IP help offset the fact that that one went to JM/Kent.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”