Veterans Thread Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
EMZE

Silver

Re: ITT: Military Veterans

Post by EMZE » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:55 pm

Is your userrname what I think it is?

If it is, then I was x74716

x77855

New

Post by x77855 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:56 pm

Yep, not very creative but I don't forget it!

rckybbby

New

Post by rckybbby » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:35 am

are any you of you (besides the FLEP kids) hoping to go jag? i personally am not, just curious.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:50 am

rckybbby wrote:are any you of you (besides the FLEP kids) hoping to go jag? i personally am not, just curious.
I am not intending to apply JAG, I am done carrying a gun for a living.

2xHarvard

New

Post by 2xHarvard » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:04 pm

Army JAG! Starting February 2012.

History: Prior active-duty E4 '04-'08 (27D - paralegal) & reserve '09 - 17 Dec 2011, OIF, history major Harvard '03, Harvard Law '11.

Additional acceptances: U. Florida, U. Miami, UCLA, Ave Maria, Nova

Rejection: Stanford

HLS has a wonderful and supportive atmosphere for military members. HLS had a vets org, the dean went to dinner with us every year, and we had 4 active judge advocates doing LLMs this past year.

The College just got Navy ROTC back for the first time in upteen years and the business school and Kennedy School of Govt are even more military-friendly. I mention same in case you'd like to apply for a dual degree program (JD/MBA or JD/MPA etc) or take classes at other schools.

Best wishes for all the military applicants and graduates! Happy Veterans Day!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:28 pm

Gentlemen. I recommend you consider business school instead.
-Better leverages your leadership skills
-Better leverages your problem solving skills
-More beer
-Better jobs down the road

If you insist on law school...
-Please consider applying to a big consulting firm. I am happy to respond to any PMs sent to me regarding Big 3 business consulting oppportunities for law students
-Federal prosecution is very cool
-Columbia Law School had a good group of former military law students when I was there
-And, of course, CRUSH THE LSAT. Study for it like it is your job. Have a good study plan. Invest 20-30 hours a week. Take 30+ full length tests along with countless individual sections

Good luck all.

lrslayer

Silver

Post by lrslayer » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:33 pm

itt: all veterans are men

rckybbby

New

Post by rckybbby » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:07 pm

lrslayer wrote:itt: all veterans are men
warfighters... is this preferable? has anyone used this: --LinkRemoved-- ? it was created/posted by another tls'er in this forum. i downloaded it and it works. sends emails to my bb when an update is made to my status.

and it's free by the way.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:32 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
rckybbby wrote:are any you of you (besides the FLEP kids) hoping to go jag? i personally am not, just curious.
I am not intending to apply JAG, I am done carrying a gun for a living.
+1 I've been in JAG for nearly 5 yrs that's enough for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:34 pm

Voyager wrote:Gentlemen. I recommend you consider business school instead.
-More beer

-Please consider applying to a big consulting firm. I am happy to respond to any PMs sent to me regarding Big 3 business consulting oppportunities for law students
-Columbia Law School had a good group of former military law students when I was there
-And, of course, CRUSH THE LSAT. Study for it like it is your job. Have a good study plan. Invest 20-30 hours a week. Take 30+ full length tests along with countless individual sections

Good luck all.
You might be getting a PM from me soon. Oh and the dean has dinner with us twice now.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:37 pm

EMZE wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:E-4 USMC grunt with deployments to OIF and OEF.

Damn. USMC E4 with a 169/3.8...

Not to self hate, but I don't think we have many joe's that smart in the Army.

Tell us more about yourself always legal
There are a good amount.

Army ranger
2 deployments
Combatives instructor for the guard
2L at T-14

sky7

Bronze

Post by sky7 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:19 am

Voyager wrote:Gentlemen. I recommend you consider business school instead.
-More beer

Good luck all.
Also - Voyager, the TLS community owes you profound thanks for your RC guide.

sky7

Bronze

Post by sky7 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:20 am

2xHarvard wrote:Army JAG! Starting February 2012.

History: Prior active-duty E4 '04-'08 (27D - paralegal) & reserve '09 - 17 Dec 2011, OIF, history major Harvard '03, Harvard Law '11.

Additional acceptances: U. Florida, U. Miami, UCLA, Ave Maria, Nova

Rejection: Stanford

HLS has a wonderful and supportive atmosphere for military members. HLS had a vets org, the dean went to dinner with us every year, and we had 4 active judge advocates doing LLMs this past year.

The College just got Navy ROTC back for the first time in upteen years and the business school and Kennedy School of Govt are even more military-friendly. I mention same in case you'd like to apply for a dual degree program (JD/MBA or JD/MPA etc) or take classes at other schools.

Best wishes for all the military applicants and graduates! Happy Veterans Day!!
So you went from a history major at Harvard to a 27D? Wow.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

2xHarvard

New

Post by 2xHarvard » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:48 am

Yes - it was a nice experience altogether. The JAs and other Ds were so supportive of my journey to law school! I hope I can pay it forward in some way.

Now I'm picking assignments preferences. I've only been to Iraq so would like to go to Afghanistan. Which installations would make that most likely in people's opinion?

x77855

New

Post by x77855 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:26 pm

Fort Bragg, center of the Army universe. If you want Afghanistan, there will be deployment opportunities here well beyond 2014.

2xHarvard

New

Post by 2xHarvard » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:37 pm

Well how difficult is jump school? - what's the attrition rate like?

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:39 pm

2xHarvard wrote:Well how difficult is jump school? - what's the attrition rate like?
Jump school is an absolute joke.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

x77855

New

Post by x77855 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:58 pm

Airborne is not a requirement for quite a few of the brigades here. But Corps is airborne and the SJA is under them so being airborne qualified will maximize your opportunities. FORSCOM recently moved here too, so there's even more at Bragg. Jump school is worth your time if you want to come to Bragg, if you can make the runs and don't somehow defy gravity you'll be fine.

ThomasMN

Bronze

Post by ThomasMN » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:53 pm

bjsesq wrote:
2xHarvard wrote:Well how difficult is jump school? - what's the attrition rate like?
Jump school is an absolute joke.
+1; as long as you can pass a PT test you can pass jump school.

ThomasMN

Bronze

Post by ThomasMN » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:55 pm

bjsesq wrote:
EMZE wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:E-4 USMC grunt with deployments to OIF and OEF.

Damn. USMC E4 with a 169/3.8...

Not to self hate, but I don't think we have many joe's that smart in the Army.

Tell us more about yourself always legal
There are a good amount.

Army ranger
2 deployments
Combatives instructor for the guard
2L at T-14
Ditto

Army Infantry
3 deployments
Soon to be 1L at UVA
Never got my tab though :( I finished up pre-ranger at Campbell right before we deployed for OIF One. After that I went to Germany and my unit was a bit odd about sending people to Ranger school.

rckybbby

New

Post by rckybbby » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:22 am

This is a little premature, but happy Veterans Day. Good luck to all of you this cycle, and in law school.

additionally, to the only branch that goes apeshit about their b-day (still can't figure them out), happy birthday Corps!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lrslayer

Silver

Post by lrslayer » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:32 am

rckybbby wrote:This is a little premature, but happy Veterans Day. Good luck to all of you this cycle, and in law school.

additionally, to the only branch that goes apeshit about their b-day (still can't figure them out), happy birthday Corps!
OoRah! Yut! Kill! Semper Fi! I am so proud to have served with the most crazy proud apeshit bastards I have ever met in my life! USMC! And happy Veteran's Day to the rest of you slightly less crazy warriors!

thementor31337

New

Post by thementor31337 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:44 am

Happy Veteran's Day All and Happy Belated Birthday to my fellow Marines!

I'm applying this cycle after getting rocked by the LSAT last October (153). I'm set for the December test, and since I'm currently on terminal leave, I have been studying like it's my job! My stats are as follows:

White Female
Marine Corps E4/Corporal
4 yrs 9 mos Active Duty
Staying SMCR after EAS
No combat deployments, got stuck at The Basic School in Quantico, VA as an administrator my entire enlistment.
Enlisted with Associates from community college (2.98 GPA).
Finished UG at Strayer University and graduated with 4.0 GPA and was Valedictorian of my UG class.
Currently attending GWU for Masters' in Paralegal Studies with 4.0 GPA.

Enlisted at 24, had about 8 years prior work experience as an insurance agent. I'm PT'ing in the low to high 160's now, so I feel like if I get in that range on the LSAT I have a good chance at the schools I want to apply to. I intend on applying to:
GULC
GWU
George Mason
American
Catholic
U of Richmond
UVA
..and possibly some schools in the NJ/Philly area since that is were I'm orginally from, and I haven't decided if I want to stay in VA/DC permanently.

I didn't think about writing a DS about my military service, I figured I would make my PS military centered and just go with it. If I write a DS about military service that leaves my PS open for another topic possibly. Does anyone think that doing a DS and PS that are military service focused would be too much? For example, my PS is currently about the Marine Corps boot camp experience and how it changed my perspective on my ability to do things, confidence, etc., but I could do a DS about how military experience overall has impacted my life, leadership capability, etc. Also, I'll be doing a GPA addendum to explain why my grades sucked in community college (I was 18..and stupid) and how I completely turned it around for the remainder of my UG.

I attended the LSAC Forum last May and spoke to a GULC rep who was great and definitely encouraged me to apply and that is definitely my #1 choice, however I was thinking I might have a better chance at GWU since I'm enrolled in grad there. I'd be satisfied with either one really, or UVA, which I think I have a 0% chance to get into because of my overall GPA.

Also, this may be a dumb question, but has anyone considered sending in any award write-ups/citations they may have received, especially those with combat awards? I received an impact NAM for work performance during Jan-May 2010 and the write-up is pretty badass, but I wasn't sure if that would be inappropriate.

lrslayer

Silver

Post by lrslayer » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:49 am

thementor31337 wrote:

Also, this may be a dumb question, but has anyone considered sending in any award write-ups/citations they may have received, especially those with combat awards? I received an impact NAM for work performance during Jan-May 2010 and the write-up is pretty badass, but I wasn't sure if that would be inappropriate.
i just put awards/citations on my resume

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:53 am

lrslayer wrote:
thementor31337 wrote:

i just put awards/citations on my resume
I listed them on my resume...for hiring as well but without details. Was good interview fodder.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”