Veterans Thread Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dannyswo

Gold

Re: Veterans Thread

Post by dannyswo » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:27 am

Timm wrote:I'm British military, posted out here in the US.

Does anybody have any objections to me tagging along to this thread?
I'm cool with it as long as you're not RAF. :lol:

Where are you at and what do you do? I just finished an exchange in the UK.

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:56 am

dannyswo wrote:
Timm wrote:I'm British military, posted out here in the US.

Does anybody have any objections to me tagging along to this thread?
I'm cool with it as long as you're not RAF. :lol:

Where are you at and what do you do? I just finished an exchange in the UK.
Or those insufferable guardsmen!

Also joking, but they're an easy target. You should send an email to service to school's JD program. They might be able to help you.

BOCKTAGON

New

Post by BOCKTAGON » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:25 pm

Hello everyone. Active duty Navy here. I plan on taking the December exam. Do any of you know if you can apply to colleges before you have an LSAT score? I am worried about getting looked over if I wait until after the exam in December. What are the consinces on this? Thanks in advance.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:13 pm

BOCKTAGON wrote:Hello everyone. Active duty Navy here. I plan on taking the December exam. Do any of you know if you can apply to colleges before you have an LSAT score? I am worried about getting looked over if I wait until after the exam in December. What are the consinces on this? Thanks in advance.
I would suggest reviewing the Spivey thread as discussion on impacts of test dates have come around a few times, if you do not see what you are looking for, the former adcoms in that thread have been a useful resource for many.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=197451

sodomojo

Bronze

Post by sodomojo » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:26 am

Anyone apply with say a year or two remaining on your commitment, with full intent on deferring? Is such a request likely to be granted? Or are they reserved for sudden deployments or something of that sort. Just a thought since admissions seem to be returning to a transitional/unpredictable phase - wondering if it might be wise to apply sooner rather than later.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:08 am

sodomojo wrote:Anyone apply with say a year or two remaining on your commitment, with full intent on deferring? Is such a request likely to be granted? Or are they reserved for sudden deployments or something of that sort. Just a thought since admissions seem to be returning to a transitional/unpredictable phase - wondering if it might be wise to apply sooner rather than later.
My school gives deferments for just about anything up to a certain date cutoff. It probably depends on the school though.

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:51 am

Hey everyone. Sorry it took me so long this year to get this information together, but here is my updated spreadsheet for the Post-9/11 GI Bill + Yellow Ribbon school cost comparison for this year:

2017-18 GI Bill + Yellow Ribbon

A few notes:

1. Welcome to the land of the free (schools) Yale, who this year went full match for an unlimited number of veterans. Now all you high-achieving folks can add another top school to your decision matrix.

2. NYU and Columbia continue to maintain their $20K match, which is no longer covering the full tuition (after GI Bill). Otherwise, the entire T14 would be free now. They are still damn cheap, but any vets at those schools might want to give a little nudge and let them know that their peers are quickly moving to unlimited to account for how much tuition outpaces GI Bill increases.

3. I did NOT include health insurance in this spreadsheet. For the schools that make it mandatory, YR should cover that as well (assuming available dollars).

4. I've posted the link to the spreadsheet in this thread's OP as well, for easy access later.

5. Denver now added YRP, making Baylor and BYU the only non-YRP schools in the top 100. BYU is dirt cheap anyway, even if you aren't LDS. So can someone get Baylor to join the party? I mean, SMU is free for 100% GI Bill vets, and Baylor will run you $34K+. If you're deciding between those as a vet? I'll take free. You can find other stingy schools at the bottom of the spreadsheet as well (Tulane, Loyola-LA, Miami, Boston U).

Any questions or errors you find, please reach out.

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:13 pm

Serious thanks, MT. If you ever, like, need a van unloaded or something let me know.
Last edited by AJordan on Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:47 pm

Seriously annoying that BC and BU don't offer more $$$....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gonavy!

New

Post by gonavy! » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:43 pm

Posting here to hopefully help some others save $$ this 2017-2018 cycle!

So far I have received fee waivers from the following schools:
GULC
UCLA
PENN
NYU
Colorado Boulder
Fordham

Washington
UT Austin
Northwestern

That's about $550 saved so far!

Note on UT: emailed LawFinAid@law.utexas.edu directly after the regular admissions email failed to respond and they got back to me within a day!

will edit as more come through.
I used the following email format (found somewhere deep in the archives) when writing the respective admissions departments:

XXXXX Law Admissions,

I'd like to request a fee waiver if they are available for active duty military. I'd be happy to provide some type of proof if it is needed. Thank you.

Name

LSAC# ######
Last edited by gonavy! on Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:47 pm

gonavy! wrote:Posting here to hopefully help some others save $$ this 2017-2018 cycle!

So far I have received fee waivers from the following schools:
GULC
UCLA
PENN
NYU
Colorado
Texas (pending)
Washington (pending)

will edit as more come through.
I used the following email format (found somewhere deep in the archives) when writing the respective admissions departments:

XXXXX Law Admissions,

I'd like to request a fee waiver if they are available for active duty military. I'd be happy to provide some type of proof if it is needed. Thank you.

Name

LSAC# ######
Excellent. Will add to the OP. And as you update this post, I'll keep updating the OP too. Others, please chime in with schools that have provided you a fee waiver for military service this cycle and I'll add to OP as well. Can also PM me if you want.

Also, if your email says, "I'd like a fee waiver as a military member who scored a 176 on the LSAT to go along with my 3.97 GPA," it might be tough to discern what got you the waiver.

Don't pay for apps that you don't have to. Send out those emails asap to all schools in which you might be interested.

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:22 pm

UVA definitely gives out waivers

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:19 pm

Texas does not give out a waiver

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NavyNuke

Bronze

Post by NavyNuke » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:41 pm

Anybody know if the schools that limit the number of YR recipients (Duke, Cornell, and others) ever fill up all those slots? And what is done if they have more vets left over after those slots are filled?

CMac86

Bronze

Post by CMac86 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:59 pm

NavyNuke wrote:Anybody know if the schools that limit the number of YR recipients (Duke, Cornell, and others) ever fill up all those slots? And what is done if they have more vets left over after those slots are filled?
I remember reading in past interviews and threads that some of the school don't fill up, so their number is arbitrary. You can see how many GI Bill students there are at a given school via the Ebenefits page of the VA. I looked it up for a few schools earlier after talking to my CCC. According to the spreadsheet, at least one of my top 3 schools has a 15 person limit, yet per the EBenefits page, only had 3 people enrolled via the GI Bill.

NavyNuke

Bronze

Post by NavyNuke » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:06 pm

CMac86 wrote:
NavyNuke wrote:Anybody know if the schools that limit the number of YR recipients (Duke, Cornell, and others) ever fill up all those slots? And what is done if they have more vets left over after those slots are filled?
I remember reading in past interviews and threads that some of the school don't fill up, so their number is arbitrary. You can see how many GI Bill students there are at a given school via the Ebenefits page of the VA. I looked it up for a few schools earlier after talking to my CCC. According to the spreadsheet, at least one of my top 3 schools has a 15 person limit, yet per the EBenefits page, only had 3 people enrolled via the GI Bill.
Awesome! I will check out that page. Thanks a lot.

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:57 am

Honestly I would be shocked if any law school filled its YRP slots.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jthel08

New

Post by jthel08 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:20 am

I am sure this has been answered before, just can't seem to locate it...What happens if you are on VOC REHAB and receive a scholarship offer. Will the scholarship be paid to the vet or how would a situation like this play out... Thanks in advance!

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:49 am

jthel08 wrote:I am sure this has been answered before, just can't seem to locate it...What happens if you are on VOC REHAB and receive a scholarship offer. Will the scholarship be paid to the vet or how would a situation like this play out... Thanks in advance!
Hey, I'd recommend reaching out to Service 2 School, they have an ex-serviceman on their board who is using VOC Rehab, and is developing a "best practices" guide for the program.

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:51 am

BlendedUnicorn wrote:Honestly I would be shocked if any law school filled its YRP slots.
This. And also, if you're number 11 in a school that goes to 10, definitely ask the question. With GI Bill/YRP, the most a school could concede in its own money is ~$20K. I don't know why schools just don't go unlimited for both and be done with it. They'll be giving vets who served 3+ years or have a disability the equivalent of an average scholarship. They might even break even on scholly savings vs. scholly spending (would almost certainly save money on a high-numbers candidate unless they allow reclassification). And I'm guessing around 1-4% of incoming classes have YRP-eligible vets.

Those of you at schools, feel free to (politely) nudge the decision makers. Ask for a sit down. Explain the simplicity of the numbers. It took one meeting at my school to get them to unlimited for both.

jthel08

New

Post by jthel08 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:28 pm

Wipfelder wrote:
jthel08 wrote:I am sure this has been answered before, just can't seem to locate it...What happens if you are on VOC REHAB and receive a scholarship offer. Will the scholarship be paid to the vet or how would a situation like this play out... Thanks in advance!
Hey, I'd recommend reaching out to Service 2 School, they have an ex-serviceman on their board who is using VOC Rehab, and is developing a "best practices" guide for the program.
I am participating in that program currently. They really do not have info ( well my mentor at least) about if I can receive a scholarship and have it refunded to me since VOC REHAB is already paying for the tuition.

Thanks for the post though!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:35 pm

jthel08 wrote:
Wipfelder wrote:
I am participating in that program currently. They really do not have info ( well my mentor at least) about if I can receive a scholarship and have it refunded to me since VOC REHAB is already paying for the tuition.

I'm 100% certain they do have the info. Your ambassador probably just doesn't realize it. Send an email to JD Ops, they will help you.

Lexigator

New

Post by Lexigator » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:35 pm

jthel08 wrote:
Wipfelder wrote:

I'm on Ch31 right now and worked with in a vet center with a voc rehab counselor for a couple years. If you can receive the scholarship as not being directed to your tuition, it's yours. They work like grants. But if you get the ones that are essentially automatically applied to your tuition, then the VA just covers the rest of your tuition. No refund there.

jthel08

New

Post by jthel08 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:41 pm

Lexigator wrote:
jthel08 wrote:
Wipfelder wrote:

I'm on Ch31 right now and worked with in a vet center with a voc rehab counselor for a couple years. If you can receive the scholarship as not being directed to your tuition, it's yours. They work like grants. But if you get the ones that are essentially automatically applied to your tuition, then the VA just covers the rest of your tuition. No refund there.
Oh, ok. Thanks! Is there a way to distinguish between the two? Or does the school itself just place it where they want..? Im new to the application and scholarship part of the process. Bare with me... haha

jthel08

New

Post by jthel08 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:42 pm

Wipfelder wrote:
jthel08 wrote:
Wipfelder wrote:

I'm 100% certain they do have the info. Your ambassador probably just doesn't realize it. Send an email to JD Ops, they will help you.
OK Ill try that, thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”