What Schools Should I Apply To? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Rubbishdump

Bronze

Re: What Schools Should I Apply To?

Post by Rubbishdump » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:20 am

Last edited by Rubbishdump on Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:19 pm

Rubbishdump wrote:White male with 165/3.8 here. From Cleveland. Not sure what schools I should be targeting. Others have suggested Emory, Case Western, Tulane, etc. Not sure about going out of state and entering markets in the south I don't have ties, too, however - but feel my scores are too low to go anywhere with national reach. Any ideas?
If you want to stay in Ohio, a good option would be to shoot for a full ride or significant ship at Ohio State. You should be in the ball park of a full ride. A full ride at Case wouldn't be a bad option to have either, if you want to work in Cleveland.

Steven24

New

Post by Steven24 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:07 am

Hi there,

Looking at these new statistics gives me a little bit of hope in a sense. I did not do great in my undergrad as I struggled with figuring out what exactly I wanted to do.. I graduated with a low GPA of 2.5. I know.. it's below average. It's nothing at all to be proud of. Nothing has interested me more than the possibility of getting into Law school. I've been studying for the upcoming LSAT for February and plan on taking it in June in case all does not go well. My goal is to aim for a 160-165 as I feel like that is realistic.

What is the best school do you think I can get into with scholarships and such? My initial goal was St.Thomas in MN as it is local but if I can hit my LSAT score range, I'd love to go to Ohio State? Thoughts? Insight?

Rubbishdump

Bronze

Post by Rubbishdump » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:39 pm

Rubbishdump

Bronze

Post by Rubbishdump » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:40 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sharpie202

New

Post by sharpie202 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:21 pm

I have a 3.4 GPA (lower first year GPA, but 3.86 last semester in college) from top 3 liberal arts college (also many collegiate accolades)...I am registered for the LSAT in February, hoping to apply for entry in Fall 2018. What LSAT score do I realistically need to aim for to be considered for Berkeley, Cornell, Penn, or NYU. My practice tests are a bit all over the place but the highest I have recently received was a 164 and then 168. Given that I am not applying until the Fall, should I postpone my February test date and take it in June (would rather be one and done than take it in Feb and then again in June or September). I work full-time, so feel as though the Feb test might be approaching a few weeks too quickly (one month to go), but also feel as though 4 months until the June LSAT is rather long. All test prepping advice and recommendations are welcomed.

Dodocogon

Silver

Post by Dodocogon » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:05 pm

sharpie202 wrote:I have a 3.4 GPA (lower first year GPA, but 3.86 last semester in college) from top 3 liberal arts college (also many collegiate accolades)...I am registered for the LSAT in February, hoping to apply for entry in Fall 2018. What LSAT score do I realistically need to aim for to be considered for Berkeley, Cornell, Penn, or NYU. My practice tests are a bit all over the place but the highest I have recently received was a 164 and then 168. Given that I am not applying until the Fall, should I postpone my February test date and take it in June (would rather be one and done than take it in Feb and then again in June or September). I work full-time, so feel as though the Feb test might be approaching a few weeks too quickly (one month to go), but also feel as though 4 months until the June LSAT is rather long. All test prepping advice and recommendations are welcomed.
I'd go for the June take - 4 months working full time isn't 'too long' in my eyes, and if you're truly shooting for one-and-done, I think that's the test for you. Plus, if something happens on the test or you know you can do better, you do still have the Sept. test to fall back on (you aren't going to need it, but it can help with nerves to know this isn't a final thing).

As for a target LSAT for those schools, I'd say a 168 gets you a look from Cornell, 169 for Penn, and maybe a 171/172 for NYU/Berk. So obviously get the highest you can, but I think you'll need to break into the 170's to get as strong a chance as you would want for those schools.

Panharith

New

Post by Panharith » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:56 am

[Spam links removed]

nwise

New

Post by nwise » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:58 pm

I have just dropped out of a PhD in economics after the first two years. I hold a masters degree in the field (done previously and separate from the PhD). I've gotten straight As in grad school, where my overall GPA is around 3.95/4. It's been 3 years since I finished undergrad, and my GPA is 3.5 (much much higher by the end, 4.0 last two years). I haven't taken the LSAT yet but my GRE is 167/165/5 (98th percentile in verbal reasoning, 89th in math and 93rd in writing). If the LSAT correlates to that test I can expect to score around 170 or 171.

I have good reasons for dropping out and have those strong technical/quant skills that are in demand in certain law fields. The school I'm at for the PhD is top 20 in the world for econ.

What am I looking at here? Help me out.
Thanks! :D :oops:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:21 am

nwise wrote:I have just dropped out of a PhD in economics after the first two years. I hold a masters degree in the field (done previously and separate from the PhD). I've gotten straight As in grad school, where my overall GPA is around 3.95/4. It's been 3 years since I finished undergrad, and my GPA is 3.5 (much much higher by the end, 4.0 last two years). I haven't taken the LSAT yet but my GRE is 167/165/5 (98th percentile in verbal reasoning, 89th in math and 93rd in writing). If the LSAT correlates to that test I can expect to score around 170 or 171.

I have good reasons for dropping out and have those strong technical/quant skills that are in demand in certain law fields. The school I'm at for the PhD is top 20 in the world for econ.

What am I looking at here? Help me out.
Thanks! :D :oops:
Your graduate economics work doesn't mean much in terms of admissions
The LSAT might correlate to the GRE somewhat but if you're most people you have to actually study for the LSAT. Hard to give you advice without a real LSAT score or even a fake one
What are your goals in terms of a legal job? Where do you want to practice?

nwise

New

Post by nwise » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:47 am

stego wrote:Your graduate economics work doesn't mean much in terms of admissions
The LSAT might correlate to the GRE somewhat but if you're most people you have to actually study for the LSAT. Hard to give you advice without a real LSAT score or even a fake one
What are your goals in terms of a legal job? Where do you want to practice?
Thanks for the reply!

Yes I plan on studying properly for the september LSAT and having december as backup. I'm told that the verbal section of the GRE is a good predictor. It's not that I lterally expect to get 170, but it's my best guess. Let's just suppose that's what happens.

As for goals for legal practice and the relevenace of economics. The one key field where my knowledge is relevant, and that I'm interested in, is antitrust (competition) law. For instance, when the government challenges a merger or acquisition, economic models are used to estimate the effect of the change on the market in question. If the new outcome resembles a market monopoly, that would be used as evidence against the merger.

The most exciting/lucrative place to do this might be silicon valley. New digital companies are creating and then dominating these sophisticated new market structures (youtube, netflix, and amazon etc.). There are all kinds of interesting problems arising in antitrust and intellectual property law in these spaces, much of which rely on quantitative analysis that few lawyers and judges understand at a high level.

It's broader than that, though. Most economic markets grapple at some point with the dynamics of market power and its interaction with antitrust law. I'm told that it's a growing field, that relatively few law school students are interested in pursuing because it seems dry and quant skills can be important. Seems to make sense to me!

nm2323

New

Post by nm2323 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:07 pm

I am applying to law school this cycle. Just got my June lsat score back and looking at schools I can get into.

White female

LSAT: 174
GPA: 3.68 (at Boston College, don't know if that helps)

Softs:
2 year volunteer at local prison as adult education tutor
Part of several other service organizations both domestic and international
Started a Jesuit refugee program chapter at my university
Part of undergraduate student government (on board of student organizations)
Big Sisters of Boston
Studied abroad and did research in South Africa, published in school journal.
Ran several local political campaigns through start up campaign incubator
Conducted research with prominent theologian

Really would love to get into Harvard but I want to know where I will be able to get into with my scores. I know my gpa is low for the top schools but maybe my lsat would off set it?

Thanks for all your help!

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:13 pm

nm2323 wrote:I am applying to law school this cycle. Just got my June lsat score back and looking at schools I can get into.

White female

LSAT: 174
GPA: 3.68 (at Boston College, don't know if that helps)

Softs:
2 year volunteer at local prison as adult education tutor
Part of several other service organizations both domestic and international
Started a Jesuit refugee program chapter at my university
Part of undergraduate student government (on board of student organizations)
Big Sisters of Boston
Studied abroad and did research in South Africa, published in school journal.
Ran several local political campaigns through start up campaign incubator
Conducted research with prominent theologian

Really would love to get into Harvard but I want to know where I will be able to get into with my scores. I know my gpa is low for the top schools but maybe my lsat would off set it?

Thanks for all your help!
Apply everywhere.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:43 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

m_wahla96

New

Post by m_wahla96 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:04 pm

I have a 3.65 gpa and a 165 lsat score. What schools should I apply to? I wanted top 20 but that won't happen with my numbers so I'm looking at schools like Emory, gwu, and Arizona State.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:22 pm

m_wahla96 wrote:I have a 3.65 gpa and a 165 lsat score. What schools should I apply to? I wanted top 20 but that won't happen with my numbers so I'm looking at schools like Emory, gwu, and Arizona State.
What are your career goals and where do you want to work?

m_wahla96

New

Post by m_wahla96 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:38 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
m_wahla96 wrote:I have a 3.65 gpa and a 165 lsat score. What schools should I apply to? I wanted top 20 but that won't happen with my numbers so I'm looking at schools like Emory, gwu, and Arizona State.
I want to work in DC most likely since I live there. But I would be open to go anywhere that I'm offered a good job. I want to practice to law

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:43 am

m_wahla96 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
I want to work in DC most likely since I live there. But I would be open to go anywhere that I'm offered a good job. I want to practice to law
Well, GW gives you a very low chance at biglaw, but you could presumably find a position with a small firm or local PI. Emory gives you a minimal chance of working for a DC firm. Arizona State gives you pretty much no chance at all.

Big DC firms are the most competitive in the nation (excluding secondary markets where the selectivity is based primarily on your pre-existing ties to the region). If your goal is a big firm in DC, then retake the LSAT and shoot for a better school.

m_wahla96

New

Post by m_wahla96 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:50 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
m_wahla96 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Well, GW gives you a very low chance at biglaw, but you could presumably find a position with a small firm or local PI. Emory gives you a minimal chance of working for a DC firm. Arizona State gives you pretty much no chance at all.

Big DC firms are the most competitive in the nation (excluding secondary markets where the selectivity is based primarily on your pre-existing ties to the region). If your goal is a big firm in DC, then retake the LSAT and shoot for a better school.
I plan to retake the lsat but it was extremely difficult for me to even get a 165 so I'm not very optimistic. With the numbers I have, the best I will be able to get into is top 20-30 range. Should I just apply to schools in the state I want to practice in? Since I'm not able to get into the t14 range? Even if they are not ranked as highly as Emory or Arizona state?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:53 am

m_wahla96 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
m_wahla96 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

I plan to retake the lsat but it was extremely difficult for me to even get a 165 so I'm not very optimistic. With the numbers I have, the best I will be able to get into is top 20-30 range. Should I just apply to schools in the state I want to practice in? Since I'm not able to get into the t14 range? Even if they are not ranked as highly as Emory or Arizona state?
Generally, yes. But DC is a bit of a mixed bag, because a lot of people want to go there, and it's not as big a market as NYC. But absolutely don't go somewhere like ASU if you don't want to practice in Arizona.

m_wahla96

New

Post by m_wahla96 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:15 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
m_wahla96 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
m_wahla96 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

Generally, yes. But DC is a bit of a mixed bag, because a lot of people want to go there, and it's not as big a market as NYC. But absolutely don't go somewhere like ASU if you don't want to practice in Arizona.
Thank you! I appreciate your responses. One last question though. If I want to practice in northern Virginia, would schools like Emory, Boston university, Notre dame, and gwu (the t20-t30) be fine schools to go to or will I have trouble finding a job?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:55 pm

m_wahla96 wrote:Thank you! I appreciate your responses. One last question though. If I want to practice in northern Virginia, would schools like Emory, Boston university, Notre dame, and gwu (the t20-t30) be fine schools to go to or will I have trouble finding a job?
Which of those schools are in Northern Virginia?

You can always try to come back to the region if you have pre-existing ties, but you're talking about regional schools. BU's ranking relative to Emory is meaningless if you want to get a job in Atlanta, and vice versa if you want a job in Boston.

guyguyguy

New

Post by guyguyguy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:37 am

LSAT: 163
GPA: 3.41

Decent softs, studied engineering. Non-URM.

Looking at BC, not sure what schools better than BC I have chance at.

Thoughts?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:08 am

guyguyguy wrote:LSAT: 163

Thoughts?
What do you want to do with your degree? Where do you want to work?

guyguyguy

New

Post by guyguyguy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:50 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
guyguyguy wrote:LSAT: 163

Thoughts?
What do you want to do with your degree? Where do you want to work?
A variety of different areas interest me: constitutional law, corporate law (M&A), financial law, IP.

As far as a job, I'd like to work with start ups or in VC both as a a financial and legal consultant. Still pretty open to most fields within law, but I definitely want to get into politics later in life.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”