PSA to all of you aspiring applicants: Pay your taxes. All of them. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Danger Zone

Platinum

Re: PSA to all of you aspiring applicants: Pay your taxes. All of them.

Post by Danger Zone » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:56 pm

Why does it not surprise me that merlin had to make this thread
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

njkga

Bronze

Post by njkga » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:37 pm

fliptrip wrote:
Iam3hunna wrote:
fliptrip wrote:^^^This makes me think of one major disadvantage of applying to law school as an older person. You've got a lot more life to account for and even normal folks have things that happen that are difficult to recall/explain 10 years later.

Ugh...I feel for you.
K-JD FTW?
Fuck. Yes. I think every single damn day that I should have just gone to law school when I graduated college. Hard as it is to believe, I had a girlfriend in college who was pre-med. She was ADAMANT about going straight through and would tell me every day to just go to law school. Well, she's an orthopedist now and I am on TLS. Lesson as always, listen to the women in your life.

I guess I was in too much of a hurry to go be a thousandaire. Every day I commune in our wonderful TLS environs I think, hm, flipper, you're older than the most veteran of veteran posters...something went wrong. I am absolutely terrified about being the old fuck in the law school class in the fall, though at least I'm not a yelling and clouds, get off my lawn old.
I'm 37 and starting in the fall. I finished my bachelors at 33 and a masters at 34, so being the old man in class is nothing new to me. It's not a big deal. I don't know how old you are - probably younger than me, if I had to guess. (I'm guessing that based on the fact that you say you're worried about it - if you were closer to my age I figure you wouldn't be worried about it.) You almost certainly won't be the oldest in your class. I very well might be. Don't worry about it.

And even if you are the oldest one.... so what? Nothing bad happens.

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:45 pm

njkga wrote:
fliptrip wrote:
Iam3hunna wrote:
fliptrip wrote:^^^This makes me think of one major disadvantage of applying to law school as an older person. You've got a lot more life to account for and even normal folks have things that happen that are difficult to recall/explain 10 years later.

Ugh...I feel for you.
K-JD FTW?
Fuck. Yes. I think every single damn day that I should have just gone to law school when I graduated college. Hard as it is to believe, I had a girlfriend in college who was pre-med. She was ADAMANT about going straight through and would tell me every day to just go to law school. Well, she's an orthopedist now and I am on TLS. Lesson as always, listen to the women in your life.

I guess I was in too much of a hurry to go be a thousandaire. Every day I commune in our wonderful TLS environs I think, hm, flipper, you're older than the most veteran of veteran posters...something went wrong. I am absolutely terrified about being the old fuck in the law school class in the fall, though at least I'm not a yelling and clouds, get off my lawn old.
I'm 37 and starting in the fall. I finished my bachelors at 33 and a masters at 34, so being the old man in class is nothing new to me. It's not a big deal. I don't know how old you are - probably younger than me, if I had to guess. (I'm guessing that based on the fact that you say you're worried about it - if you were closer to my age I figure you wouldn't be worried about it.) You almost certainly won't be the oldest in your class. I very well might be. Don't worry about it.

LOL bad police work there Lou...I'm your age. But, I'll try to (1) not be weird and (2) not worry.

njkga

Bronze

Post by njkga » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:50 pm

fliptrip wrote:
njkga wrote:
fliptrip wrote:
Iam3hunna wrote:

Ugh...I feel for you.
K-JD FTW?

LOL bad police work there Lou...I'm your age. But, I'll try to (1) not be weird and (2) not worry.
Ah well, it was still a good guess - just happen to be wrong this time. :)

darthrevan92

New

Post by darthrevan92 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:47 pm

MKC wrote:This is not a joke post. I am currently in the process of filling out a bar application, and this is a complete pain in the ass. The character and fitness portion of the application requires disclosure of every year and jurisdiction where you did not file or timely pay taxes. This includes state and federal income taxes, as well as personal property taxes. When I was younger and dumber and poorer, I did not file taxes for several years, and tracking down this documentation is an utter shitshow.

If you owe taxes, or haven't filed, or didn't pay on time, straighten it out now, and keep all of the paperwork. If you screwed up in the past at some point, start tracking it down, because the bar is going to want to see records.

Also, protip, some states let you request a C&F determination during your first year of law school. It's cheaper, and you can get that shit out of the way early, especially if you're either older or have possible issues from your past. Good luck boys and girls.

Did you end up passing the character and fitness despite these issues?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

elransfo

New

Post by elransfo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:03 am

What state is this in? How intensely do they review taxes? Is it advisable to have an accountant look over your taxes from past years before starting law school?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”