How to write an appeal for fee waiver Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Cventura0603

New

How to write an appeal for fee waiver

Post by Cventura0603 » Fri May 18, 2012 10:46 am

Hello everyone! I'm fairly new to the Lsac application process and I need some help! I was denied the Lsac fee waiver because I make too much money; I'm a single and my income was
21,000 last year. How is it possible that I was denied!? So I am in the process of writing this appeal but what documents should I provide and how should I write this letter? Any advice would be appreciated!

Tom Joad

Gold

Re: How to write an appeal for fee waiver

Post by Tom Joad » Fri May 18, 2012 10:49 am

You probably made more money last year than 80% of law school applicants. Everybody is applying to law school because they have no job or are tired of their terrible job.

ETA: Source for 80% figure: my behind.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Fri May 18, 2012 11:18 am

Unfortunately, you're unlikely to get the fee waiver. I applied at 25, was not claimed as a dependent, and made half of what you did last year. I was denied. My friends in masters programs who didn't earn anything at all got the fee waiver.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri May 18, 2012 11:22 am

Unfortunately, a single applicant making $21,000 per year without substantial medical or dependent deductions probably doesn't qualify for fee waivers. Contact LSAC & ask for their financial guidelines regarding fee waivers. Nevertheless, individual law schools can grant application fee waivers for their law school.

R86

Bronze

Post by R86 » Fri May 18, 2012 12:10 pm

Sent you a PM.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jchan

New

Post by Jchan » Thu May 24, 2012 2:38 am

I know. It is ridiculous. Im trying to write an appeal now and dont know how to do it either. Gluck and lmk if u or anyone else know how to plz!

futurejdgirl

Bronze

Post by futurejdgirl » Thu May 24, 2012 4:38 am

I got a fee waiver based on my parents income as well as other issues that I detailed specifically in my letter - parents filed bankruptcy some years ago, father is unemployed, mom only makes around 1600/month, medical bills. ANY unusual/extreme/unfortunate circumstance - mention it.

R86

Bronze

Post by R86 » Thu May 24, 2012 12:02 pm

Jchan wrote:I know. It is ridiculous. Im trying to write an appeal now and dont know how to do it either. Gluck and lmk if u or anyone else know how to plz!
Sent you a PM.

futurejdgirl

Bronze

Post by futurejdgirl » Thu May 24, 2012 3:55 pm

Another piece of advice - overwhelm them with documentation of your financial circumstances. Do not hesitate to send too much..bank statements, medical bills, etc. I think that's what got my appeal approved.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

R86

Bronze

Post by R86 » Thu May 24, 2012 4:39 pm

Great advice.

People on this forum are incredible negative and bitter about the fee waiver proccess. While it does seem like LSAC is quick to deny people, some of whom genuinely do need a waiver, they also grant a lot every year. I was initially denied but approved upon appeal. Like futurejdgirl said, I would send as much as possible - a bank statement proving that you have very little cash at hand, student loan statements, medical bills, old tax returns - anything that could help hammer in your point.

I also wrote a letter that said, basically, I know there are a lot of people out there struggling more than I am, but that my parents and I truly are in an incredibly difficult financial situation and if you granted me a fee waiver I would appreciate it beyond words and use it, to the best of my ability, to accomplish my dream of going to law school.

All I've got is my single, very personal experience to go by, but it leads me to believe that a heartfelt appeal letter, backed up by as much evidence of financial need/hardship you can manage, can work.

R86

Bronze

Post by R86 » Thu May 24, 2012 11:56 pm

Skunt wrote:Tell them you're black that'll work
Skunt wrote:Forging my professor's signature on my LORs

Haven't been caught yet thank God
Obvious troll after two posts is obvious...

Cventura0603

New

Post by Cventura0603 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:45 pm

I just wanted to inform everyone that I was approved for the fee waiver, so IT IS POSSIBLE!!!!! TRY TRY TRY!

Cventura0603

New

Post by Cventura0603 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:47 pm

R86 wrote:Sent you a PM.
I just wanted to thank you for guiding me in the fee waiver process. Your awesome!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NewYorkL

Bronze

Post by NewYorkL » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:28 pm

I think I can make a compelling case for a requesting a fee waiver. If anyone could help me out, I would greatly appreciate it.

tc22

New

Post by tc22 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:59 pm

futurejdgirl wrote:I got a fee waiver based on my parents income as well as other issues that I detailed specifically in my letter - parents filed bankruptcy some years ago, father is unemployed, mom only makes around 1600/month, medical bills. ANY unusual/extreme/unfortunate circumstance - mention it.
This.

I also got a fee waiver for pretty much the exact same situation, except both parents got laid off and had to file for bankruptcy. I originally got denied because the tax forms they requested from my parents were from when my dad was still making aroun $100K. I was making around $22,000/year at the time. I was very detailed in my letter including what my current bills where (i.e. rent in a city where the cost of living is ridiculous, high student loan payments, insurance, etc...). I listed the calculations of how much I was making per month after taxes minus all my bills and how with such little disposable income I would be unable to afford the application fees. I think I included documentation of my parents' current lack of income, bankruptcy court filings, as well as the lay-off letters for both my parents.

R86

Bronze

Post by R86 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:48 am

Cventura0603 wrote:
R86 wrote:Sent you a PM.
I just wanted to thank you for guiding me in the fee waiver process. Your awesome!
No problem. Glad I was able to help.

rechtsanwalt12

New

Post by rechtsanwalt12 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:38 am

Something you should all keep in mind (going through this myself right now).

After you submit your fee waiver request, your LSAC account may be put on hold if you are conditionally approved for the waiver. This means NO LSAT score updates until the approval is final once you send in documents. Really regret doing this the week before June scores are released...

Update: I faxed LSAC lots of documents and an appeal and I was approved within about 6 hours. It really works!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

R86

Bronze

Post by R86 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:59 am

rechtsanwalt12 wrote:Something you should all keep in mind (going through this myself right now).

After you submit your fee waiver request, your LSAC account may be put on hold if you are conditionally approved for the waiver. This means NO LSAT score updates until the approval is final once you send in documents. Really regret doing this the week before June scores are released...

Update: I faxed LSAC lots of documents and an appeal and I was approved within about 6 hours. It really works!
Nice! Hope you get the score you're looking for.

nrp08

New

Post by nrp08 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:46 am

I am currently going through writing my appeals letter can anyone help please?!?

R86

Bronze

Post by R86 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:36 am

nrp08 wrote:I am currently going through writing my appeals letter can anyone help please?!?
PMed

memphislawstudent

New

Post by memphislawstudent » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:17 am

PLEASEEEEE help me I am in the process of trying to submit my fee waiver please anyone!

sfirsov1972

New

Post by sfirsov1972 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:29 pm

in same court 4 judges approved my fee waiver form, but 1 judge denied. How to appeal?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”