University of Texas Early Decision Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Ron Don Volante

Silver

Re: University of Texas Early Decision

Post by Ron Don Volante » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:06 pm

lawschool1741 wrote:where did you get this stat? LST shows mean = $102,500, so I guess you are taking out the biglaw $$, but where do you see this?
what scottriqui said. entry level law salaries are notoriously bimodal. For the private sector, there are huge peaks at 60K and 160K: the mean is irrelevant because of this. You're on one peak or the other, and there are an extraordinarily low number of people between the two peaks.

I agree scottr, there are a lot of people who claim to be gunning solely for PI. But at the same time, I think a large portion of those people, once they get grades back and understand the ease of getting BL compared to a good PI gig, and keep racking up those loans every semester, will end up doing OCI. I also feel like there's some level of a good ol boys network here, or, at least, there are a ton of people who have serious pre-existing ties to big TX firms. If we're doing some crude math (the only kind I can do) on a generic 0L's biglaw chances at UT, I'd think the PI gunners who remove themselves from the equation are pretty much offset by the people who are getting biglaw pretty much regardless of their grades.

HarveySpecterr

New

Post by HarveySpecterr » Thu May 25, 2017 1:50 am

Ron Don Volante wrote:Under no circumstances should out of staters do ED (unless you have really bad stats and are rich as fuck).

Anyone who receives a scholarship $1000 or greater automatically gets an in-state tuition waiver. Over 80% of the class gets a scholarship at this level. Thus there is no real benefit to applying ED OOS, and there is a lot to lose.

If you are contemplating applying ED OOS because you don't think you'll get in, apply RD and retake.
Ok but what if LSAT isn't the problem? Can't "retake" to fix a jacked up GPA.

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Thu May 25, 2017 7:50 am

HarveySpecterr wrote:
Ron Don Volante wrote:Under no circumstances should out of staters do ED (unless you have really bad stats and are rich as fuck).

Anyone who receives a scholarship $1000 or greater automatically gets an in-state tuition waiver. Over 80% of the class gets a scholarship at this level. Thus there is no real benefit to applying ED OOS, and there is a lot to lose.

If you are contemplating applying ED OOS because you don't think you'll get in, apply RD and retake.
Ok but what if LSAT isn't the problem? Can't "retake" to fix a jacked up GPA.
Date check plz

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”