Veterans Thread Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
benpatterson10

New

Re: Veterans Thread

Post by benpatterson10 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:36 pm

I've just been waitlisted at GULC. Anyone have some tips on how to get that changed over to an acceptance? GULC is my dream school, so I'm really hoping to convince them to let me in.

Thanks in advance and BZ to all of my fellow vets.

TheJanitor6203

Silver

Post by TheJanitor6203 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:46 pm

KPUSN07 wrote:Can healthcare through the school be covered through Post 9/11 GI Bill (public or private) - as part of the tuition payment? For spouse too?
Mine is covered. I've got 100% eligibility + YR. First semester I paid for it thinking it wasn't covered, got a refund, and have never paid for it again but it keeps getting paid.

Edit: Not sure about spouse. My wife has her own coverage that we pay for out of pocket.

sodomojo

Bronze

Post by sodomojo » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:41 pm

Any advice on how many times I should take the LSAT? Is just once okay?

I will be commissioning in a few months and I had originally requested a January 2018 BOLC date so I can take the LSAT twice, but I ended up getting October - so I'll only be able to take the September exam, for which I would have 3+ months to study for with nothing else going on. From what I've seen, looks like the majority of folks on TLS take it at least twice - many with a significant improvement in score?

P.S. If anyone here has been stationed in Germany (Vilseck specifically), this soon to be butterbar would love to hear your words of wisdom/about your experience there!

TheJanitor6203

Silver

Post by TheJanitor6203 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:50 pm

I wouldn't worry about it. Take it once and rock it the first time. I took it twice but only improved 2 points (partly because I had a cold the second time, but still). If you're not happy with the score you can make it happen. I studied for my second LSAT while in the field for a month. It sucks but you can do it if you have to.

Never went to Germany but wish I had. Make the most of it and enjoy your time there.

Lexigator

New

Post by Lexigator » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:13 am

Has anyone had any issues with regional transfers using Voc Rehab? I'm in CA right now and will be going to Notre Dame, I'm just trying to make sure I have all my ducks in a row so I don't get out there and find some sort of problem.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:44 am

sodomojo wrote:Any advice on how many times I should take the LSAT? Is just once okay?

I will be commissioning in a few months and I had originally requested a January 2018 BOLC date so I can take the LSAT twice, but I ended up getting October - so I'll only be able to take the September exam, for which I would have 3+ months to study for with nothing else going on. From what I've seen, looks like the majority of folks on TLS take it at least twice - many with a significant improvement in score?

P.S. If anyone here has been stationed in Germany (Vilseck specifically), this soon to be butterbar would love to hear your words of wisdom/about your experience there!
2CR?

dannyswo

Gold

Post by dannyswo » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:07 am

sodomojo wrote:Any advice on how many times I should take the LSAT? Is just once okay?

Ultimately there are only 3 outcomes if you take the test twice: you score lower: Doesn't hurt you, you score the same, doesn't hurt you, or you score better. Unless you're in a fantastic academic zone, get a job as a lifeguard instead of studying now. You've only got one summer to be 22.

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:23 am

dannyswo wrote:

Ultimately there are only 3 outcomes if you take the test twice: you score lower: Doesn't hurt you, you score the same, doesn't hurt you, or you score better. Unless you're in a fantastic academic zone, get a job as a lifeguard instead of studying now. You've only got one summer to be 22.
But Vilseck is going to be fun. Mandatory 4-day weekend every month, COLA, "deployments" to Eastern Europe, living in the Bavarian countryside less than two hours from Nürnberg, Prague, Munich etc. You can get an apartment with some mates in Amberg in the walled city.

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:26 am

Wipfelder wrote:
dannyswo wrote:

But Vilseck is going to be fun. Mandatory 4-day weekend every month, COLA, "deployments" to Eastern Europe, living in the Bavarian countryside less than two hours from Nürnberg, Prague, Munich etc. You can get an apartment with some mates in Amberg in the walled city.
Also, for the love of god, learn German. It's an easy language. Get some Duolingo action on your phone, do verb, article and preposition workbooks. Believe me, knowing some German, and being able to discuss German history and stuff will go a long, long ways.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dannyswo

Gold

Post by dannyswo » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:28 am

And there is an overnight sleeper train from Munich to Venice.

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:00 am

dannyswo wrote:And there is an overnight sleeper train from Munich to Venice.
Do Venice once, but otherwise, it's "eh". The horses (a war trophy from the 4th Crusade) is cool.

You won't have time in your three year tour to hit everything, even if you visit a new Staat or country every single month. I'm excited for you comrade.

dannyswo

Gold

Post by dannyswo » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:15 am

Wipfelder wrote:
dannyswo wrote:And there is an overnight sleeper train from Munich to Venice.
Do Venice once, but otherwise, it's "eh". The horses (a war trophy from the 4th Crusade) is cool.

You won't have time in your three year tour to hit everything, even if you visit a new Staat or country every single month. I'm excited for you comrade.
I went in via an overnight train, ran around for 12 hours and took another overnight out to Vienna.

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:20 am

I'm in Germany now but in the KMC area.

Individual advice: The 4 days are awesome but otherwise I'm busy as all get out. Enjoy the fact that you're in a hub that's close to a lot of really fun places to travel. The value Euro airlines are pretty neat once you learn how to use them efficiently. Villseck and Grafenwoehr are cold in winter so learn to use your ECWCS efficiently. Take time off when you can get it. There is always more work in the Army whether you leave at 1700 or 2100. I get that it's not always possible to leave at 1700 but the Command really does set an example and if you aren't leaving at a good time your troops will be staying late which kills QOL, retention, family stability, and all manner of other things.

Professional advice: As an officer you are going to be sheltered from a lot of the true suck. My advice to you is coming from the world of the NCO so maybe it's not indicative of what you normally hear. It will be much appreciated if you have very few opinions that can't be reasoned with, respect/defer to your senior NCOs (especially the platoon sergeant tasked with keeping you out of trouble/alive), don't get any bright ideas about changing the entirety of the Army from your 2LT throne and just do your best to learn all you can about caring for Soldiers while supporting your Commander/1SG. If you're not positive and squared away with all your gear, get some salty SSG to help you get it right. Learn to appreciate people for their experience and they will show you respect (or at least not eff with you too much, you are an LT after all). Stuff like that goes a long way. Basically, be good at what you do but don't trumpet it, ask for help, and appreciate those who have been around and learned hard lessons. NCOs always complain about how the Army is losing sight of taking care of Soldiers. If you can keep at least aware of that perspective/empathic you will have success.

Also, the LSAT is offered in Munich. That's where I took it. It was kind of a PITA but it's certainly doable and well run. PM me if you have any specific questions about that.
Last edited by AJordan on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:58 am

This may have been posted - but has anyone been able to convert scholarship money into a grant (since the GI Bill would cover tuition)? Does anyone have a list of schools that are open to that proposition?

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:58 pm

AJordan wrote:I'm in Germany now but in the KMC area.

Individual advice: The 4 days are awesome but otherwise I'm busy as all get out. Enjoy the fact that you're in a hub that's close to a lot of really fun places to travel. The value Euro airlines are pretty neat once you learn how to use them efficiently. Villseck and Grafenwoehr are cold in winter so learn to use your ECWCS efficiently. Take time off when you can get it. There is always more work in the Army whether you leave at 1700 or 2100. I get that it's not always possible to leave at 1700 but the Command really does set an example and if you aren't leaving at a good time your troops will be staying late which kills QOL, retention, family stability, and all manner of other things.

Professional advice: As an officer you are going to be sheltered from a lot of the true suck. My advice to you is coming from the world of the NCO so maybe it's not indicative of what you normally hear. It will be much appreciated if you have very few opinions that can't be reasoned with, respect/defer to your senior NCOs (especially the platoon sergeant tasked with keeping you out of trouble/alive), don't get any bright ideas about changing the entirety of the Army from your 2LT throne and just do your best to learn all you can about caring for Soldiers while supporting your Commander/1SG. If you're not positive and squared away with all your gear, get some salty SSG to help you get it right. Learn to appreciate people for their experience and they will show you respect (or at least not eff with you too much, you are an LT after all). Stuff like that goes a long way. Basically, be good at what you do but don't trumpet it, ask for help, and appreciate those who have been around and learned hard lessons. NCOs always complain about how the Army is losing sight of taking care of Soldiers. If you can keep at least aware of that perspective/empathic you will have success.

Also, the LSAT is offered in Munich. That's where I took it. It was kind of a PITA but it's certainly doable and well run. PM me if you have any specific questions about that.
-Since you are probably going to a line unit, take the lead of your Company Commander and XO, if they are at work, you should be too. That being said, let the PSG decide when the guys can leave. On non-training type days, guys can get away with pretty lax hours in a decently run organization. As a PL, you'll likely have long hours. Typical hours (non-training, non-field) were 0600 leadership meeting, PT, work stuff, then 1930 "final out", usually getting home by 2030 unless some last minute crap came up. Manage the time well and you'll have more free time on weekends and stuff.

-I'll second what the above poster said; save your brilliant ideas for a few months at least. Do the opposite, try and ask a different person every day what they think about something and why. You don't have to respond, agree or anything, but just ask and listen.

-Stick up for your guys, but also understand that there is a bigger picture. Every platoon thinks company headquarters is the worst, and out to get them. Every company thinks battalion is the worst and out to get them, it goes all the way up. A really, really good officer never says "I can't do that", or "have someone else do it", but says, "I can do that, but here is the risk; I'll have to give slack somewhere, where should it be?"

sodomojo

Bronze

Post by sodomojo » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:18 am

Thanks for the advice guys, it's seriously appreciated. I like that different question per person per day tidbit - will have to use it. And yes, 2CR!

At this point it looks like I will study over the summer and hope for the best. It is the summer after all and I will have 4 months until BOLC. I will still have time to relax besides studying anyways. Push comes to shove and I suck come September, I'll just have to come back to this station sometime down the road.

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:29 am

sodomojo wrote:Thanks for the advice guys, it's seriously appreciated. I like that different question per person per day tidbit - will have to use it. And yes, 2CR!

At this point it looks like I will study over the summer and hope for the best. It is the summer after all and I will have 4 months until BOLC. I will still have time to relax besides studying anyways. Push comes to shove and I suck come September, I'll just have to come back to this station sometime down the road.
If you want Vilseck-specific advice or whatever, pm me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

calpolisci2016

Bronze

Post by calpolisci2016 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:12 am

Has anyone applied for the Tillman Scholarship and if so, have you heard back from their committee yet? I'm trying to figure out what the timeline looks like.

CaptKangaroo

New

Post by CaptKangaroo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:53 am

calpolisci2016 wrote:Has anyone applied for the Tillman Scholarship and if so, have you heard back from their committee yet? I'm trying to figure out what the timeline looks like.
I applied. The selection committee announces the scholars in June.

calpolisci2016

Bronze

Post by calpolisci2016 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:01 am

CaptKangaroo wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:Has anyone applied for the Tillman Scholarship and if so, have you heard back from their committee yet? I'm trying to figure out what the timeline looks like.
Have you been invited for an interview?

CaptKangaroo

New

Post by CaptKangaroo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:27 pm

calpolisci2016 wrote:
CaptKangaroo wrote:
Have you been invited for an interview?
For university partners, interviews will occur at the end of April. For non-university partners, they will be conducted in mid-May. If accepted you'll be notified by June 1. - from the application FAQs

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dannyswo

Gold

Post by dannyswo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:42 pm

I can't wait until I can stop seeing military acronyms everywhere. People are posting about ASW and my brain goes to Anti-Submarine Warfare.

dannyswo

Gold

Post by dannyswo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:44 pm

KPUSN07 wrote:This may have been posted - but has anyone been able to convert scholarship money into a grant (since the GI Bill would cover tuition)? Does anyone have a list of schools that are open to that proposition?
U San Diego: no.
Pepperdine offered me a scholarship, plus they yellow ribbon everything and said they'd do it up to $7000 a year.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:26 pm

dannyswo wrote:I can't wait until I can stop seeing military acronyms everywhere. People are posting about ASW and my brain goes to Anti-Submarine Warfare.
I have been out for over 20 years, and still, everytime I see a KIA on the road, my mind goes to Killed In Action.

PS

Anti-Submarine Warfare might be useful for some of the coastal schools...

dannyswo

Gold

Post by dannyswo » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:59 am

haus wrote:
dannyswo wrote:I can't wait until I can stop seeing military acronyms everywhere. People are posting about ASW and my brain goes to Anti-Submarine Warfare.
I have been out for over 20 years, and still, everytime I see a KIA on the road, my mind goes to Killed In Action.

PS

Anti-Submarine Warfare might be useful for some of the coastal schools...
What else does KIA mean?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”