Veterans Thread Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
KPUSN07

Bronze

Re: Veterans Thread

Post by KPUSN07 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:24 pm

Wipfelder wrote:
KPUSN07 wrote:Can healthcare through the school be covered through Post 9/11 GI Bill (public or private) - as part of the tuition payment? For spouse too?
I got health care for myself covered, but not for spouse. (Through YR, specifically)
Is it possible to include spouse / family within the tuition or no? Seems like a stretch, but doesn't hurt to ask.

dannyswo

Gold

Post by dannyswo » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:17 am

Is there any need to do paperwork for the GI Bill outside of just going through the school? I'm assuming that they will have everything ready to go and I just show up at the financial aid office and sign something, but I'm also interested in kicking off that housing stipend soonest.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:21 am

dannyswo wrote:Is there any need to do paperwork for the GI Bill outside of just going through the school? I'm assuming that they will have everything ready to go and I just show up at the financial aid office and sign something, but I'm also interested in kicking off that housing stipend soonest.
Make sure the school sends the verification of enrollment to the VA and that the VA has the right direct deposit. You should be able to check through ebenefits once it's active. I had to stay on top of my school and the VA.

When I was getting set up I called the VA and the school a bunch. I also got the housing stipend really soon after class started. It pays to be proactive.

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:39 am

Dcc617 wrote:
dannyswo wrote:Is there any need to do paperwork for the GI Bill outside of just going through the school? I'm assuming that they will have everything ready to go and I just show up at the financial aid office and sign something, but I'm also interested in kicking off that housing stipend soonest.
Make sure the school sends the verification of enrollment to the VA and that the VA has the right direct deposit. You should be able to check through ebenefits once it's active. I had to stay on top of my school and the VA.

When I was getting set up I called the VA and the school a bunch. I also got the housing stipend really soon after class started. It pays to be proactive.
This. My school was on it's game, but the VA was all jacked up. Because I basically "triple verified", I was probably the only person to get their payment on time.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:41 am

So, my official separation date is 6 Sept 2017 (have an active-duty service commitment that runs until then--thanks pilot training!)

My final out and terminal leave is going to be/start sometime early-to-mid July, so no issues starting classes on time. But does anyone know how the GI Bill's housing allowance works with a mid-semester change of duty status? I assume AD BAH will be paid for August and prorated for Sept. But, does GI Bill BAH kick in automatically and prorate starting on 7 September or am I shit outta luck and going to be without a housing allowance for the rest of 1L Fall and only start collecting in Jan 2018?

Thanks for the info guys.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:07 am

ponderingmeerkat wrote:So, my official separation date is 6 Sept 2017 (have an active-duty service commitment that runs until then--thanks pilot training!)

My final out and terminal leave is going to be/start sometime early-to-mid July, so no issues starting classes on time. But does anyone know how the GI Bill's housing allowance works with a mid-semester change of duty status? I assume AD BAH will be paid for August and prorated for Sept. But, does GI Bill BAH kick in automatically and prorate starting on 7 September or am I shit outta luck and going to be without a housing allowance for the rest of 1L Fall and only start collecting in Jan 2018?

One of my classmates was in a similar situation and BAH started once he was officially separated. Well, I should say that he got backpaid to then, because it took him forever to actually get it worked out. I dont think he was super on it though.

Also, make sure you figure out health insurance. Mine is through the GI bill because it's a mandatory fee, but yours may be a little confusing so make sure to talk to the school.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:16 am

Dcc617 wrote:
ponderingmeerkat wrote:So, my official separation date is 6 Sept 2017 (have an active-duty service commitment that runs until then--thanks pilot training!)

One of my classmates was in a similar situation and BAH started once he was officially separated. Well, I should say that he got backpaid to then, because it took him forever to actually get it worked out. I dont think he was super on it though.

Also, make sure you figure out health insurance. Mine is through the GI bill because it's a mandatory fee, but yours may be a little confusing so make sure to talk to the school.
Good info man...thanks.

wingnut

New

Post by wingnut » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:06 pm

Hello All,
I've been a TLS lurker for a while now. I'm getting toward the end of my military career and have become interested in Law and Urban Planning as a second career.

My question is, does anyone know if the Post 9/11 GI bill will cover 4 years of Law School/ Urban planning dual degree? Or, would it cover 3 years of Law School with the additional year requiring a scholarship?

Thanks in advance!
v/r
Wingnut

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:11 pm

wingnut wrote:Hello All,
I've been a TLS lurker for a while now. I'm getting toward the end of my military career and have become interested in Law and Urban Planning as a second career.

My question is, does anyone know if the Post 9/11 GI bill will cover 4 years of Law School/ Urban planning dual degree? Or, would it cover 3 years of Law School with the additional year requiring a scholarship?

Thanks in advance!
v/r
Wingnut
Its a "per diem" entitlement that only pays you if you are in school that day. So, it COULD cover 4 years, depending on how many days you were actually enrolled as a student. You just gotta do the math and plan accordingly.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

laqueredup

Bronze

Post by laqueredup » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:21 pm

If the school has YRP and a limited number of slots call them to see what they need to make sure you get one soonest. Ideally you won't be going to one that limits YRP, but there are a few.

laqueredup

Bronze

Post by laqueredup » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:25 pm

Has anyone noticed obvious discrepancies between school COL estimates and BAHx9 months? it seems to line up ok most places I've looked at except for that UVA, Duke, and Penn COL come out a good bit higher than BAH, and the NYC and Boston Schools come out well below BAH. Anyone have actual data to confirm/deniy these estimates or theories as to the difference? Obviously living expenses are highly dependent on how you are living, but I figured the schools would use a similar standard for calculating them.

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:03 pm

laqueredup wrote:Obviously living expenses are highly dependent on how you are living, but I figured the schools would use a similar standard for calculating them.
IIRC schools are basically left to make up this number on their own - there's no uniform system of calculation. That's why Penn and Drexel (literally two blocks from each other) have a $1k difference in room/board costs.

http://drexel.edu/law/admissions/Costs-of-Attendance/
https://www.law.upenn.edu/admissions/fi ... pplicants/

As for the regional variation, I assume geographically clustered schools will end up in a close range b/c otherwise ED will come calling, but I don't have a great answer beyond ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

navylawhopeful

New

Post by navylawhopeful » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:51 pm

Perhaps this is an obscure question, I commissioned through ROTC but did not receive any scholarship. From what I read, all my active duty time should be eligible for the 9/11 GI Bill; has anyone who was a non-scholarship ROTC cadet/midshipmen gone through the process of certifying for the GI Bill? All the help throughout this thread has been greatly appreciated!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

laqueredup

Bronze

Post by laqueredup » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:27 pm

navylawhopeful wrote:Perhaps this is an obscure question, I commissioned through ROTC but did not receive any scholarship. From what I read, all my active duty time should be eligible for the 9/11 GI Bill; has anyone who was a non-scholarship ROTC cadet/midshipmen gone through the process of certifying for the GI Bill? All the help throughout this thread has been greatly appreciated!
I don't have any evidence. I know you are right in theory. But I'm sure you are like me and have learned not to trust big Navy over the years. My biggest fear is the VA will decide I'm ineligible because of some training or school I did once I've already resigned and accepted a Law School offer.

Congrats on H and Y BTW! Tell which ever one you turn down that one of us will take your spot!!
Last edited by laqueredup on Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

m052310

New

Post by m052310 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:29 pm

laqueredup wrote:
navylawhopeful wrote:Perhaps this is an obscure question, I commissioned through ROTC but did not receive any scholarship. From what I read, all my active duty time should be eligible for the 9/11 GI Bill; has anyone who was a non-scholarship ROTC cadet/midshipmen gone through the process of certifying for the GI Bill? All the help throughout this thread has been greatly appreciated!
I don't have any evidence. I know you are right in theory. But I'm sure you are like me and have learned not to trust big Navy over the years. My biggest fear is the VA will decide I'm ineligible because of some training or school I did once I've already resigned and accepted a Law School offer.

Congrats on H and Y BTW! Tell which ever one you turn down that I'll take your spot!
Yeah, the only thing trusting the Navy gets you is a story about how you got screwed out of something. That said, you can get on e benefits and get a certificate of eligibility any time so you can know sooner than later what the VA thinks you qualify for. I think they say it takes about a month. Mine was a little quicker but in the ball park. Agreed OP *should* be fine.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:57 pm

It's exactly the same, as long as you did at least 3 years active duty.

Source: I was a non-scholarship ROTC cadet who's now receiving 100% GI bill benefits

navylawhopeful

New

Post by navylawhopeful » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:56 pm

Dcc617 wrote:
It's exactly the same, as long as you did at least 3 years active duty.

Source: I was a non-scholarship ROTC cadet who's now receiving 100% GI bill benefits
Awesome, this was exactly what I was looking for--much appreciated!! I hate to say I don't trust the VA...but it's been hard to make a decision on whether to take a scholarship or not given I think I should be eligible for the GI Bill.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:27 am

AJordan wrote:The issue really isn't as simple as get in/get out. With the Army focusing so much on "up or out" and my MOS promoting ~10% of 6s this year it looks bleak for those of us not getting picked up. I do enjoy my job, but there is also a chance I'll get a stiff handshake, a check, and a "Thank you for your service" around year 15. To avoid that I would need to change jobs, essentially recruiter or nothing, or get out. I think I'm going to sit the June LSAT and see what happens. If I can get 168+ I'll put more thought into it. If I can't do that it's probably moot.

Thanks a ton for all the advice. I actually feel encouraged.
Just wanted to drop by and say thanks to everyone and share my joy. Because of the encouragement I got here I studied my ass off and hit mid 170s. It can be done on active duty. If anybody joining this thread wants study help shoot me a pm. I owe it back.
Last edited by AJordan on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:14 am

AJordan wrote:
AJordan wrote:The issue really isn't as simple as get in/get out. With the Army focusing so much on "up or out" and my MOS promoting ~10% of 6s this year it looks bleak for those of us not getting picked up. I do enjoy my job, but there is also a chance I'll get a stiff handshake, a check, and a "Thank you for your service" around year 15. To avoid that I would need to change jobs, essentially recruiter or nothing, or get out. I think I'm going to sit the June LSAT and see what happens. If I can get 168+ I'll put more thought into it. If I can't do that it's probably moot.

Thanks a ton for all the advice. I actually feel encouraged.
Just wanted to drop by and say thanks to everyone and share my joy. Because of the encouragement I got here I studied my ass off and hit mid 170s. It can be done on active duty. If anybody joining this thread wants study help shoot me a pm. I owe it back.
Fuck yeah, congrats.

hawkeyelaw

New

Post by hawkeyelaw » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:54 pm

Hey warriors. Same sentiments as above; thanks to this thread, and Wipfelder specifically, I did a retake in December (which involved 3+ full length PTs a week from about two days after September's grey day, which was aided by copious amounts of Basil Hayden, until the real thing in December). Bumped from a 164 into the 170s and just got into GULC on Tuesday with a sub 3.0 GPA. Thanks again for the camaraderie and the no-BS advice.

I am not sure what advice I can give on the test that cant be found on here, beyond just get in there and grind. If anyone needs help on applications, essays, or your PS, drop me a PM.

laqueredup

Bronze

Post by laqueredup » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:06 pm

Congrats! Sub 3.0 is a tough place to be, but when it works out it feels kind of nice!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:14 pm

hawkeyelaw wrote:Hey warriors. Same sentiments as above; thanks to this thread, and Wipfelder specifically, I did a retake in December (which involved 3+ full length PTs a week from about two days after September's grey day, which was aided by copious amounts of Basil Hayden, until the real thing in December). Bumped from a 164 into the 170s and just got into GULC on Tuesday with a sub 3.0 GPA. Thanks again for the camaraderie and the no-BS advice.

I am not sure what advice I can give on the test that cant be found on here, beyond just get in there and grind. If anyone needs help on applications, essays, or your PS, drop me a PM.
Hell ya!

That kind of dedication and focus will do you well in LS too. Good things will keep rolling your way.

calpolisci2016

Bronze

Post by calpolisci2016 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:11 pm

Hi everyone,

I have about 5.5 months left of the post 9/11 (I used most of it on my bachelor's) and I've got a question about coverage. I'm talking to my potential law school's veteran services guy and he told me that this remaining amount may or may not cover my tuition for the full academic year (assuming a semester is 4 months long). Rather, the VA will most likely pro-rate my second semester. But he also said they sometimes cover the full year. Does anyone know what factors result in full semester coverage despite not having enough time on the books? Is it political/budgetary? The cut of your jib?

Any insight would be appreciated, rah.

CenterFringe

Bronze

Post by CenterFringe » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:22 pm

calpolisci2016 wrote:Hi everyone,

I have about 5.5 months left of the post 9/11 (I used most of it on my bachelor's) and I've got a question about coverage. I'm talking to my potential law school's veteran services guy and he told me that this remaining amount may or may not cover my tuition for the full academic year (assuming a semester is 4 months long). Rather, the VA will most likely pro-rate my second semester. But he also said they sometimes cover the full year. Does anyone know what factors result in full semester coverage despite not having enough time on the books? Is it political/budgetary? The cut of your jib?

I asked this exact question during my transistion class last week. I was told that if you have one day left, they will pay for the entire semester, including BAH. Personally, I find the BAH portion unlikely, but would expect full tuition to be paid.

You should call the education assistance hotline and ask though, although no matter what they say, I guess there's no way to know for sure until you actually attempt to use it and see what happens.

calpolisci2016

Bronze

Post by calpolisci2016 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:34 pm

CenterFringe wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:Hi everyone,

I asked this exact question during my transistion class last week. I was told that if you have one day left, they will pay for the entire semester, including BAH. Personally, I find the BAH portion unlikely, but would expect full tuition to be paid.

You should call the education assistance hotline and ask though, although no matter what they say, I guess there's no way to know for sure until you actually attempt to use it and see what happens.
The asymmetry of information is troubling but not that surprising given the bureaucratic nature. You're probably right in that the best answer is to just wait and see what actually happens. However, I was warned by my law school's veterans guy that if the VA doesn't pro-rate, there is a chance I will be asked to repay at a later time in a lump sum. That will not be a fun time, either.

Nevertheless I'm grateful for whatever I'll get but the downside of this ambiguity is not being able to plan my finances properly.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”