Letter from Stanford "Inviting to Apply" ? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Cicero76

Silver

Re: Letter from Stanford "Inviting to Apply" ?

Post by Cicero76 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:18 pm

iLaw wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:
iLaw wrote:Do not let anyone talk you into HYS, T6, whatever, that costs money when you can go to a top 20 school for free. Most everyone I SAed with were from T-6 and every one of them was stressed because of debt. Keep that in mind.
Going to a free T20 over HYS is utterly, completely and undeniably insane. No offense.
None taken. What you said is what my family and well intentioned friends advised when I turned down Yale for my school (ranked inside the top 20). Neither Yale nor Stanford were overly generous with scholly money — at least not compared to free. Then there was the COL issue of moving to the frigid Northeast or the super high COL of SF versus living at home in a spacious home with free food and a movie theater. At the end of the day I am one of 10 people being offered (4 from HYS, 3 from T14) and the only one without any debt whatsoever and my bar will be paid in full by the firm.

BTW: LA has a ton of law firms (many BL) so OCI is a given. Granted if I were living in a non-metro area, yeah, I’d learn the Yale fight song.
I guess I can understand that, and I definitely understand the relief you feel at being debt free. I even admire the courage it takes to stand up to your family and do what you think is a better situation.

But I can't help but think that you had to get a good deal lucky to end up so well off in terms of the job you got (look at the credentials of your co-associates), and you wouldn't have needed that luck if you went to Yale. Or maybe you were brilliant enough you were guaranteed to be #1 at whatever T20 it was. Idk, but I couldn't take that chance on myself.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:52 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:I don't personally see anything wrong with posting acceptances you're excited about on Facebook, although I chose not to do that myself. Once I decided where I was going, though, I let my friends know about it. I don't think that was a "tool move."
Right, of course. Tell friends and family. Announcing acceptances on Facebook is just a way to brag to people who aren't your family or real friends.

nothingtosee

Silver

Post by nothingtosee » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:02 pm

BigZuck wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:I don't personally see anything wrong with posting acceptances you're excited about on Facebook, although I chose not to do that myself. Once I decided where I was going, though, I let my friends know about it. I don't think that was a "tool move."
Right, of course. Tell friends and family. Announcing acceptances on Facebook is just a way to brag to people who aren't your family or real friends.
Meh. I've got a high school acquaintance who's a TTT music act and a couple college ones who post "rolling into chiefs training camp! #hardwork" or stuff like that. It's cool to see. I went to a high school where 4 kids go to ivys every 10 years. It'd be cool to see one with an "just accepted to nyu law" status. Idk, maybe if a t14 acceptance is nbd for your clique and you do it you're a douche, but I like seeing people succeed.

envisciguy

Bronze

Post by envisciguy » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:05 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
envisciguy wrote:
BigZuck wrote:For people asking, yes, posting acceptances on Facebook does make you a tool.

This cycle Harvard sent out an email to a bunch of people encouraging them to apply so that they could ultimately reject them. I know Yale sends out packets to people, but I think that's usually just high numbered URMs. Stanford probably does the same thing.
Disagree. I posted on Facebook last year when I got some of my more exciting acceptances and those were the statuses I've received the most "likes" for. When I see friends post on Facebook about med school acceptances, I'm always happy for them and like their statuses. The only people who would think you're a tool are other people going to the same type of professional school as you and feeling like you're boasting.
I can see making one FB announcement when you've decided where you'll be attending, but updating your status as each new acceptance comes in *does* sound a little douchey, TBH.
For what it's worth, I was referring to updating my status for a select few acceptances - those that I was most excited about (2-3) and wanted to tell my friends about. I guess that might have rubbed some the wrong way, but I've never seen something like that from a friend and thought it was douchey, so maybe it's all a matter of personal preference.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:35 pm

BigZuck wrote:
I typed that last post in a hurry -- I meant to say I let my friends on Facebook know about which school I'd chosen to attend, as well as my family and close friends. I don't think announcing a life-changing decision on Facebook makes one a tool, since that's really what Facebook is about: letting what your friends know what you are up to.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

iLaw

New

Post by iLaw » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:36 pm

Cicero76 wrote:I guess I can understand that, and I definitely understand the relief you feel at being debt free. I even admire the courage it takes to stand up to your family and do what you think is a better situation.

But I can't help but think that you had to get a good deal lucky to end up so well off in terms of the job you got (look at the credentials of your co-associates), and you wouldn't have needed that luck if you went to Yale. Or maybe you were brilliant enough you were guaranteed to be #1 at whatever T20 it was. Idk, but I couldn't take that chance on myself.
I guess what I am trying to convey is that IF you have T-10 grades, cash them in for a free ride (with the caveat that the school you select is competitive). A 177/3.94 shouldn’t necessarily lock you into the best possible school, debt be dammed. I loved my HYS SAs, but honesty they would have done just as well at some other school, landing a $160K offer somewhere and walking away debt free. I’ve had this conversation a number of times (IRL) and in the end someone suggests luck was a major factor. NO. The major factor is the concept — good school no debt. Even if my SA offer was only $125K, I’d still think it was a better outcome than $160K with $250K in debt. IMHO. Opting for HYS is one hell of an expensive insurance policy.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:41 pm

Lol i would never have posted acceptances on FB

I did post which school I ended up choosing

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:53 pm

Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:57 pm

I briefly thought about making my cover photo a list of all of the schools that I'm applying to and the status.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:59 pm

/
Last edited by t-14orbust on Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:02 pm

I'll definitely FB post a picture of the origami law school that I build out of all my job rejection letters.

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:18 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
I typed that last post in a hurry -- I meant to say I let my friends on Facebook know about which school I'd chosen to attend, as well as my family and close friends. I don't think announcing a life-changing decision on Facebook makes one a tool, since that's really what Facebook is about: letting what your friends know what you are up to.

Maybe you are more conservative with who you choose to accept as fb friends than most people. If I posted where I'll be going to school on fb, I think 75% of the people seeing it would not feel happy for me, because they're not real friends, they're either people from high school who I haven't spoken with in years or people I've met at parties or whatnot. To them, I'd just be showing off. In fact, I have a good number of fb friends (not close friends in real life) at TTT law schools. They would definitely think I'm a huge douche bag. The people who would actually care and be happy for me despite whatever they're doing in life make up such a small group that, for me, it just makes more sense to shoot some emails, meet some friends at a bar, etc.

For the record though, I don't think just posting where you will be attending law school makes you a tool (even if, like me, you have friends at lower-tier schools who will think so). The "tool" label is reserved for minute-by-minute acceptance updates, tagging all 856 of your friends so you KNOW they know, and pictures of acceptance letters as proof-- God I hate that last one.

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:19 pm

/
Last edited by t-14orbust on Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

radar714

Bronze

Post by radar714 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:21 pm

+1

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:44 pm

You're aspie if you cannot see that posting your acceptances is really, really obnoxious. Posting where you're going, however, is fine and normal.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:22 pm

I had a friend who let Facebook know literally every time he got into a school (incidentally they were all TTTTs). When he posted a status about getting into Creighton, I was so close to commenting with this.

Ling520

New

Post by Ling520 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:34 pm

Last edited by Ling520 on Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:39 pm

I got a letter from Berkeley inviting me to apply (with a fee waiver) last year. 3.60/162 non urm. I got dinged within three weeks of applying. It doesn't mean jack shit.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:49 pm

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:27 am

sublime wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:I got a letter from Berkeley inviting me to apply (with a fee waiver) last year. 3.60/162 non urm. I got dinged within three weeks of applying. It doesn't mean jack shit.

I thought you were URM for some reason. :?:
Because of the avatar? 8)

Facebook sucks majorly. If it weren't for events or fbchat, I would have gotten rid of it long ago. And now that I'm studying for the LSAT I don't even care about events. FBchat at work is still boss though.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:34 pm

paglababa wrote:FBchat at work is still boss though.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:41 pm

This reminds of when 98% of my high school's population thought they were good enough for U Chicago.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”