Multiple Final Deposits Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DwarfPig

New

Multiple Final Deposits

Post by DwarfPig » Mon May 23, 2016 11:47 am

So I made 3 first seat deposits and have not had a problem with any of the schools because of it. The final deposit deadline is coming up in a week and I was curious if I were to make multiple final deposits again would I run into any issues? I realize it's surrendering money, but that won't be an issue. So, if I truly want some more time to mull over my choices, am I able to extend the process by making multiple final deposits?

guynourmin

Gold

Re: Multiple Final Deposits

Post by guynourmin » Mon May 23, 2016 2:44 pm

why not post a thread in choosing schools? Hive might be able to help you think everything over and make the best choice + save a grand in the process.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Mon May 23, 2016 2:48 pm

DwarfPig wrote:So I made 3 first seat deposits and have not had a problem with any of the schools because of it. The final deposit deadline is coming up in a week and I was curious if I were to make multiple final deposits again would I run into any issues? I realize it's surrendering money, but that won't be an issue. So, if I truly want some more time to mull over my choices, am I able to extend the process by making multiple final deposits?
Most schools explicitly prohibit this. If they catch you, and they will when all the schools get the list of who has deposited where, they can revoke your admission and scholarship. I wouldn't do this without the explicit permission of the schools you intend to double or triple deposit with.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

benwyatt

Platinum

Post by benwyatt » Mon May 23, 2016 2:49 pm

why can't you just make a decision

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Mon May 23, 2016 2:51 pm

It is my understanding that some point in late-May/early-June, the schools share a list of who has deposited with each other to prevent this very thing from happening. I would not do this if I were you.

It's also pretty unfair to other people in the cycle.

Why not make a thread asking for help mulling over your choices?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon May 23, 2016 2:54 pm

Usually this is prohibited by law schools unless you were accepted off of a waitlist. Are you willing to name the schools ? Seems odd that one would have difficulty deciding among 3 law schools unless they are something like USC with money, UCLA with money & Berkeley with no grant money.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Mon May 23, 2016 2:54 pm

benwyatt wrote:why can't you just make a decision
I'm clearly speculating here, but I'm guessing OP is shooting for more scholly money. I actually did an extra final deposit (with the school's knowledge) for this reason. You can't use a competing offer for leverage if it expires. By waiting past the final deposit deadline, the school had a better idea of how much money they had left to work with after most students had made a final deposit or withdrawn.

All that being said, doing it without the school's explicit permission is probably a terrible idea.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stevie_Rave_On

New

Post by Stevie_Rave_On » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:39 pm

DwarfPig wrote:So I made 3 first seat deposits and have not had a problem with any of the schools because of it. The final deposit deadline is coming up in a week and I was curious if I were to make multiple final deposits again would I run into any issues? I realize it's surrendering money, but that won't be an issue. So, if I truly want some more time to mull over my choices, am I able to extend the process by making multiple final deposits?
So how'd this work out for you? Are you currently reading this from an undisclosed location, admissions deans hunting you doggedly through a Lousiana bayou?

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:05 am

iirc making multiple first deposits is okay. schools dislike it, but won't harm you. i believe, again i'm only vaguely remembering, that you can't really make second deposits at multiple schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:38 am

KMart wrote:
iirc making multiple first deposits is okay. schools dislike it, but won't harm you. i believe, again i'm only vaguely remembering, that you can't really make second deposits at multiple schools.
It really depends on the school.

OP: I hope you read all of the deposit forms carefully. Some schools have you agree to withdraw all acceptances and pending applications in order to deposit (which still allows you to remain on waitlists). Final deposits absolutely require that, so you need to make a decision.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:02 am

Sweet necro folks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”