University of Texas Early Decision Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Username123

Silver

University of Texas Early Decision

Post by Username123 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:46 pm

Hey everyone,

Does the UT ED option (binding) give any boost to in-state applicants? I understand that with ED comes paying sticker, along with a $10,000 housing stipend per year. Just wondering about the potential boost.

Thanks!!!

Pneumonia

Gold

Re: University of Texas Early Decision

Post by Pneumonia » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:57 pm

Yes, it is a huge boost. And it doesn't necessarily mean paying sticker. Since your in state, "sticker" in your case would be 20k, which is a 60% discount, so not really sticker. If you have super good stats applying ED is supposedly a pre-req for the full tuition named scholarships. If you have less than median stats, and really want UT, than ED is a no brainer.

Username123

Silver

Post by Username123 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:21 am

Pneumonia wrote:Yes, it is a huge boost. And it doesn't necessarily mean paying sticker. Since your in state, "sticker" in your case would be 20k, which is a 60% discount, so not really sticker. If you have super good stats applying ED is supposedly a pre-req for the full tuition named scholarships. If you have less than median stats, and really want UT, than ED is a no brainer.
Thank you for your answer! I'm thinking I might ED, as it'll give me more of a shot for admission and it comes with that $10K stipend each year. Crossing fingers!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:18 am

Pneumonia wrote:If you have super good stats applying ED is supposedly a pre-req for the full tuition named scholarships.
Wait, what? Really? That's insane.

Also, they let in folks below median and give them 10k?

I know of splitters who have received well more than 10K, I don't think ED UT makes a whole lot of sense when you can just retake AND keep your options open.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:46 am

Yeah it is insane. I applied last cycle with good stats, and was told as much during scholarship negotiations. Maybe they meant it would've helped ME to ED if I wanted the Townes-Rice, but it came across like they preferences ED applicants generally fr the named schollys.

Not below both medians, but for true splitter who are in state it makes sense. There was a 2.8/170 candidate last year that got in ED.

You're right that it is hard to give advice without knowing OP's numbers, but if for an instate true splitter, UT ED can make a lot of sense I think.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PhilippeStandingOnIt

New

Post by PhilippeStandingOnIt » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:00 pm

Last edited by PhilippeStandingOnIt on Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vursz

Bronze

Post by Vursz » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:04 pm

Another data point - strong numbers, applied RD, offered Townes-Rice. ED not an absolute prerequisite clearly.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:19 pm

Pneumonia wrote:Yeah it is insane. I applied last cycle with good stats, and was told as much during scholarship negotiations. Maybe they meant it would've helped ME to ED if I wanted the Townes-Rice, but it came across like they preferences ED applicants generally fr the named schollys.

Not below both medians, but for true splitter who are in state it makes sense. There was a 2.8/170 candidate last year that got in ED.

You're right that it is hard to give advice without knowing OP's numbers, but if for an instate true splitter, UT ED can make a lot of sense I think.
Yeah if it's a true splitter it might make sense. Ive been seeing 3.4/166 types openly contemplating it. Those are you just people who need to retake.

Problem I see with EDing is you're still staring down the barrel of 130K+ debt. I don't know how anyone pays that off without big law. And big law is tough to get from UT. I guess on some level it's a "bargain" compared to other places. But it's still crazy expensive.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:58 pm

3.1 169 in state is getting close to worthwhile ED in my opinion, but Zuck is right that 140k is a whole lot of money.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BigLawer

Bronze

Post by BigLawer » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:15 pm

If you get into UT ED you are guaranteed a 10k housing stipend each year?

They didn't have a binding ED when I applied, this would be a game changer for me. Ended up choosing T14 over small scholly at Texas... an extra 10k a year probably would have swayed me

Username123

Silver

Post by Username123 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:40 pm

BigLawer wrote:If you get into UT ED you are guaranteed a 10k housing stipend each year?

They didn't have a binding ED when I applied, this would be a game changer for me. Ended up choosing T14 over small scholly at Texas... an extra 10k a year probably would have swayed me
Only Texas residents receive the $10K housing stipend. Non-residents receive some sort of OOS tuition waiver and pay in-state tuition (~$33,000).

http://www.utexas.edu/law/admissions/jd ... cision.php

Username123

Silver

Post by Username123 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:42 pm

Pneumonia wrote: If you have less than median stats, and really want UT, and you're in-state, than ED is a no brainer.
Is ^^^ TCR?

Godric32

New

Post by Godric32 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:09 pm

Quick question, do out of state applicants get any boost for ED?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:19 pm

Uschoolqb10 wrote:
Pneumonia wrote: If you have less than median stats, and really want UT, and you're in-state, than ED is a no brainer.
Is ^^^ TCR?
It is increasingly TCR the lower your GPA and the higher your LSAT

CharlieDash

New

Post by CharlieDash » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:52 pm

What of "Early Decision students will not receive additional merit scholarship consideration..."? (http://www.utexas.edu/law/admissions/application/) Any idea how that jibes with "Students interested in the highly competitive Townes-Rice Scholarship are strongly encouraged to apply for Early Decision Admission?" (http://www.utexas.edu/law/finaid/schola ... award.html)

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:15 pm

Yeah idk what to tell you other than that at least my anecdotal experience suggests that the website quote is not telling the entire story.

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:07 pm

Under no circumstances should out of staters do ED (unless you have really bad stats and are rich as fuck).

Anyone who receives a scholarship $1000 or greater automatically gets an in-state tuition waiver. Over 80% of the class gets a scholarship at this level. Thus there is no real benefit to applying ED OOS, and there is a lot to lose.

If you are contemplating applying ED OOS because you don't think you'll get in, apply RD and retake.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:24 pm

Yeah it's hard to think of a scenario where OOS ED makes sense

whosinthehousejc

Bronze

Post by whosinthehousejc » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:45 am

CharlieDash wrote:What of "Early Decision students will not receive additional merit scholarship consideration..."? (http://www.utexas.edu/law/admissions/application/) Any idea how that jibes with "Students interested in the highly competitive Townes-Rice Scholarship are strongly encouraged to apply for Early Decision Admission?" (http://www.utexas.edu/law/finaid/schola ... award.html)
My guess is that that is old copy from when UT's ED program was non-binding. You could probably Google cache it.

AveryTolar

New

Post by AveryTolar » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:40 am

Just to clarify are ED admits considered for additional merit based $? If they are not and folks are getting accepted in November even if they applied RD than I have a hard time seeing the advantage of ED.

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:04 am

AveryTolar wrote:Just to clarify are ED admits considered for additional merit based $? If they are not and folks are getting accepted in November even if they applied RD than I have a hard time seeing the advantage of ED.
why would they decide to give you more money after they have you completely locked up?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lawschool1741

Bronze

Post by lawschool1741 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:13 am

Last edited by lawschool1741 on Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:41 am

lawschool1741 wrote:
AveryTolar wrote:Just to clarify are ED admits considered for additional merit based $? If they are not and folks are getting accepted in November even if they applied RD than I have a hard time seeing the advantage of ED.
I actually called the admissions office on this to clarify, and they say you are not considered for additional merit-based $$. But I've also heard rumors that you have to apply ED to get the named schollys; however, there is some anecdotal evidence of this not being the case in other threads.

The advantage of ED is if you are on the bubble or OOS - gives you a boost in admissions %. However, if your stats are strong enough, it is definitely better to do RD, as you can negotiate $$. (from my understanding)
no, there is no advantage to EDing. If you need a boost because your stats are not great, the correct way to remedy that problem is to retake. ED to UT, even in state, where the applicant will be debt-financing and covering their own living costs, results in at least ~$120K in debt, which is generally too risky a debt load for UT. 40% of the class gets biglaw/fed clerk, but the median outcome pays 60K, and you better be planning for median.

lawschool1741

Bronze

Post by lawschool1741 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:39 pm

Last edited by lawschool1741 on Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:47 pm

lawschool1741 wrote:
Ron Don Volante wrote:no, there is no advantage to EDing. If you need a boost because your stats are not great, the correct way to remedy that problem is to retake. ED to UT, even in state, where the applicant will be debt-financing and covering their own living costs, results in at least ~$120K in debt, which is generally too risky a debt load for UT. 40% of the class gets biglaw/fed clerk, but the median outcome pays 60K, and you better be planning for median.
where did you get this stat? LST shows mean = $102,500, so I guess you are taking out the biglaw $$, but where do you see this?
Both numbers could be correct, even without leaving anyone out; median and mean are measuring two different things.

That being said, it seems like a lot of my classmates are gunning for PI/non-profit careers. So even though only about 40% of the class is getting biglaw/A3, it seems like your odds of getting that are higher than 40% if it's what you're aiming for.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”