Veterans Thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
usn26

Silver

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby usn26 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:16 pm

AJordan wrote:I echo MT Cicero. I'm still very willing to do a Skype session for free with any Vet who has completed the free diagnostic June 2007 LSAT and has questions about how to proceed from there. I'm no longer going to post here, though. I will be moving along elsewhere with MT Cicero. If you need to contact me, please pm me there as that's apparently no longer an option here.

This goes for me as well.

Deltagirl1913

New

Postby Deltagirl1913 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:42 pm

ddevich wrote:
Deltagirl1913 wrote:Checking In, Chaos 6 on the net! Active Duty, African American, Female, Army Lieutenant Colonel, due to retire this summer after 22 years of service. Horrible undergrad grades (too much partying and sorority life), but two Masters degrees with 4.0 GPAs. Four full deployments to Afghanistan, Kuwait and Iraq. Mediocre LSAT but I have GI Bill/Yellow Ribbon and retirement pay so I don't need scholly money. My softs are amazing and my letters of recommendations legendary, I am what bloggers would call a Unicorn. I've been admitted to a handful of tier four schools but my first choice is Syracuse, Go Orange or Go Home!

Welcome! I think with a good application you should have a decent shot at Syracuse; they are incredibly veteran friendly. Case in point: I went to Syracuse University through the Military Motion Media Program in 2015-2016. It was like a year-long vacation while still being on active duty. I was very lucky.

Syracuse has a robust Student Veteran Organization. They may be able to advocate for your admission. They will also provide you with a solid idea of what your student life would be like at Syracuse. Good luck to you!

Got my acceptance to SUCOL today! Couldnt be more excited! Now off to house hunt. :mrgreen:

usn26

Silver

Postby usn26 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:29 am

Deltagirl1913 wrote:Got my acceptance to SUCOL today! Couldnt be more excited! Now off to house hunt. :mrgreen:

Congrats! SU is a great place for vets. Enjoy the lake-effect!

huddy59

New

Postby huddy59 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:27 pm

Cicero,
can you please send me the spreadsheet you have built? The link provided does not work

huddy59

New

Postby huddy59 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:33 pm

MT Cicero wrote:Welcome to the TLS Veterans Thread!

First off, here is the spreadsheet I update annually, which shows how much the Post 9/11 + Yellow Ribbon covers at the top ~100 law schools (all public are now free for 100%-eligible Post-9/11 vets):

2017-18 GI Bill + Yellow Ribbon

Additionally:

1. Thanks for all your service.
2. Keep it civil and chill. No shitty inter-branch rivalry chat, but cheekiness and self-deprecation are always welcome!
3. Post 9/11 (if you're at 100%) covers the entire cost of public grad schools now.

Successful military fee waiver requests for the 2017-18 cycle
Berkeley
Colorado
Denver
GULC
Hawaii
NYU
Penn
UCLA
Vandy

Fee waivers for anyone this cycle: ASU, Baylor, George Mason, GW, Liberty

Schools that have waived application fees for veterans in the past (not all inclusive):
Lewis and Clark
ASU
Buffalo
Cincinnati
Colorado
Denver
UCONN
FIU
Hawaii
Notre Dame
Tulane
Richmond
Widener
William and Mary
UVA
NYU
Chicago
Georgetown
University of Washington
Berkeley
George Washington
Emory
Vanderbilt
Wyoming
Montana
Penn State
UMASS

No Waiver:
Columbia
Michigan
Cornell
Harvard
Yale
Stanford
Duke

*Requested shoutout to http://www.service2school.org, which is a nonprofit by vets for vets that specializes in getting fellow vets into law school, and hopefully helping them "punch above their weight" from a pure numbers standpoint. They help with test prep, personal statement, resumes, interview prep, etc (pretty much everything). And they don't charge anything.

Please send me the spreadsheet you had posted. it doesn't work anymore huddy59@yahoo.com

MT Cicero

Silver

Postby MT Cicero » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:33 pm

Don't know what happened to that link, and now I can't go back in and alter it. You can try this link to the spreadsheet and see if it works.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

LuckyDevilCat

New

Postby LuckyDevilCat » Wed May 02, 2018 2:11 pm

Hi all. Posting here as well as the Veterans C/O 2021 Thread. In at Georgetown yesterday via Admitted Students Website. 3.33/168. ~12 years Air Force. Really excited! If there are any other veterans going to Georgetown this fall, especially the part-time program, it would be great to meet you.

Also, SOCO! (you know who you are)...email me at theluckydevilcat@gmail.com. You'll remember me from law school discussions ~5-6 years ago.

happygogo

New

Postby happygogo » Tue May 15, 2018 11:24 am

Hello,

I served in the military for only 2 years, unfortunately. Although honorably discharged, I wasn't able to fulfill my full contract because I was medically retired.

Will I have to explain in an attachment with my resume why I only served for 2 years? Will they have a hunch of why I only served for 2 years (since typical first term contracts last 3-4 years)? I don't want to mention my disability as much as possible in case of any biases or discrimination (which should not happen anyways, I would assume). I am looking into applying to the top law schools, so I need to increase any boosters I may have and decrease any negatives I may have.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum?