Which law school to pick Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
aliyblue

New

Re: Which law school to pick

Post by aliyblue » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:24 pm

Just defending the Tribe, my friend.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:33 pm

aliyblue wrote:Just defending the Tribe, my friend.
Maybe W&M should get better job stats (by decreasing their class sizes or just doing better), instead of having to be defended by random alumni.

aliyblue

New

Post by aliyblue » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:25 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Maybe W&M should get better job stats (by decreasing their class sizes or just doing better), instead of having to be defended by random alumni.
I'd love to see that happen, and I'm not disagreeing with you. My point in responding to OP was to merely to point out that the school offers far better chances at biglaw than he/she implied.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:33 pm

aliyblue wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
I'd love to see that happen, and I'm not disagreeing with you. My point in responding to OP was to merely to point out that the school offers far better chances at biglaw than he/she implied.
OP is long gone.

malibustacy

Bronze

Post by malibustacy » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:42 am

aliyblue wrote:William & Mary 2016 grad here. I'm at a V20 firm in DC, and can count about 20 people my year who also went DC biglaw. There are probably another 35-40 or so folks in my class who are at AmLaw 200 firms in other cities. These are facts. That's definitely not as much as Georgetown or UVA, but you definitely don't need to be "#1 in the class" to get biglaw from W&M.
The 35-40 or so folks in your class who are at AmLaw 200 firms ARE pretty much the only people in your class that have decent jobs.
https://www.lstreports.com/schools/wm/jobs/

Thank you for necroing a dead thread to correct an obvious hyperbole. I hope OP did not end up going to law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:51 am

OP, fellow international here. I think the question comes down to whether you have a green card? What are your options when you graduate? Do you have a job lined up? Do you want to return to China/HK?

If you are similar to me, that is, I don't have a green card and I don't have a job lined up, and I don't want to return to HK/China right away. I would not attend a school that does not pay me to go outside the T14, and even then, I would think about whether it is a waste of time given your career options afterwards. As a Chinese citizen, you can only get H1b sponsorship if you are working in BigLaw. Therefore, you need to go to a school where it gives you a realistic shot at BigLaw. By realistic, I mean more than 70% - so if you do average or even a little below average in that class, you will be able to work in the U.S. From this line of thought, you need to at least go to Cornell/Duke/Northwestern, or the lower T13 schools.

If you have a green card, and you do not mind not getting BigLaw after graduation, then please ignore what I have said. If you will be happy paying off 150,000 debt in a job that pays 45000 - 90000 annually, go for it.

Lastly, if you want to work in China, you will have to pass the Chinese bar, and the starting salary at the most elite firms are not that high. You will be looking at 10,000-20,000 yuan per month. And the mid career salary for a normal lawyer would be slight more than half a million yuan, that is if you stay at the elite law firms. So this kind of salary really do not justify your investments.

Finally, it also depends on your family's financial situation. If your family is loaded, and you are only in the states for the experience, then go for it. But for that route, I recommend MPA/MPP or CIPA degrees at Ivy League schools.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:42 am

Just regarding H1B - I don't know if you know this but certain educational and other not for profits can get Visas outside of the cap limit. I just helped a group get one. The question is finding a job and a group willing to do it.

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:54 am

Npret wrote:Just regarding H1B - I don't know if you know this but certain educational and other not for profits can get Visas outside of the cap limit. I just helped a group get one. The question is finding a job and a group willing to do it.
Yes, I am aware that certain non-profits are able to sponsor H1Bs. I have seen friends get it. But the problem comes back to whether that job will utilize the OP's JD, or do you even need a JD to get one of those jobs. From my understanding, you do not need one - an MPP/MPA might be even more suitable, and costs less. Or are you saying that the OP should find a group willing to sponsor the H1b, and another job that has no relation to the group? Is that even legal?

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:28 am

melmelcoolj wrote:
Npret wrote:Just regarding H1B - I don't know if you know this but certain educational and other not for profits can get Visas outside of the cap limit. I just helped a group get one. The question is finding a job and a group willing to do it.
Yes, I am aware that certain non-profits are able to sponsor H1Bs. I have seen friends get it. But the problem comes back to whether that job will utilize the OP's JD, or do you even need a JD to get one of those jobs. From my understanding, you do not need one - an MPP/MPA might be even more suitable, and costs less. Or are you saying that the OP should find a group willing to sponsor the H1b, and another job that has no relation to the group? Is that even legal?
Rigo wrote:OP is long gone.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:25 am

mjb447 wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:
Rigo wrote:OP is long gone.
Yep I realized this right after I clicked on "Submit." Who dug up this thread and whyyyyy?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”