Veterans Thread Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BNA

Bronze

Re: Veterans Thread

Post by BNA » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:34 am

MichiganHoosier wrote:Hey guys!

Just got back from Afghanistan so I'm jumping into LSAT prep. I'm shooting for the December 2017 test. The earliest I feel I would apply is fall 2019 however. I just figured I would get one in while I can. My contract is up in may 2018, but my wife is in optometry school until spring 2020. So I see no reason in getting out before then due to financial reasons. Supppsedy we're deploying to the Middle East again in winter/spring of 2018, but who knows nowadays. That's another reason I'd like to knock it out in December, then maybe take the February and June 2018 tests once i get back.

I just did a diagnostic....and it was pretty bad. Timing wasn't a problem as I finished most sections with 3-6 minutes to spare. I crushed one LR section with 21/25 and then bombed another with 12/25. I scored 9/23 on LG and 20/27 on RC. I have all the power score books so I'm just looking for a starting point as it is somewhat overwhelming. Do I start with LG and do those until I master them or do I do that with LR? Or both? Is a tutor worth it? I'm heading to RSLC in a month, but aside from that I'm coming off the line and moving into the S2 position, so I should have a lot more time.

My LSAC GPA is a 3.41 from a Big 10 school. I'd love to go to a T14 like everyone else, but definitely need to get my LSAT up. Thanks in advance for any help, gentlemen.
The bibles, 7sage videos, and other online sources will teach you systems as well as any tutor. I worked with a tutor for a few weeks, but all it did was confuse the principles I'd learned at home. On the other hand, someone with lots of LSAT experience will be able to give you valuable information on how to actually take the test (i.g. Priority questions, timing, and recognition); you may be able to find that online as well.

You've given yourself plenty of time, which is the most important thing. I found that staying motivated through a long period of studying, which is critical, was helped by hitting milestones and getting excited about reaching goals. That said, do what is comfortable. Don't worry about which sections to study for now, just get used to identifying the questions and solidify the LG methodology in the bibles. You can start to get serious about individual sections once you're able to recognize deficiencies in each and distribute time accordingly. Another important point is to get your timing down. You shouldn't be left with much, if any, after your answer sheet is full. I suggest using the old standardized test method of saving the difficult problems for last. Good luck and stay safe.

dannyswo

Gold

Post by dannyswo » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:24 pm

150 more days left...

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:58 pm

dannyswo wrote:150 more days left...
Congrats.

I loved the feeling of making it to double digit midget, although not quite as much as the feeling of getting out.

biglaw21

New

Post by biglaw21 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:20 pm

Getting close....I'm jealous!

laqueredup

Bronze

Post by laqueredup » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:42 pm

Congrats!
Last edited by laqueredup on Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CenterFringe

Bronze

Post by CenterFringe » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:59 pm

laqueredup wrote:
Congrats!
My letter is in.... hopefully I'll get confirmation sometime soon, otherwise I might be facing the defer/reapply question.
I'm coming up on this same problem. EAS is technically 05 Oct. Thought I was going to be able to go on terminal in August, but now I'm not so sure. Anyone have some advice on how to handle this? All in all, it's kind of a bad situation timing wise.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:36 pm

CenterFringe wrote:
laqueredup wrote:
Congrats!
My letter is in.... hopefully I'll get confirmation sometime soon, otherwise I might be facing the defer/reapply question.
I'm coming up on this same problem. EAS is technically 05 Oct. Thought I was going to be able to go on terminal in August, but now I'm not so sure. Anyone have some advice on how to handle this? All in all, it's kind of a bad situation timing wise.
I think your O6 approves terminal leave, but HRC confirms separation date and cuts orders after the leave form is signed. Like, part of your packet to HRC is the terminal leave form. (This is army).

CenterFringe

Bronze

Post by CenterFringe » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:42 pm

Dcc617 wrote:
CenterFringe wrote:
laqueredup wrote:
Congrats!
I think your O6 approves terminal leave, but HRC confirms separation date and cuts orders after the leave form is signed. Like, part of your packet to HRC is the terminal leave form. (This is army).
Yeah, it's the O-6 that approves it, and unfortunately ours has been consistently denying terminal leave. I guess my bigger question was toward the law school. Any idea when I would need to defer? Any general advice on deferring?

DrSpaceman

Bronze

Post by DrSpaceman » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:55 pm

CenterFringe wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:
CenterFringe wrote:
laqueredup wrote:
Congrats!
Yeah, it's the O-6 that approves it, and unfortunately ours has been consistently denying terminal leave. I guess my bigger question was toward the law school. Any idea when I would need to defer? Any general advice on deferring?
Just call the admissions office and ask when is the latest date you can defer. I would be floored if they pushed back in any way.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dannyswo

Gold

Post by dannyswo » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:33 am

My advice is to not accept a refusal to your terminal leave. Leave is compensation for doing your job, refusing it is like refusing to pay you. Keep taking your request up the chain of command. There's no reason any branch of the service can't spare you two months before your end of service. I don't know what the army equivalent is, but I would request mast and formally discuss this with the first flag officer in my chain of command if the O-6 level didn't work. I'd do it way early, like now. a) You've got nothing to lose; b) you have everything to gain.

Do the research for the admin process, consult a JAG if you need to, and be totally polite about it. Hell, every Admiral and General has spoken about taking care of the troops, quote the CJCS or the flag him/herself if you can find their words. Point out the operational requirement doesn't exist for you to remain, and be familliar with the policies of your branch. Read all the instructions. Present your case. And do it early.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:39 am

dannyswo wrote:My advice is to not accept a refusal to your terminal leave. Leave is compensation for doing your job, refusing it is like refusing to pay you. Keep taking your request up the chain of command. There's no reason any branch of the service can't spare you two months before your end of service. I don't know what the army equivalent is, but I would request mast and formally discuss this with the first flag officer in my chain of command if the O-6 level didn't work. I'd do it way early, like now. a) You've got nothing to lose; b) you have everything to gain.

Do the research for the admin process, consult a JAG if you need to, and be totally polite about it. Hell, every Admiral and General has spoken about taking care of the troops, quote the CJCS or the flag him/herself if you can find their words. Point out the operational requirement doesn't exist for you to remain, and be familliar with the policies of your branch. Read all the instructions. Present your case. And do it early.
Yeah, not permitting terminal leave is total bullshit. We used to only deny it for bad soldiers who couldn't be trusted to leave and not fuck up. There is no reason not to permit it.

I'd also put on the leave form that you're requesting it so that you can go to law school on time (and include your acceptance letter) in the packet. That's what I did.

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:53 am

Hi all,

I have two quick questions if anyone can help.

1. When I logged on to TLS the other day there as a banner popup for Syracuse Law veterans page. Has anyone else seen this? I can't get it to repopulate but would love a snapshot picture of it, or the website with it, of possible.

EDIT: I got the banner

2. Is there a law school who has a particularly helpful website for veterans? I'm trying to help a school get more robust in that important area.

Many many thanks if anyone can help! I

Mike

hydrohect

New

Post by hydrohect » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:58 am

MikeSpivey wrote:Is there a law school who has a particularly helpful website for veterans?
Not a great response, but a response nonetheless:
I haven't personally come across any school specific sites that I would consider especially outstanding. Notre Dame's general veteran's affairs page has some good links and U Mich's general veteran's affairs page is pretty. Also, you are probably already aware, but Service2Schools has a ton of great information that I thought was helpful.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:17 pm

patrickkpaul wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:Is there a law school who has a particularly helpful website for veterans?
I haven't personally come across any school specific sites that I would consider especially outstanding. Notre Dame's general veteran's affairs page has some good links and U Mich's general veteran's affairs page is pretty. Also, you are probably already aware, but Service2Schools has a ton of great information that I thought was helpful.
Thanks! I like the UM page!

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:44 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
patrickkpaul wrote:
I'd highly recommend reaching out the the operations people at Service2School.

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:13 pm

Wipfelder wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
patrickkpaul wrote:
I'd highly recommend reaching out the the operations people at Service2School.
^

lawschoolvet

New

Post by lawschoolvet » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:54 am

2. Is there a law school who has a particularly helpful website for veterans? I'm trying to help a school get more robust in that important area.

http://www.pennlawvets.weebly.com - pretty good resources on here I found

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

laqueredup

Bronze

Post by laqueredup » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:04 pm

MikeSpivey wrote: .
lawschoolvet wrote:2. Is there a law school who has a particularly helpful website for veterans? I'm trying to help a school get more robust in that important area.

http://www.pennlawvets.weebly.com - pretty good resources on here I found
Mike, thanks for all the advice you post in these forums! I'll second the Penn site, and say that Penn without a doubt has done the best job of any school in reaching out to me as a veteran. The Veteran's Day visit they organized this year was fantastic, and they truly seem to value the contributions of their Penn Law and Wharton student vets.

secretsquirrel

New

Post by secretsquirrel » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:03 pm

Hoping someone here can help me out i this. I have 7 years enlisted experience in the ARNG and just commissioned through state OCS a few months ago in August. I go to BOLOC in about 2 weeks and will start law school in the fall. I want to go to CU-Boulder since ultimately that is where I want to live and work, but would have to fly back once a month for drill to MN. I don't want to do an IST to CO until after law school because honestly the MN ed benefits are phenomenal and it would be crazy to give those up (They'l give 36k a year for tuition), and I plan on staying in the guard until I hit retirement or am forced out. I'm wondering how feasible people think it would be to fly back for drill once a month while in law school (most of the drills are just sat/sun) since plane tickets are dirt cheap or if I should just see if my unit would allow me to drill quarterly or something like that. I've been accepted to MN and IA as well so far, but I really want to live and work in CO, and from what I hear with the regional schools wherever you go to school is where you should expect to live and work. Any help at all is extremely appreciated in trying to analyze this situation and figure out a COA to take.

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:02 pm

There's someone else in this thread doing exactly that who attends, I believe HLS? Scroll back, you'll find it. Shoot him a pm.

secretsquirrel

New

Post by secretsquirrel » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:20 pm

AJordan wrote:There's someone else in this thread doing exactly that who attends, I believe HLS? Scroll back, you'll find it. Shoot him a pm.

Come to think of it, I think he was actually in my unit a few years back haha.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:34 pm

Can healthcare through the school be covered through Post 9/11 GI Bill (public or private) - as part of the tuition payment? For spouse too?

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:45 pm

KPUSN07 wrote:Can healthcare through the school be covered through Post 9/11 GI Bill (public or private) - as part of the tuition payment? For spouse too?
I got health care for myself covered, but not for spouse. (Through YR, specifically)

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:57 pm

KPUSN07 wrote:Can healthcare through the school be covered through Post 9/11 GI Bill (public or private) - as part of the tuition payment? For spouse too?
I know mine is covered because it's a mandatory fee. I don't know if it's through yellow ribbon or what. I'll check. Are you 100% eligible?

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:23 pm

Dcc617 wrote:
I know mine is covered because it's a mandatory fee. I don't know if it's through yellow ribbon or what. I'll check. Are you 100% eligible?
Yes 100% covered...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”