How to find out Class Rank in college (top 10%, etc.) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
usmgirl312

New

How to find out Class Rank in college (top 10%, etc.)

Post by usmgirl312 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:50 pm

I want to know my class rank. I just found out my registrar's office says they cannot calculate it until after I graduate... This is, of course, not helpful to me.
I want to know so I can add it to my law school applications. How did everyone else find out?
I asked the woman how I was able to get into honor societies on campus with restrictions like admission offered to students in the top 15% etc. if no one knew that information? She said she had no clue. So frustrated. Could use some help please.

Thank you.

vzapana

Silver

Re: How to find out Class Rank in college (top 10%, etc.)

Post by vzapana » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:48 am

Have you submitted your transcript to LSAC? You'll be able to see your percentile rank on the academic summary report.

one_by_one

Bronze

Post by one_by_one » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:51 am

vzapana wrote:Have you submitted your transcript to LSAC? You'll be able to see your percentile rank on the academic summary report.
I think that the number on the academic summary report is your rank relative to other law school applicants from your school, not all indivs in your class..

ETA: "GPA College Mean*: The average GPA for law school candidates who graduated at any time period from the institution and who registered for the Credential Assembly Service during the most recent three years you attended the school. There must be a minimum of 50 candidates in the LSAC database to produce this calculation"

bettercallsaul91

Bronze

Post by bettercallsaul91 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:50 am

one_by_one wrote: I think that the number on the academic summary report is your rank relative to other law school applicants from your school, not all indivs in your class..

ETA: "GPA College Mean*: The average GPA for law school candidates who graduated at any time period from the institution and who registered for the Credential Assembly Service during the most recent three years you attended the school. There must be a minimum of 50 candidates in the LSAC database to produce this calculation"
Well that makes me feel better. I was surprised at how low percentile my GPA was according to that, but now it makes sense ...

vzapana

Silver

Post by vzapana » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:08 am

one_by_one wrote:
vzapana wrote:Have you submitted your transcript to LSAC? You'll be able to see your percentile rank on the academic summary report.
I think that the number on the academic summary report is your rank relative to other law school applicants from your school, not all indivs in your class..

Ah I stand corrected. Thanks for clarifying.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RileySchiassi

New

Post by RileySchiassi » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:07 am

usmgirl312 wrote:I want to know my class rank. I just found out my registrar's office says they cannot calculate it until after I graduate... This is, of course, not helpful to me.
I want to know so I can add it to my law school applications. How did everyone else find out?
I asked the woman how I was able to get into honor societies on campus with restrictions like admission offered to students in the top 15% etc. if no one knew that information? She said she had no clue. So frustrated. Could use some help please.

Thank you.
I think you can go to the college administration and they should help you there.

Bestes

New

Post by Bestes » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:32 pm

Many schools will post the GPA cutoffs for Latin honors. By comparing your GPA to these cutoffs you may get a pretty good idea of your class rank

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:50 pm

First off, holy necro. A seven-year-old thread (from 2012) brought back from the dead! New posters, take note: Please don't resurrect ancient threads unless there's a compelling reason for doing so. A thread about determining one's college class rank doesn't qualify.

That said, since the harm's already been done at this point: For law school admissions purposes, what matters is your GPA as calculated by LSAC (which is usually, but not always, the same as your GPA as calculated by your college - typically differences crop up when one has AP/community college or other transfer grades, and/or one or more "forgiven" grades). Law schools don't care whether a GPA of 3.8 puts you in the top 5% or the top 20% at your college. They don't care about the difficulty of your major or whether your major GPA is higher than your overall GPA. They only care about your LSAC GPA. Yes, I realize it doesn't make sense, but it is what it is.

Similarly, honor society memberships based on GPA/class rank are generally all but irrelevant in the law school admissions process. Scholarships/honors may move the needle if super-prestigious (think Rhodes), but otherwise a garden-variety college merit scholarship or award won't make a difference for law school admissions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”