Ann Levine vs Anna Ivey Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lavarman84

Platinum

Re: Ann Levine vs Anna Ivey

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:17 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:Bob, you really gonna make your stand on the grounds that buying your way into a school is just as much unfair as buying preptest material?
To be fair, the advantage gained from having prep materials for the LSAT over a person that can't afford them is likely greater than the advantage that a consultant can give you. That all said, I don't agree with Bob's argument. Still, if someone wants to get a consultant, let them. Who cares?

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:17 pm

lawman84 wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:Bob, you really gonna make your stand on the grounds that buying your way into a school is just as much unfair as buying preptest material?
To be fair, the advantage gained from having prep materials for the LSAT over a person that can't afford them is likely greater than the advantage that a consultant can give you. That all said, I don't agree with Bob's argument. Still, if someone wants to get a consultant, let them. Who cares?
i agree with all of this.

i just wanted to make fun of bob.

Skool

Silver

Post by Skool » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:40 pm

lawman84 wrote:Who cares?
I guess I care because I feel some allegiance to applicants and don't want them to be fleeced.The coolest thing about TLS is that it makes it harder to fleece kids. I like adding my experience to the conversation if it makes applicants better informed.

(I know that was rhetorical).

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:50 pm

Skool wrote:
lawman84 wrote:Who cares?
I guess I care because I feel some allegiance to applicants and don't want them to be fleeced.The coolest thing about TLS is that it makes it harder to fleece kids. I like adding my experience to the conversation if it makes applicants better informed.

(I know that was rhetorical).
You're taking that a bit out of context. I'm not saying that in relation to giving them advice on whether or not to do it. I'm saying that in relation to judging them after they did it.

Skool

Silver

Post by Skool » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:54 pm

I mean, the preceding sentence was: "Still, if someone wants to get a consultant, let them. Who cares?" (Emphasis added).

The let them/who cares seems to happen on the front end and the wants is present tense rather than retrospective/on the back end. But whatever.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:03 pm

Skool wrote:I mean, the preceding sentence was: "Still, if someone wants to get a consultant, let them. Who cares?" (Emphasis added).

The let them/who cares seems to happen on the front end and the wants is present tense rather than retrospective/on the back end. But whatever.
No real need to argue over semantics here. I already clarified what I meant by the statement.

I could have done a better job of making it more clear at the outset but this is a forum so I don't typically proofread what I'm writing. Regardless, the point being made is if somebody wants to work with a consultant (not somebody seeking advice as to whether or not it's worth it), why judge them for it?

Skool

Silver

Post by Skool » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:16 pm

I guess by publicly judging you have an open conversation about the merits of the decision so that the pros and cons are laid bare for others who are still deciding what they are going to do. Similar to how people around here give EDers shit before during and after the decision. (See, e.g., warheit before during and after Chicago fin aid came out).

Eta: I don't concede that I've been publicly retrospectively judg-y, although my tone has admittedly been shitty and in my head I'm judging hard as shit.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:32 pm

Skool wrote:I guess by publicly judging you have an open conversation about the merits of the decision so that the pros and cons are laid bare for others who are still deciding what they are going to do. Similar to how people around here give EDers shit before during and after the decision. (See, e.g., warheit before during and after Chicago fin aid came out).

Eta: I don't concede that I've been publicly retrospectively judg-y, although my tone has admittedly been shitty and in my head I'm judging hard as shit.
No, I totally agree that I think it's a waste of $5000. But hey, if they want to do it, I'm not going to consider it "buying their way into law school" or be bitter about it.(not saying you did...that's just what I mean by my earlier statements)

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:14 pm

My $.02:

If you're rich enough, there's literally no downside. If you're willing to do legwork, there's not much upside. Overall I do think it's a Bear Patrol situation, tho perhaps if you're a truly unique candidate it might make sense.

Also, myspiritanimal is just the worst.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Wildcard

New

Post by Wildcard » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:33 pm

cron1834 wrote:My $.02:

If you're rich enough, there's literally no downside.
You don't think that maybe a consultant could actually talk a candidate out of a more compelling and authentic application presentation into one more flat and traditional?

mgschiet

New

Post by mgschiet » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:02 pm

Wildcard wrote:

You don't think that maybe a consultant could actually talk a candidate out of a more compelling and authentic application presentation into one more flat and traditional?
Most of the consultants I've seen have been adcoms at highly regarded schools. They know what comes across as compelling and what doesn't.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:26 pm

Wildcard wrote:

I suspect what a lot of applicants think is "compelling and authentic" is really just nope nope nope nope nope.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:17 pm

Wildcard wrote:

No.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:51 pm

Wildcard wrote:

Lol no

Wildcard

New

Post by Wildcard » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:48 pm

Well then. :lol:

That's really kind of depressing, though.

TheatreofDreams1

New

Post by TheatreofDreams1 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:19 am

I can't speak to a comparison of both services as I only used Anna Ivey, but can safely say their service helped me get into a T-13. I was below median on the LSAT, a 3rd time test taker, had a median GPA, and no unusual softs.

PM me if you want more details, but I would recommend Ivey Consulting. A few thousand dollars could mean a lot, when it comes to scholarships and getting into a better school.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:41 pm

TheatreofDreams1 wrote:I can't speak to a comparison of both services as I only used Anna Ivey, but can safely say their service helped me get into a T-13. I was below median on the LSAT, a 3rd time test taker, had a median GPA, and no unusual softs.

PM me if you want more details, but I would recommend Ivey Consulting. A few thousand dollars could mean a lot, when it comes to scholarships and getting into a better school.
Okay but how far below the median were you on the LSAT?(and keep in mind that their median might have dropped a point or two with the new class) If you were right around the median on both LSAT and GPA, you're not talking about a long shot to get in. Not to say that you made the wrong decision. They might have given you the extra boost needed but you might also be a rareish case.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheatreofDreams1

New

Post by TheatreofDreams1 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:55 pm

lawman84 wrote:
TheatreofDreams1 wrote:I can't speak to a comparison of both services as I only used Anna Ivey, but can safely say their service helped me get into a T-13. I was below median on the LSAT, a 3rd time test taker, had a median GPA, and no unusual softs.

Okay but how far below the median were you on the LSAT?(and keep in mind that their median might have dropped a point or two with the new class) If you were right around the median on both LSAT and GPA, you're not talking about a long shot to get in. Not to say that you made the wrong decision. They might have given you the extra boost needed but you might also be a rareish case.
Fair enough. I was not too far off the median for LSAT. Maybe a 1-2 points. GPA was right on. But I was a third time test taker FWIW.

I think their services definitely helped, and in retrospect I am happy that I spent the money. But had I not gotten in, I might have a slightly different view of this.

But IMO, the essay help was only $999, and I don't think that's too much of an investment to make, given that law school scholarships/rankings could mean a large difference down the road.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:55 pm

TheatreofDreams1 wrote:
lawman84 wrote:

Fair enough. I was not too far off the median for LSAT. Maybe a 1-2 points. GPA was right on. But I was a third time test taker FWIW.

I think their services definitely helped, and in retrospect I am happy that I spent the money. But had I not gotten in, I might have a slightly different view of this.

But IMO, the essay help was only $999, and I don't think that's too much of an investment to make, given that law school scholarships/rankings could mean a large difference down the road.
You seem excited about where you got in so I'd agree it was worth the money. Congrats!

jlyrix

New

Post by jlyrix » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:50 am

myspiritanimal wrote:
blsingindisguise wrote:
myspiritanimal wrote:I worked with Ann this past cycle, and I’m so happy I did. She’s absolutely fantastic. And she helped me to create an application that provided me the perfect outcome.

The decision to hire a consultant, such as Ann, is a very personal one. You must conduct a cost-benefit analysis. Consider the following:

The value of a consultant depends on the type of applicant. The better the numbers, the lesser the value. But I really believe that mostly anyone, regardless of numbers, can gain from hiring a consultant. I say this because, while numbers matter, other factors, do as well, particularly at YS. These other factors are often better determinants of future star power in law or business than numbers alone. And because consultants help you craft those other factors, they may likely, in the end, positively impact your chances of admission.

The TLS obsession with numbers is, in some cases, a dangerous game. If I paid attention to much of the advice here, I wouldn’t have hired Ann and, I can say with much certainty, wouldn’t have gotten into the schools I did. It really, really mattered for me. Ann provided valuable insight into the often opaque admissions process and helped me craft a cohesive and compelling application. She made a real difference.

The admissions process is stressful. The ability to call Ann at any time to discuss any issue not only helped me understand and react to different events, but also really put my mind at ease. That alone perhaps made the decision to hire her worth it.

In the end, each candidate must individually compare the value and cost of hiring a consultant. I’m jazzed I hire Ann. Feel free to PM me for more details.
Nonsense. Assuming you're "real" (low post #s, just like the booster below you), you actually have no basis whatsoever to conclude that she made any difference in your admission to any particular school. The only way I'd believe you is if you could show a consistent pattern of "outperforming your numbers" in admissions to a variety of schools.
Don't call something nonsense unless you know it to be nonsense. In this case, you don't.

I have low post numbers because I spend my time doing others things and, at times, take a look at this site. I previously applied and did relatively poorly. When I applied with Ann, nothing had changed from the prior year's application, and I did really well, across T6. Still nonsense?

Where did you end up going?! And what schools did you apply to?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”