I want to be a prosecutor Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Geetar Man

Silver

Re: I want to be a prosecutor

Post by Geetar Man » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:45 pm

oaken wrote:
CactusPuppy wrote:I'm sorry but ruining people's lives for smoking weed is not noble. USA has some of the most unjust criminal statutes in the industrialized world, and there is nothing noble about seeking the max for violation of mostly stupid and Constitutionally repugnant laws.
You are an absolute fucking moron.

+1... 1L (cactuspuppy) ftl.
Geist13 wrote: Go ahead. Go find a single example of someone currently being prosecuted for felony possession of marijuana. Felony possession of marijuana? Are you kidding me?
I'm on your side, bro. But there are times when people are charged with a felony for possession. For instance, someone would be charged at the federal level for possession of marijuana when they are in possession of 100 (give or take) or more lbs. In all honesty, federal prosecutors really don't prosecute anything less than 400 lbs. But that's basically it. You'd basically have to have a shit ton and be selling it (obviously you wouldnt be smoking 100 lbs) and/or bringing it across state/country boundries.

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:36 pm

EDIT:
Last edited by daesonesb on Sun May 06, 2012 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BiglawOrBust

Bronze

Post by BiglawOrBust » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:23 pm

Geetar Man wrote:Speaking of fallacies, you're making a fallacy of composition; just because something might be true of one part of something doesn't make it true about the whole.
Geetar Man wrote: Putting someone in prison for using crack/meth or whatever is a good idea because those types of people are often the people who steal, kill, and what not.
So punishing someone because they merely have a higher tendency to commit a more serious crime is not also a "fallacy of composition"?

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:00 pm

Geist13 wrote:
Veyron wrote: Ok, the idea that there are no jobs for prosecutors is one of those lies that its a good idea to believe. As BeautifulSW often points out, there are plenty of jobs for prosecutors if you are willing to live places like rural NM but lol at you if you think you're going to get a job right off the bat as an NYC prosecutor or some such. You may get a city job eventually, but not until you've put in your time in small town america.
Agreed. Although I do sincerely question how many openings there are available in rural places for kids coming right out of school. I hear about it a lot (most on TLS actually) but I don't really believe it.
They're opening up again in Illinois; I realize that's 1 state out of 50, but it's the only state whose hiring I've followed over the past 2 years. FWIW, they all (well, "all" of the 6 or 7 counties I've talked to, including Cook) say they hire primarily new grads. I don't know if that last statement lines up with statistical reality, but I really don't think the ppl I talked to were trying to game me.

... can someone really not open a "how to become a prosecutor" thread on a law school forum without it getting derailed by bizarre political hackery?

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:23 pm

oaken wrote:
CactusPuppy wrote:I'm sorry but ruining people's lives for smoking weed is not noble. USA has some of the most unjust criminal statutes in the industrialized world, and there is nothing noble about seeking the max for violation of mostly stupid and Constitutionally repugnant laws.
You are an absolute fucking moron.
QFT

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Geetar Man

Silver

Post by Geetar Man » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:23 pm

BiglawOrBust wrote:
Geetar Man wrote:Speaking of fallacies, you're making a fallacy of composition; just because something might be true of one part of something doesn't make it true about the whole.
Geetar Man wrote: Putting someone in prison for using crack/meth or whatever is a good idea because those types of people are often the people who steal, kill, and what not.
So punishing someone because they merely have a higher tendency to commit a more serious crime is not also a "fallacy of composition"?
No. They're being punished for using/selling/manufacturing drugs. (therefore ruining their lives according to cactuspuppy) Not because they have a higher tendency to commit crimes. The fact that they commit crimes more often than non-users just piggy backs the reason to enforce the drug laws.

Geetar Man

Silver

Post by Geetar Man » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:37 pm

flcath wrote:

... can someone really not open a "how to become a prosecutor" thread on a law school forum without it getting derailed by bizarre political hackery?
It's better this way.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:51 pm

Geetar Man wrote:
flcath wrote:

It's better this way.
I'm surprised biglaw threads don't get interrupted more often by Occupy types.

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:57 pm

public defender (for places that have real PD offices)...harder or easier to get than becoming a prosecutor?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:01 pm

crit_racer wrote:public defender (for places that have real PD offices)...harder or easier to get than becoming a prosecutor?
ITE, just as difficult.

CactusPuppy

New

Post by CactusPuppy » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:19 am

Geetar Man wrote:
CactusPuppy wrote:enforcing drug laws does ruin people's lives. felony possession strips individuals of many civil and political rights + social entitlements.
kalvano wrote:So all prosecutors do all day is ruin people's lives by enforcing drug laws? Got it.
CactusPuppy wrote: Yeah. That's totally what I said. You have really good reading skills.

No, you didn't say that. Speaking of fallacies, you're making a fallacy of composition; just because something might be true of one part of something doesn't make it true about the whole. You're doing this by saying that enforcing the drug laws ruins people's lives, when what I really think you mean is that enforcing pot laws can possibly ruin someones life. Pot does not equal all drug laws, buddy.

If you do in fact think that enforcing all drug laws are ruining people's lives, would you say that enforcing laws for meth, cocaine, heroin, crack, etc... are ruining people's lives? I'd say to some extent, yes, but to some extent no. Putting someone in prison for using crack/meth or whatever is a good idea because those types of people are often the people who steal, kill, and what not. But imprisoning them doesnt ruin their lives anymore than the drug itself does. I think it would be foolish to think that enforcing all drug laws ruins lives.

As someone said above, an infraction for having pot is similar to (or even less than) recieving a speeding ticket in most states.

I'm not talking about weed. I'm talking about all drugs.

I'm not fueling this fire. The poster wasn't looking to read an argument about drugs. No point to argue further as it is not constructive to anything.

As for the "occupy" comments some of you have been making. Note that my belief on this matter comes from a far right individual liberties perspective, not from the left. Calling anyone you disagree with an "occupier" is pretty abhorrent and a pathetic attempt to use heuristics and social constructions to discredit a point you are too lazy to address logically. It's especially offensive when you call a free-enterpriser an occupier. Not cool.

--

OP. Go for it if you want. Just remember rule 3(1.2)(c) from the ABA criminal justice standards: "the duty of a prosecutor is to seek justice, not merely to convict"

Geetar Man

Silver

Post by Geetar Man » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:50 am

I called you out earlier on your shit in this thread. But I have to admit, good post. TCR

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:49 am

CactusPuppy wrote:
Geetar Man wrote:
CactusPuppy wrote:enforcing drug laws does ruin people's lives. felony possession strips individuals of many civil and political rights + social entitlements.
kalvano wrote:So all prosecutors do all day is ruin people's lives by enforcing drug laws? Got it.
CactusPuppy wrote: Yeah. That's totally what I said. You have really good reading skills.

No, you didn't say that. Speaking of fallacies, you're making a fallacy of composition; just because something might be true of one part of something doesn't make it true about the whole. You're doing this by saying that enforcing the drug laws ruins people's lives, when what I really think you mean is that enforcing pot laws can possibly ruin someones life. Pot does not equal all drug laws, buddy.

If you do in fact think that enforcing all drug laws are ruining people's lives, would you say that enforcing laws for meth, cocaine, heroin, crack, etc... are ruining people's lives? I'd say to some extent, yes, but to some extent no. Putting someone in prison for using crack/meth or whatever is a good idea because those types of people are often the people who steal, kill, and what not. But imprisoning them doesnt ruin their lives anymore than the drug itself does. I think it would be foolish to think that enforcing all drug laws ruins lives.

As someone said above, an infraction for having pot is similar to (or even less than) recieving a speeding ticket in most states.

I'm not fueling this fire. The poster wasn't looking to read an argument about drugs. No point to argue further as it is not constructive to anything.

As for the "occupy" comments some of you have been making. Note that my belief on this matter comes from a far right individual liberties perspective, not from the left. Calling anyone you disagree with an "occupier" is pretty abhorrent and a pathetic attempt to use heuristics and social constructions to discredit a point you are too lazy to address logically. It's especially offensive when you call a free-enterpriser an occupier. Not cool.

--

OP. Go for it if you want. Just remember rule 3(1.2)(c) from the ABA criminal justice standards: "the duty of a prosecutor is to seek justice, not merely to convict"
The "far right" liberties perspective takes the form of allowing everyone the liberty to do whatever they please as long as it harms no one else. I'm sorry to say but legalizing crack and heroin harms quite a few more people than the user, especially those murdered and robbed in support of a relentless addiction.

I threw in the Occupy comment just because your ridiculous postss are similar to the things I hear on television all day long from an Occupy idiot. I don't need to address your comments in an especially logical way. They're pretty illogical on their own.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BiglawOrBust

Bronze

Post by BiglawOrBust » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:21 pm

Mce252 wrote: The "far right" liberties perspective takes the form of allowing everyone the liberty to do whatever they please as long as it harms no one else. I'm sorry to say but legalizing crack and heroin harms quite a few more people than the user, especially those murdered and robbed in support of a relentless addiction.

I threw in the Occupy comment just because your ridiculous postss are similar to the things I hear on television all day long from an Occupy idiot. I don't need to address your comments in an especially logical way. They're pretty illogical on their own.
Settle down there, Tea Party. There's no evidence to support the contention that robberies and murders would increase if these drugs were legalized. (Especially when quite a few lives -- and billions of dollars -- would be spared by ending the war on drugs.)
Last edited by BiglawOrBust on Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BiglawOrBust

Bronze

Post by BiglawOrBust » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:24 pm

Geetar Man wrote:
BiglawOrBust wrote:
No. They're being punished for using/selling/manufacturing drugs.
Your reasoning is circular. Obviously they're being punished for drug use, but why is that punishment justified? Because they have a higher tendency to commit certain crimes?

Geetar Man

Silver

Post by Geetar Man » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:29 pm

BiglawOrBust wrote:
Geetar Man wrote:
BiglawOrBust wrote:
No. They're being punished for using/selling/manufacturing drugs.
Your reasoning is circular. Obviously they're being punished for drug use, but why is that punishment justified? Because they have a higher tendency to commit certain crimes?
Particularly the government has motivation to prevent drug use because of public health concerns both directly and indirectly. This is with the assumption that the government's main concern is for the well-being of the public. Although, I believe that drug use laws are based on subjective principles. Drug prohibition is still a relatively new thing. People have been using them for hundreds of years. Basically, the punishment can be justified in some ways and unjustified in others.

In an ideal world, there wouldn't be any drug laws; people would be able to do whatever drugs they want and whatever they want to their bodies. However, in the world we live in, some people are affected negatively, either directly or indirectly, and that ladies and gentleman is a good reason, in my opinion, assuming society exists as it does today, for why some drug laws are justified.

As for pot, I just don't see the harm. Smoking something, i.e., burning plant matter and inhaling it, is bad for one's body. But the lethality of marijuana is so low (little?) that I think there can be more benefit to gain (economically) from legalization. The only problem I have with that is that we will be feeding the government more money when they begin to tax and regulate it. I know that I sure don't trust the government with money. Shit, we have 115 trillion dollars in unfunded liabilities. Why do I want to give the government more money?

Anyway, to get back on topic. I never said the laws are justified because the drug users have a higher tendency to commit crimes. I merely was TRYING to say that it's a GOOD IDEA (not justified) because MOST people, not all, who are involved in drugs bring more evil than good. The fact of the matter is that the people who are doing evil are really fucking it up for the people who would use drugs in their own homes and not cause any trouble, such as most pot smokers.

Idk, man. I'm not a fucking lawyer, ethicist or moralist. I just think that the hard drug (cocaine, crack, heroine, meth, etc...) laws are somewhat legit. As for marijuana laws, that's a whole 'nother ball game. I think drugs that are mostly non-lethal should be decriminalized.

VOTE FOR RON PAUL 2012!!!

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:00 pm

BiglawOrBust wrote:
Mce252 wrote: The "far right" liberties perspective takes the form of allowing everyone the liberty to do whatever they please as long as it harms no one else. I'm sorry to say but legalizing crack and heroin harms quite a few more people than the user, especially those murdered and robbed in support of a relentless addiction.

Settle down there, Tea Party. There's no evidence to support the contention that robberies and murders would increase if these drugs were legalized. (Especially when quite a few lives -- and billions of dollars -- would be spared by ending the war on drugs.)

Well murders might not increase either if murder was legalized but that doesn't mean it should be done. I was arguing from the libertarian point of view that anything which does not directly harm others should be an unobstructed freedom of the individual. Therefore, drugs that do not directly harm those other than the users should be legal under that philosophy. (I don't subscribe to this nor am I associated with the Tea Party in any way.)

The policy of complete legalization of all substances would be a complete disaster. As somsone with a history of severe drug abuse (I'm sober now), I can only imagine the effect that "just a taste" of methamphetamine from that Walgreens down the street would have on every 15 year old in the country. You think your insurance is expensive now?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

89vision

Bronze

Post by 89vision » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:37 pm

Mce252 wrote:
CactusPuppy wrote:
Geetar Man wrote:

--

The "far right" liberties perspective takes the form of allowing everyone the liberty to do whatever they please as long as it harms no one else. I'm sorry to say but legalizing crack and heroin harms quite a few more people than the user, especially those murdered and robbed in support of a relentless addiction.

I'm a bit curious as to your views on decriminalization and legalization, your statement was brief and I don't want to make any incorrect assumptions.

When OH and CA decriminalized marijuana, use did not increase in a statistically significant manner, and any slight increase was not tied to decriminalization (in the early/mid 1970s, based on a paper I read). When looking at medical marijuana, legalizing it makes is incredibly more affordable. When a nearby state legalized medicinal marijuana, the quality of marijuana in the local market in my state increased drastically (based on THC content), while the price remained the same.

Now, this is one example with one of the least addictive legal or illegal substance in the US.

Based on my experiences, the main reason why drug users are more likely to commit crimes is because they need money, not because they are violent people. Maybe this is wrong, but this is what I have seen, I am sure there are other experiences though.

If you want a more comprehensive view of drug policy and how it impacts use, look at Mexico and Portugal. For example, Portugal decriminalized all drugs, and has the lowest rate of lifetime marijuana use in the EU. Drug use declined among young people across the board when decriminalization occurred, s. I think it is interesting, but considering the cultural differences between the US and Portugal and Mexico, maybe success would not be replicated. But based on initial case studies, the idea that use would increase following decriminalization is not accurate. I would imagine cheaper prices and less users would not create any more problems than prohibition currently creates. Since no country has legalized any drug other than alcohol or nicotine, it is hard to say exactly what legalization of all substances in 2012 would entail, but decriminalization has had many positive, and sometimes unexpected, results.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article ... 46,00.html

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:46 am

arodd53 wrote:
flcath wrote:I'm surprised biglaw threads don't get interrupted more often by Occupy types.
+1. How does that not happen to biglaw threads more often?
There is a large contingent of TLSers who want biglaw and, if you read the OWS thread, you will see that many on TLS, even some of the left-leaning ones, do not identify with the occupy movement.

rndmcmx

New

Post by rndmcmx » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:49 pm

Mce252 wrote:
Do you always carry a sign that reads "I'm an idiot"? You obviously haven't visited the county jails in New York, Chicago, Atlanta, Houston, or New Orleans recently. Have you ever even looked at crime statistics?

Getting arrested for smoking weed does not ruin anyone's life in the United States. It's a class C misdemeanor in many jurisidictions and carries a penalty similar to that of a traffic violation.

You must be an occupy person.
It has been how many years since you wrote this? I doubt when you wrote your comment, you have not stepped inside a county jail either, and bet you have yet to stand in one still. You just stand on the court lobby floor, completely disregarding the horrid and putrid and dungeon-like floors under your feet where all the criminals rot in mass holding cells. Those people are temporarily awaiting for your fine words to enable more torture and rot onto their lives. You ruin many families, and the few real criminals you have punished mean nothing compared to the countless hardships and afflictions and torments you brought onto whole community-worths of citizens. Prosecuting people is a job that is necessary. However, you and I very well know that you do not carry a sign that reads 'I am an idiot.' You and your 7+ years of post-graduate intelligence more than understand the harm you cause.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:05 pm

Are you proud of this pointless necro?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bingo_Bongo

Bronze

Post by Bingo_Bongo » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:51 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Are you proud of this pointless necro?
Reviving this thread is actually timely considering Kamala Harris' would-be voting base of progressives doesn't want to support her because she was a criminal prosecutor (https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/17/opin ... stice.html; https://www.theroot.com/you-can-be-pro- ... 1832471768)

Apparently being a prosecutor is equated to being "anti-black" in today's climate.

And personally, one thing I'm sick of is this myth that there are tons of poor people sitting in our prisons who did nothing but possess a small amount of weed. Nobody goes to prison for possessing weed anymore. In California, 11357 HS made possession a mere infraction with a max fine of $100 (which is way less than most traffic violations), and that's been in existence for decades.

Yet all these college kids that know absolutely nothing about our laws think our prisons are crowded with people who were caught with a joint. So in response to their misguided beliefs, they pass ballot referendums that empty all sorts of dangerous people out onto the street and then wonder why crime rates go up.

California just recently retroactively abolished the natural and probable consequence doctrine for accomplice murder liability, so it'll be fun seeing the result of a bunch of gang members serving 20-to-life sentences for murder get released since murder could only be pinned on them through the natural and probable consequences doctrine because they all swarmed a car together as a gang and nobody witnessed exactly who fired the shot.

<end of rant>

And going back to the point of this thread: Getting a job as a prosecutor right out of law school is probably more difficult than landing a big law job simply because there are so fewer of them, and there's no way to predict who will get them. Big law is concerned about academics only (prestige of school + class rank) so it's easy to know where you fall. DA Offices hire holistically (which is exactly how literally every other industry hires), so you don't really know how you stack up just looking at numbers. They also make you give an opening or closing statement, so if you're shy or awkward, you probably won't get hired. They also tend to give real life hypo interview questions (with right and wrong answers), so if you're not already well versed in local criminal law, you might well fail that portion. Big law doesn't expect you to know anything about Corporations when they hire you as a 1L.

That being said, the doors never completely slam shut for DA hiring like they do for big law hiring. Strike out during OCI? You're pretty much screwed absent getting a prestiges clerkship right out of law school. But if you strike out during 3L DA Post-Bar hiring, just apply again after you pass the bar. If they don't hire you then, keep your eyes open and keep applying until somebody hires you.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:03 pm

Bingo_Bongo wrote:And going back to the point of this thread: Getting a job as a prosecutor right out of law school is probably more difficult than landing a big law job simply because there are so fewer of them, and there's no way to predict who will get them. Big law is concerned about academics only (prestige of school + class rank) so it's easy to know where you fall. DA Offices hire holistically (which is exactly how literally every other industry hires), so you don't really know how you stack up just looking at numbers. They also make you give an opening or closing statement, so if you're shy or awkward, you probably won't get hired. They also tend to give real life hypo interview questions (with right and wrong answers), so if you're not already well versed in local criminal law, you might well fail that portion. Big law doesn't expect you to know anything about Corporations when they hire you as a 1L.
This is a much more sensible hiring system than for biglaw.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:14 pm

rndmcmx wrote:
Mce252 wrote:
Do you always carry a sign that reads "I'm an idiot"? You obviously haven't visited the county jails in New York, Chicago, Atlanta, Houston, or New Orleans recently. Have you ever even looked at crime statistics?

Getting arrested for smoking weed does not ruin anyone's life in the United States. It's a class C misdemeanor in many jurisidictions and carries a penalty similar to that of a traffic violation.

It has been how many years since you wrote this? I doubt when you wrote your comment, you have not stepped inside a county jail either, and bet you have yet to stand in one still. You just stand on the court lobby floor, completely disregarding the horrid and putrid and dungeon-like floors under your feet where all the criminals rot in mass holding cells. Those people are temporarily awaiting for your fine words to enable more torture and rot onto their lives. You ruin many families, and the few real criminals you have punished mean nothing compared to the countless hardships and afflictions and torments you brought onto whole community-worths of citizens. Prosecuting people is a job that is necessary. However, you and I very well know that you do not carry a sign that reads 'I am an idiot.' You and your 7+ years of post-graduate intelligence more than understand the harm you cause.
You’re right. The domestic batterers should continue to be free to abuse those who are even more disempowered and disenphransized than they are, without consequence. The drunk drivers should be free to continue to drink and drive, thereby risking harm to everybody around them. The sexual deviants who get drunk and grab every pretty girl they can, late at night while the girls are going home from work, should continue to be free to do so absent threat of consequence.

It’s too bad that you are not tzar of the world, you absolute and unbelievable moron.

Prosecution isn’t perfect anywhere, but to harbor such ridiculously broad animosity towards those who do a job—that is so exceedingly and obviously objectively important in order to literally facilitate society as we know it—is pathetically stupid.

rndmcmx

New

Post by rndmcmx » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:05 am

objctnyrhnr wrote:
rndmcmx wrote:
Mce252 wrote:

You’re right. The domestic batterers should continue to be free to abuse those who are even more disempowered and disenphransized than they are, without consequence. The drunk drivers should be free to continue to drink and drive, thereby risking harm to everybody around them. The sexual deviants who get drunk and grab every pretty girl they can, late at night while the girls are going home from work, should continue to be free to do so absent threat of consequence.

It’s too bad that you are not tzar of the world, you absolute and unbelievable moron.

Prosecution isn’t perfect anywhere, but to harbor such ridiculously broad animosity towards those who do a job—that is so exceedingly and obviously objectively important in order to literally facilitate society as we know it—is pathetically stupid.
You speak of the few real criminals that should be prosecuted. I speak of the millions (let me repeat: MILLIONS: 1,000 times 1,000 times another magnitude) of people and their families you damage. Every father, young adult, and mother that stands before a District Attorney and her / his judge face a punishment that will ruin their life, their family's life, and another future. Again, this is the fate of millions. I assume we speak on the same intelligence here. No one here is a moron. Millions of people. You claim real sex offenders, dead-beat dads, drunk murderers. Those are thousands. The families of the people you prosecute are millions. Can you do the ratio of people relieved versus people damaged? Yes. Millions. not thousands. Millions. Don't sit behind the backing of your whole court staff and act like you do not hurt people. Do not sit behind the criminal court system and call yourself only a just and small hero 'doing their job.' You are a small hero among thousands. You are disgusting to millions. You and your people save thousands of people from future harm, but you and your people hurt millions in the process.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”