Stop Telling People to Retake Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Stop Telling People to Retake

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:59 am

Yeah, to be clear, I'm not saying LSAT is a perfect measure of anything; nor is GPA; they're both limited. I'm more saying, get over the fact that law school admissions are structured in a way that disadvantages you, and deal with it. Railing against the system is pointless.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:15 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Yeah, to be clear, I'm not saying LSAT is a perfect measure of anything; nor is GPA; they're both limited. I'm more saying, get over the fact that law school admissions are structured in a way that disadvantages you, and deal with it. Railing against the system is pointless.
Absolutely, and at least you can theoretically always improve your LSAT on a future retake if you're willing to delay longer. I'd honestly better understand railing against GPA or some other totally immutable factor.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:42 pm

chicagoburger wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:People should read the actual words, not the tone.

And schools should read beyond numbers as they claim to.

After talking to people at the ASD/Tours and judging from my cycle, the following schools def went beyond numbers:

Iowa, OSU, Indiana, Washington & Lee

However, the following schools worship LSAT and care nothing else:
UIUC, WUSTL, Loyola Chicago, Hastings
In other words... here are schools that admitted me, and here are schools that didn't. The schools that didn't are all meanie-heads, and I'm going to rail against the injustice of the world that someone as robustly qualified as I should have to put a modicum of effort into getting what I want.

Sound about right?

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:31 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
chicagoburger wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:People should read the actual words, not the tone.

And schools should read beyond numbers as they claim to.

After talking to people at the ASD/Tours and judging from my cycle, the following schools def went beyond numbers:

Iowa, OSU, Indiana, Washington & Lee

However, the following schools worship LSAT and care nothing else:
UIUC, WUSTL, Loyola Chicago, Hastings
In other words... here are schools that admitted me, and here are schools that didn't. The schools that didn't are all meanie-heads, and I'm going to rail against the injustice of the world that someone as robustly qualified as I should have to put a modicum of effort into getting what I want.

Sound about right?
I actually do have to agree here, that did come off a bit personal Chicago, I don't like the LSAT but at the end of the day schools are always going to try to get a class with the best GPA's and LSAT's(even the worst standardized test is better than GPA if everyone takes it and could be compared with it, even if the comparison doesn't mean **** and the LSAT while bad has some things in it that might correlate with law success) I mean what did you expect? On my own "choosing a law school thread" Rigo brought up a good point, the schools that are more understanding of you beyond your initial two numbers are schools that need to fill a larger class, if a school's only got so many seats, not many people are slipping in under that 25th percentile. Railing against the injustices of the world is fine as a matter of fact I encourage it(nothing irritates me then people willing to tolerate an unjust reality, because "that's just the way it is") but you've got to be somewhat realistic, of course law schools will care about the de facto entry exam the most. This is also on a case by case basis and is super subjective, I had the numbers to get into W+L on the margins and I didn't, does that mean that "W+L worships LSAT and doesn't care about nothing else"? While I'm upset, that would sound ridiculous, there's people at the schools you got into you could say the same thing likewise there's people at the schools who "worship LSAT and are nothing else" who were reverse splitters and would disagree. They had to (have to) fill a class and are looking for certain things.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:12 am

A poster once PMed me to thank me. He said he was set to go to his local state school, posted a choosing thread on TLS, and I convinced him to retake even though he didn't want to. He retook, got into and attended Yale, and met his future wife. Not flame.

/thread

Mods plz

#hookem

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:36 am

and i didnt retake, went to my TTT and met my future wife there too. not flame.

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:11 am

retaking changed my life

but idk if I would have gone to law school at a not-prestigious school, so maybe it ruined my life

WE'LL SEE
Last edited by anyriotgirl on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:47 am

JohannDeMann wrote:and i didnt retake, went to my TTT and met my future wife there too. not flame.
We should stop givimg JDM a hard time, he is simply a practitioner of existentialism as humanism. He rejects deterministic excuses for his objectively poor choice not to re-take, and surges up, choosing define himself based on how his life turned out.

Only the individual can define his or her essence, and Johann has defined his decision not to re-take as fucking awesome. This gives him unlimited leeway to give appalling advice on the subject right here on TLS.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:15 am

retake, don't retake. doesn't really make a difference to the mob.

what the mob takes issue with is someone irrationally railing against the retake advice and making a "principled stand" against the notion of retake.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:01 am

I didn't retake, went to T30 school, was already married.

Not flame.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:41 am

Moneytrees wrote:
JohannDeMann wrote:and i didnt retake, went to my TTT and met my future wife there too. not flame.
We should stop givimg JDM a hard time, he is simply a practitioner of existentialism as humanism. He rejects deterministic excuses for his objectively poor choice not to re-take, and surges up, choosing define himself based on how his life turned out.

Only the individual can define his or her essence, and Johann has defined his decision not to re-take as fucking awesome. This gives him unlimited leeway to give appalling advice on the subject right here on TLS.
I've admitted that I should have retaken and would retake today. Doesn't change the fact that you can meet your wife anywhere and it has nothing to do with the retake decision.

My disagreement with TLS comes once someone has used their 3 takes and chooses to go to the best school at that point that maximizes their achieving their goals.

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:20 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:
Moneytrees wrote:

I've admitted that I should have retaken and would retake today. Doesn't change the fact that you can meet your wife anywhere and it has nothing to do with the retake decision.

My disagreement with TLS comes once someone has used their 3 takes and chooses to go to the best school at that point that maximizes their achieving their goals.
So you would agree that re-taking is the right choice for the vast majority of people?

I don't think TLS should necessarily be telling people not to go to law school. As long as you keep your debt down, even a regional law school can be a fine choice. But to keep your debt down, you probably need a good LSAT score.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:24 pm

uion1715 wrote:Again, I would rather retake the LSAT rather than getting in a $$$ of debt and having to only eat one meal a day and live without heating. But that's just me.
Let's not go around making stuff up. Nobody has to do that due to student debt.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

uion1715

New

Post by uion1715 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:38 pm

star fox wrote:
uion1715 wrote:Again, I would rather retake the LSAT rather than getting in a $$$ of debt and having to only eat one meal a day and live without heating. But that's just me.
Was just poking fun at Ferris for this post: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5#p9788176

I mean no harm.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:41 pm

uion1715 wrote:
star fox wrote:
Was just poking fun at Ferris for this post: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5#p9788176

I mean no harm.
Ah, gotcha

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:53 pm

uion1715 wrote:
star fox wrote:

I mean no harm.
Neither of those things are sacrifices to me really, to each their own!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:04 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
uion1715 wrote:
star fox wrote:

I mean no harm.
You eat once a day? Let me guess, you also skip leg day.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:05 pm

zot1 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
uion1715 wrote:
star fox wrote:

I mean no harm.

Leg day?

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:18 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
zot1 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
uion1715 wrote:
star fox wrote:

I mean no harm.

Leg day?
Unacceptable. Retake.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:23 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
zot1 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
uion1715 wrote:
star fox wrote:

I mean no harm.

Leg day?
It's what people in the know call Thanksgiving (because lots of people prefer the dark meat of the turkey legs). If you don't like eating, you probably don't like Thanksgiving.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:23 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
zot1 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
uion1715 wrote:
star fox wrote:

I mean no harm.

Leg day?
This should result in an instant ban from the forums.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:24 pm

zot1 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
zot1 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
uion1715 wrote:
star fox wrote:

I mean no harm.

Leg day?
Unacceptable. Retake.
No i didnt skip thanksgiving.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:34 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
zot1 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
Leg day?
Unacceptable. Retake.
No i didnt skip thanksgiving.
Aw dude, I was just funnin' ya. Leg day is the day when people who lift/strength train work on their legs. Skipping leg day is a rookie but grave error.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:00 pm

I didn't have to retake cause I'm not a water brain. I can't even really read and I got -2 on RC. What kind of mongloid can't get 170 on the first try.

Don't retake, quit.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:03 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I didn't have to retake cause I'm not a water brain. I can't even really read and I got -2 on RC. What kind of mongloid can't get 170 on the first try.

Don't retake, quit.
I don't know man. Some people just can't do standardized tests. I'm one of them

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”