Veterans Thread Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rckybbby

New

Re: ITT: Military Veterans

Post by rckybbby » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:03 pm

blowhard wrote:
lrslayer wrote:
thementor31337 wrote:

Also, this may be a dumb question, but has anyone considered sending in any award write-ups/citations they may have received, especially those with combat awards? I received an impact NAM for work performance during Jan-May 2010 and the write-up is pretty badass, but I wasn't sure if that would be inappropriate.
i just put awards/citations on my resume
I listed them on my resume...for hiring as well but without details. Was good interview fodder.
damnit! again. i didn't put anything in there, felt weird. i wish i had now.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:07 pm

I'm not a veteran, but in the spirit of Veterans Day, thank you all for your service.

Kring345

Bronze

Post by Kring345 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:09 pm

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/juj122

-US Marine Corps
-E-5 / Sgt
-Ive been in for 4.5 years, 2.5 years in iconic platoon sergeant billet, and EAS Aug 2012, just in time for 1L
-1 x Iraq, 2 x Afghanistan (currently in Afghanistan)
-168 LSAT / 3.8 GPA
-I applied to entire T-14 plus UCLA, UT, and USC. Hoping for NU, Penn, or HYS (obv)

Advice:
-Leverage your military experience in our PS by showing (vice telling) what you have to offer.
-Seek "public service" fee waivers. Many schools offer them for TFA, Peace Corps, etc. If you say, "I see that you offer public service waiver for TFA, does military service count as public service?" -- They will HAVE TO say yes! lol

Cavgirl

New

Post by Cavgirl » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:18 pm

Happy Veteran's Day, everyone. It was an honor to serve and I thank all of you for your service.

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:20 pm

patrickd139 wrote:I'm not a veteran, but in the spirit of Veterans Day, thank you all for your service.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

quadsixm

Bronze

Post by quadsixm » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:23 pm

Sorry to derail, but thank you all so much for your service. Wish you all the best of luck with your app cycles as well.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:50 pm

Thanks Quad, Law4vsus, and Patrickd. Everyone likes to be appreciated!

californihuh

New

Post by californihuh » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:05 pm

Kring345 wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/juj122

-US Marine Corps
-E-5 / Sgt
-Ive been in for 4.5 years, 2.5 years in iconic platoon sergeant billet, and EAS Aug 2012, just in time for 1L
-168 LSAT / 3.8 GPA
-I applied to entire T-14 plus UCLA, UT, and USC. Hoping for NU, Penn, or HYS (obv)
Just out of curiosity, how do you guys manage to complete undergrad + study for the LSAT while still doing active-duty? Not to mention maintaining a good GPA... I mean, I know theres online programs and all that, but I don't think most of us (on the here anyways) have gone that route. Did you guys take time off of high school? Or start college and then went enlisted? Are we all old, crusty, salty, service members...?

Oh, +1 to everyone for Veterans Day.

thementor31337

New

Post by thementor31337 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:25 pm

californihuh wrote:

-US Marine Corps
-E-5 / Sgt
-168 LSAT / 3.8 GPA
Just out of curiosity, how do you guys manage to complete undergrad + study for the LSAT while still doing active-duty? Not to mention maintaining a good GPA... I mean, I know theres online programs and all that, but I don't think most of us (on the here anyways) have gone that route. Did you guys take time off of high school? Or start college and then went enlisted? Are we all old, crusty, salty, service members...?

I came in with the AS and completed the second half of my undergrad while on active duty. Luckily I was at a non-deployable station so that helped a lot, and I did go the online route. I took my first two classes in the classroom on campus, but then decided I would do online because sometimes I didn't feel like sitting in a 4 hour lecture after working 10hrs/day.
Compared to many of my peers/supervisors, I am considered old!! I was older than many of the SSgt's I worked with, I just think what I could have done if I had joined at 18 instead of 24.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kring345

Bronze

Post by Kring345 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:32 pm

californihuh wrote:

-US Marine Corps
-E-5 / Sgt
-168 LSAT / 3.8 GPA

I graduated in 2007 from a Big10 school, and I enlisted after graduation. I was going to go the officer route, and even graduated from OCS, but opted to enlist for personal reasons. Never looked back.

In regards to the LSAT, I studied while in Afghanistan. Didnt work out very well, so I studied a bit more on post-deployment leave and retook this June.

Not sure if I qualify as salty, but my short LSN bio is quoted above, and I'll be 27 when I started law school.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:03 pm

californihuh wrote:

-US Marine Corps
-E-5 / Sgt
-168 LSAT / 3.8 GPA

I did the online route for a BA/MA and took the LSAT deployed. It's all about time management.

EMZE

Silver

Post by EMZE » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:44 pm

californihuh wrote:

-US Marine Corps
-E-5 / Sgt
-168 LSAT / 3.8 GPA

Service Academy. Easy.

LSAT not so much. Free time doesn't exist, at least since I moved to staff. I wish I would have studied while deployed instead of spending time between missions watching endless seasons of TV shows.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:24 pm

SemperLegal wrote:Thanks Quad, Law4vsus, and Patrickd. Everyone likes to be appreciated!
+1 thanks. My law school actually took all the vets out to dinner. It was great but it also sucked that it was only about 14 of us there in a school of 1700 students.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:28 pm

Kring345 wrote:
californihuh wrote:

-US Marine Corps
-E-5 / Sgt
-168 LSAT / 3.8 GPA

I graduated in 2007 from a Big10 school, and I enlisted after graduation. I was going to go the officer route, and even graduated from OCS, but opted to enlist for personal reasons. Never looked back.

In regards to the LSAT, I studied while in Afghanistan. Didnt work out very well, so I studied a bit more on post-deployment leave and retook this June.

Not sure if I qualify as salty, but my short LSN bio is quoted above, and I'll be 27 when I started law school.
Almost me to a tee. I got my first degree from a big ten school, my second from an online while I was active, and my masters from a Big 12 school. As for the LSAT I study in between deployments I don't think I could work 14hrs a day and study for the LSAT. I was 29 when I started Law school turned thirty during 1st semester.

Kring345

Bronze

Post by Kring345 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:06 am

unc0mm0n1 wrote:Almost me to a tee.
I hope that trend continues, and I follow you to Harvard. Unfortunately, the only chance I have is if they mistake my 168 for a 178... :lol: yet :(

But likely Im destined for mid or low T14... the only place in the world where 97th percentile is considered mediocre... again, :lol: yet :(

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:21 am

thanks vets

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:42 pm

http://www.newgibill.org/calculator/

Calc was finally updated for the newest changes to gi bill

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kring345

Bronze

Post by Kring345 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:42 am

Any current students/lawyers care to talk about the role of vet status beyond the admission process, especially the job hunt? I'd imagine this is where the real benefit will be found. I'll be at t14, so that perspective in particular would be be appreciated. But obviously everyone's responses are welcome.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:50 am

Kring345 wrote:Any current students/lawyers care to talk about the role of vet status beyond the admission process, especially the job hunt? I'd imagine this is where the real benefit will be found. I'll be at t14, so that perspective in particular would be be appreciated. But obviously everyone's responses are welcome.
It helped a lot both for 1L and 2L summer. Be able to translate your experiences into laymen terms (including on your resume) and explain how they'll help you contribute. Many of my interviewers were fascinated and we spent most of every interview talking about it. It can help you break into insular markets...I just explained that I hadn't lived at home for 10 years and my friends were spread all over the US. Firms love teamwork, leadership, and responsibility...stress it in your answers.

2xHarvard

New

Post by 2xHarvard » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:09 pm

Kring345 wrote:Any current students/lawyers care to talk about the role of vet status beyond the admission process, especially the job hunt? I'd imagine this is where the real benefit will be found. I'll be at t14, so that perspective in particular would be be appreciated. But obviously everyone's responses are welcome.
In addition to giving you something to talk about in the interview, demonstrating your responsibility, ability to work long hours (!), and other 'soft' factors, some employers specifically seek veterans. Maybe this is just for government employers since that was my focus, but places I applied literally prompted me to 'check the box' for veteran status. According to the application forms, veteran prefence (5 point or 10 point) means one's status is taken into consideration even for positions that do not require a civil service exam.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:20 pm

2xHarvard wrote:
In addition to giving you something to talk about in the interview, demonstrating your responsibility, ability to work long hours (!), and other 'soft' factors, some employers specifically seek veterans. Maybe this is just for government employers since that was my focus, but places I applied literally prompted me to 'check the box' for veteran status. According to the application forms, veteran prefence (5 point or 10 point) means one's status is taken into consideration even for positions that do not require a civil service exam.
Just an FYI, as I understand it most lawyer jobs are exempt so while the veteran status helps, they don't hire based upon points like other gs jobs.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

2xHarvard

New

Post by 2xHarvard » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:25 pm

Just so: it is not based on points but is a boost nonetheless as indicated.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:27 pm

2xHarvard wrote:Just so: it is not based on points but is a boost nonetheless as indicated.
Just wanted to point it out so no one is misled into giving too much weight when planning their careers... Someone with equal grades/school and non-veteran could still be hired over you. Many people familiar with federal hiring don't realize that.

EMZE

Silver

Post by EMZE » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:50 pm

What kind of jobs are out there that require/prefer security clearances? I imagine there are a number of government positions. What about gov contractors like raytheon, boeing, lockheed etc? I have a TS/SCI and I hope it will add some benefit.

Kring345

Bronze

Post by Kring345 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:04 pm

I made this excel document to show tuition prices for veterans who are receiving 100% of his or her post-9/11 GI bill. I did some rounding to make it easier to read. Also, expect tuition to really be $100-$5000 more than listed because of fees and such. The data listed is simply the tuition and nothing else.

It is fully editable. If you see a mistake, please post what the mistake is (so others may confirm/deny/verify) and feel free to edit the document.

Couple of things:
1. Can someone make sure I didnt royally screw this up?! lol :lol: :oops:

2. Im a bit confused by UVA, Mich, Berk, UCLA, and Texas. They should be 100% covered as public schools, correct? If so, why is there even anything listed under the yellow ribbon program? If not, what am I missing?

3. Who is less lazy than me and feels like editing the column to the right? I was hoping to have all of the BAH rates included.

4. Current students who are veterans, feel free to add approximate ranges for apartments in the area. You'll see the column for that on the right hand side.

5. Feel free to add additional schools.

TO EDIT: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... G1zbjUtV3c
(Some of the formatting is a bit funky for some reason. Still works, though.)

TO DOWNLOAD: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B23j4i ... Y0NzJjNzll
(Download with proper formatting)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”