Veterans Thread Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dannyswo

Gold

Re: Veterans Thread

Post by dannyswo » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:25 am

hawkeyelaw wrote:Any Vets at Iowa?
Aw, I was thinking you were an E-2 guy. :lol:

dannyswo

Gold

Post by dannyswo » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:27 am

One more paycheck to go. Getting the GI Bill Eligibility certificate was a pain in the ass, but I finally got on the right website and got it through ebenefits. I put in applications on 3 different websites I think. Confusing as hell.

laqueredup

Bronze

Post by laqueredup » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:27 am

Whelp, resignation denied, no more paying back grad school in this retention environment. Throwing some law school seats back in the pot, hopefully they decide to fill them with more vets off the waitlists! Maybe see you guys in a couple years!

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:34 am

laqueredup wrote:Whelp, resignation denied, no more paying back grad school in this retention environment. Throwing some law school seats back in the pot, hopefully they decide to fill them with more vets off the waitlists! Maybe see you guys in a couple years!
Um, what?

laqueredup

Bronze

Post by laqueredup » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:45 am

Wipfelder wrote:
laqueredup wrote:Whelp, resignation denied, no more paying back grad school in this retention environment. Throwing some law school seats back in the pot, hopefully they decide to fill them with more vets off the waitlists! Maybe see you guys in a couple years!
Um, what?
Historically in the online grad school I did off duty , you had a 3 year obliserve, but could pay back the cost instead of you decided to resign before it was up. Apparently that was always at the discretion of the personnel bureau, and with the airlines hiring, they are now digging their claws in as hard as possible. So " no thanks, keep your 10k and take another set of orders!". Of course it took them a whole 11 months from submitting my resignation to let me know this... At least my lsat will still be good... Be careful letting Uncle Sam pay for things fellows.
Last edited by laqueredup on Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:47 am

laqueredup wrote:
Wipfelder wrote:
Um, what?
Historically in the online grad school I did off duty , you had a 3 year obliserve, but could pay back the cost instead of you decided to resign before it was up. Apparently that was always at the discretion of the personnel bureau, and with the airlines hiring, they are now digging their claws in as hard as possible. So " no thanks, keep your 10k and take another set of orders!"
So are you going to defer, or sit out the cycle and re-apply in a year or two?

calpolisci2016

Bronze

Post by calpolisci2016 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:47 am

dannyswo wrote:One more paycheck to go. Getting the GI Bill Eligibility certificate was a pain in the ass, but I finally got on the right website and got it through ebenefits. I put in applications on 3 different websites I think. Confusing as hell.
Hey how did you do this?

laqueredup

Bronze

Post by laqueredup » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:57 am

Wipfelder wrote: .
I thought of deferring but with my SO's career its hard to look 2 to 5 years ahead and lock ourselves into one city this far out. I'll be withdrawing and reapply for c/o 2022

hawkeyelaw

New

Post by hawkeyelaw » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:36 pm

dannyswo wrote:
hawkeyelaw wrote:Any Vets at Iowa?
Aw, I was thinking you were an E-2 guy. :lol:
I spend most of my days wandering around in the bushes looking up at airplanes. Or at least I dream of doing that, I mostly sit at a desk and red pen LOIs.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dannyswo

Gold

Post by dannyswo » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:44 pm

calpolisci2016 wrote:
dannyswo wrote:One more paycheck to go. Getting the GI Bill Eligibility certificate was a pain in the ass, but I finally got on the right website and got it through ebenefits. I put in applications on 3 different websites I think. Confusing as hell.
Hey how did you do this?
https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/homepage

Go here.
Left side of page under Apply, select education benefits. It's about 10 minutes to fill out the form. Takes a couple of weeks and they will mail it to you. You take a copy to your school (I scanned and emailed mine).

dannyswo

Gold

Post by dannyswo » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:47 pm

The Education Hotline magic number I was given at TAPS from the VA rep was: (918) 781-5678

I didn't have to use it, but that's what the VA rep said to call to sort out everything.

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:48 pm

dannyswo wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:
Hey how did you do this?
https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/homepage

Go here.
Left side of page under Apply, select education benefits. It's about 10 minutes to fill out the form. Takes a couple of weeks and they will mail it to you. You take a copy to your school (I scanned and emailed mine).
Damn. That was some Golden State level action.

dannyswo

Gold

Post by dannyswo » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:15 pm

Done. Last day of my tour. I fly home in 46 hours to out process.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:19 pm

Congrats!

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:33 pm

dannyswo wrote:Done. Last day of my tour. I fly home in 46 hours to out process.
Jelly School population: Me

23 months and a wakeup :cry:
Last edited by AJordan on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:53 pm

How difficult is it to get a job as a US attorney - veteran status?

navylawhopeful

New

Post by navylawhopeful » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:44 pm

Hi all--Yale has historically lagged behind its peer institutions in Yellow Ribbon contributions, but I received a great update from the Yale Financial Aid office today that some of you may be interested in.

Starting this upcoming academic year, Yale will be increasing their Yellow Ribbon contribution to match Harvard & Stanford, ensuring "a vet who qualifies for 100% of the Post 9/11 GI benefit and who applies for and is eligible for Yellow Ribbon, will have 100% of tuition and mandatory fees (including health insurance) covered." Hope this is of benefit to some of you!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:42 pm

KPUSN07 wrote:How difficult is it to get a job as a US attorney - veteran status?
My understanding is most (all?) BigFed legal jobs are exempted from vet-preference hiring. But, I've also heard it's a decent tiebreaker from time-to-time.

Ultimately, you'll need the law school pedigree and GPA that's generally inline with AUSA hiring. So...difficult but not impossible. But don't count of vet status as a blanket qualification waiver. AUSA jobs are pretty damn competitive.
Last edited by ponderingmeerkat on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:51 pm

navylawhopeful wrote:Hi all--Yale has historically lagged behind its peer institutions in Yellow Ribbon contributions, but I received a great update from the Yale Financial Aid office today that some of you may be interested in.

Starting this upcoming academic year, Yale will be increasing their Yellow Ribbon contribution to match Harvard & Stanford, ensuring "a vet who qualifies for 100% of the Post 9/11 GI benefit and who applies for and is eligible for Yellow Ribbon, will have 100% of tuition and mandatory fees (including health insurance) covered." Hope this is of benefit to some of you!
This is great news! I'll be updating the 2017-18 spreadsheet as soon as all the Yellow Ribbon amounts are updated on the VA site. But from the first time I collected the information in 2013-14, it's awesome how much better the schools have gotten across the board. Columbia now will be the only T14 law school that isn't completely free for 100% GI Bill vets, and that's only because their tuition jumped to outpace the GI Bill + YRP amount (which used to cover the whole shot a couple years back).

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:47 am

MT Cicero wrote:
navylawhopeful wrote:Hi all--Yale has historically lagged behind its peer institutions in Yellow Ribbon contributions, but I received a great update from the Yale Financial Aid office today that some of you may be interested in.

This is great news! I'll be updating the 2017-18 spreadsheet as soon as all the Yellow Ribbon amounts are updated on the VA site. But from the first time I collected the information in 2013-14, it's awesome how much better the schools have gotten across the board. Columbia now will be the only T14 law school that isn't completely free for 100% GI Bill vets, and that's only because their tuition jumped to outpace the GI Bill + YRP amount (which used to cover the whole shot a couple years back).
Just wanna say thanks for that SS. You're doing more for Veterans with that thing than most organizations do.
Last edited by AJordan on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:52 pm

ponderingmeerkat wrote:
KPUSN07 wrote:How difficult is it to get a job as a US attorney - veteran status?
My understanding is most (all?) BigFed legal jobs are exempted from vet-preference hiring. But, I've also heard it's a decent tiebreaker from time-to-time.

Ultimately, you'll need the law school pedigree and GPA that's generally inline with AUSA hiring. So...difficult but not impossible. But don't count of vet status as a blanket qualification waiver. AUSA jobs are pretty damn competitive.
Good to know and thanks... I wasn't sure if vets had preference for legal work as well.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:38 am

KPUSN07 wrote:
ponderingmeerkat wrote:

Good to know and thanks... I wasn't sure if vets had preference for legal work as well.
Unfortunately no. Won't hurt though.

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:39 am

MT Cicero wrote:

Hey, Semper hasn't posted since January and the spreadsheet on the OP is a year old- do you want me to give you the thread so you can get that stuff on the front page?

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:37 pm

Can you submit supplemental materials - for example, FITREPS/EVALs, Awards, etc....? I'm guessing these materials would need to be mailed to the school (if allowed)?

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:29 pm

KPUSN07 wrote:Can you submit supplemental materials - for example, FITREPS/EVALs, Awards, etc....? I'm guessing these materials would need to be mailed to the school (if allowed)?
Wouldn't you just put awards on your resume? I don't know if schools would give a shit if you were top blocked or whatever with your evals. I don't know anyone who submitted them to the school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”