Switch from Medicine to Law Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Dbate

New

Switch from Medicine to Law

Post by Dbate » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:19 am

Hello,

I recently graduated from college and I was set on the premed pathway. I got a degree in Molecular Biology from a quality university (HYP) with a an okay gpa (3.57). I took the MCAT and scored fairly well with a 35 (the average at Harvard Med is a 36), so i am intellectually capable of pursuing a medical career.

My only problem is that I think I don't want to be a doctor anymore. Since my freshman year of college, I had wanted to be a political science major and pursue law school, but I decided against that because I didn't want to take the "easy" way out. But now that I think of it, that is what I should have pursued.

With my low GPA I will probably not get into a good law school, so do you think it would be worth it to switch to a legal career?

Dbate

New

Re: Switch from Medicine to Law

Post by Dbate » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:20 am

Also, when I was a sophomore and last had this debate about my future career, I decided to take a practice LSAT and scored a 159 without any preparation.

I don't know how much I will be able to improve, so take that for what its worth.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:22 am

Go to med school

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:23 am

Last edited by Nova on Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:23 am

Don't go to med school. Every doctor I've met have said, "Don't go. Be a PA."

Make six figures, way less debt, only two years for the program, and you get to deal with patients almost as much as doctors.
Last edited by ManoftheHour on Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dbate

New

Post by Dbate » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:23 am

What are those two links for?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:24 am

they show you what schools you can likely get into with your GPA and hypothetical LSAT

Dbate

New

Post by Dbate » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:25 am

ManoftheHour wrote:Don't go to med school. Every doctor I've met have said, "Don't go. Be a PA."
The main reason I don't want to go is that I don't believe the medical field in general is right for me. When I would be in the hospital shadowing, I just wanted to leave.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:26 am

ManoftheHour wrote:Don't go to med school. Every doctor I've met have said, "Don't go. Be a PA."

Make six figures, way less debt, only two years for the program, and you get to deal with patients almost as much as doctors.
not bad

maybe i should get a P.A.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dbate

New

Post by Dbate » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:27 am

Nova wrote:they show you what schools you can likely get into with your GPA and hypothetical LSAT

Oh that's really helpful then!

Do people tend to increase alot from their practice LSAT scores? Would I be able to improve from the 159 I initially scored as a sophomore?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:28 am

its very possible to improve 10+ points

most people just dont study right or try hard enough
Last edited by Nova on Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:28 am

Dbate wrote:
The main reason I don't want to go is that I don't believe the medical field in general is right for me. When I would be in the hospital shadowing, I just wanted to leave.
Fair enough. I understand your plight because I was a former pre-med. Loved bio, but I couldn't see myself working in a hospital. Frankly, they make me miserable and I get extremely depressed being around sick and dying people.

With a 170+ score, you'd be looking at several T-14s acceptances and state flagships with $$.

If you don't like medicine, don't do it. It won't be worth it. It's a lot of money, but also a lot of years, debt, and stress. Not worth it if you don't have the passion. With that said, do law only if you know for sure you want to do law. Unlike medicine, law's economy is really shitty.
Last edited by ManoftheHour on Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:30 am

OP:

Start off with these. They're the best in the business:
http://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-LSAT-St ... attan+lsat

After you do each section, drill questions by types:
http://www.cambridgelsat.com/

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:32 am

very credited

Dbate

New

Post by Dbate » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:38 am

ManoftheHour wrote:OP:

This is great advice and I really appreciate it!

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:47 am

Dbate wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:OP:

This is great advice and I really appreciate it!
Also check around the forums here..some great self-study guides and advice threads.
A few popular ones below

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... =6&t=41657 (one of the best you can find, and it's free!)

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... ?f=6&t=396 (compendium of what various people did to study)

tractal

New

Post by tractal » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:26 am

Dbate wrote: The main reason I don't want to go is that I don't believe the medical field in general is right for me. When I would be in the hospital shadowing, I just wanted to leave.
Time to shadow a lawyer.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

buddyt

Silver

Post by buddyt » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:35 pm

From a career standpoint, not sure why you would choose law school. Medicine generally pays really well, the odds of you securing solid employment are practically 100%, you're actually helping people in a meaningful way, etc.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:55 pm

Dbate wrote:
Nova wrote:they show you what schools you can likely get into with your GPA and hypothetical LSAT

Oh that's really helpful then!

Do people tend to increase alot from their practice LSAT scores? Would I be able to improve from the 159 I initially scored as a sophomore?
My very first cold PT ( not even knowing if the test was multiple choice going in) was a 157. 176 this last October.

It's possible but not guaranteed but it is guaranteed to require some effort.

I believe you should not go to med school if you don't want to be a doctor but financially speaking, med school kills law schools.

You will need to break a 170 for law school to not be a giant waste of money

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:59 pm

buddyt wrote:From a career standpoint, not sure why you would choose law school. Medicine generally pays really well, the odds of you securing solid employment are practically 100%, you're actually helping people in a meaningful way, etc.
While your statements are true, if you don't have the passion, you won't make it in medicine. It's not worth your youth and early 30s if it's not something you want to do.

jkay

Bronze

Post by jkay » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:39 pm

There's a third career path here: Biology related Ph.D.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:24 pm

Wait, won't OP be eligible for patent law or something? Someone should chime in on that because law may actually be worth it, financially...not compared to medicine, but for the cost.

unclepete

Bronze

Post by unclepete » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:38 pm

Don't go to med school unless you can't imagine yourself being anything but a doctor. I can't stress this enough.

My sister started med school last August, took a leave of absence within a month, and is now pursuing something completely different and couldn't be happier. Sure, it's a well-respected career, but realize that you will have NO life (seriously....zero) for about 8-10 years, have zero say in where you live for 4-5. If you're having any doubts AT ALL, do not go.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:46 pm

unclepete wrote:Don't go to med school unless you can't imagine yourself being anything but a doctor. I can't stress this enough.

My sister started med school last August, took a leave of absence within a month, and is now pursuing something completely different and couldn't be happier. Sure, it's a well-respected career, but realize that you will have NO life (seriously....zero) for about 8-10 years, have zero say in where you live for 4-5. If you're having any doubts AT ALL, do not go.
This. So much this. So many people don't know. Med school is no joke. You have to be okay with giving up your 20s and early 30s, be in quarter million + debt BEFORE interest, not knowing where you will end up for residency, and all the work and stress that comes with it. Forget about dating and social life.

You don't just get into med school, waltz through, and become rich. Going to med school is one of the dumbest things to do if all you want to be is rich.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:58 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
unclepete wrote:Don't go to med school unless you can't imagine yourself being anything but a doctor. I can't stress this enough.

This. So much this. So many people don't know. Med school is no joke. You have to be okay with giving up your 20s and early 30s, be in quarter million + debt BEFORE interest, not knowing where you will end up for residency, and all the work and stress that comes with it. Forget about dating and social life.

You don't just get into med school, waltz through, and become rich. Going to med school is one of the dumbest things to do if all you want to be is rich.
Sounds like law school > biglaw

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”