Do I put Esq. JD or neither after Recommender's name? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
zer0edit

New

Do I put Esq. JD or neither after Recommender's name?

Post by zer0edit » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:36 pm

I'm in the process of setting up the recommenders and evaluators on the LSAC website, but not sure what to do about a suffix. For doctors I put MD and PhD were applicable, but what about for attorneys? Do I put Esq, JD or neither?

Any help much appreciated! Thanks!

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Re: Do I put Esq. JD or neither after Recommender's name?

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:42 pm

zer0edit wrote:I'm in the process of setting up the recommenders and evaluators on the LSAC website, but not sure what to do about a suffix. For doctors I put MD and PhD were applicable, but what about for attorneys? Do I put Esq, JD or neither?

Any help much appreciated! Thanks!
I would assume JD meant they graduated law school but didn't pass the bar/are not practicing law. Don't listen to me though, I'm a lowly 1L.

ETA: I believe I put esq. after my lawyer references.
Last edited by LSATmakesMeNeurotic on Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:43 pm

If they're a recommender, can't you ask them how they prefer to be addressed?

Nobody

Bronze

Post by Nobody » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:24 pm

Ugh, no.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:45 pm

Nobody wrote:Ugh, no.
+1.

using esquire at the end of your name is douchey.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:47 pm

J.D. ToTransferOrNot, Esq. wouldn't be appropriate then? :lol:

FWIW, I fully plan to start dropping ,esq. after my name if I'm writing a crabby e-mail to customer service/rental people/etc. Otherwise its ridiculous.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:52 pm

Be sure to put B.A. or B.S. after your own name on all your law school applications.

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:18 pm

Grizz, [i]Juris Doctor [/i]candidate wrote:Be sure to put B.A. or B.S. after your own name on all your law school applications.

tyro

Silver

Post by tyro » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:29 pm

Yeah I feel strange putting PhD after my recommendors' names just because it's kind of assumed and could be seen as a douchey move by me/make professor look young or cocky.

I have an attorney on my resume and I just put his name and a URL to his profile. Just Link that shit (not actually sure if this is a good idea for resumes).

It seems like it would be beneficial for both parties to provide profile links for both recommendors and resume references. I could see this happening in the future. Not saying do this now though as it may be seen as strange.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:38 pm

tyro wrote:Yeah I feel strange putting PhD after my recommendors' names just because it's kind of assumed and could be seen as a douchey move by me/make professor look young or cocky.

I have an attorney on my resume and I just put his name and a URL to his profile. Just Link that shit (not actually sure if this is a good idea for resumes).

It seems like it would be beneficial for both parties to provide profile links for both recommendors and resume references. I could see this happening in the future. Not saying do this now though as it may be seen as strange.
I was yelled at by more than one professor for not putting PhD at the end of her name. "I worked hard for that, you'd better recognize my importance in the field of sociology!" If someone had a doctorate, i just included it

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:56 am

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
tyro wrote:Yeah I feel strange putting PhD after my recommendors' names just because it's kind of assumed and could be seen as a douchey move by me/make professor look young or cocky.

I was yelled at by more than one professor for not putting PhD at the end of her name. "I worked hard for that, you'd better recognize my importance in the field of sociology!" If someone had a doctorate, i just included it
I would have told her to get a real Ph.D. and I would respect it.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:01 am

Put neither. Using Esq or not is personal preference. No one uses JD.

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:13 am

Joe Blow, Esq.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

legalace

New

Post by legalace » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:24 pm

FWIW, I fully plan to start dropping ,esq. after my name if I'm writing a crabby e-mail to customer service/rental people/etc. Otherwise its ridiculous.
Esquire is a title which has come to be associated with American lawyers. It is often appropriate to address correspondence to an attorney as "Esq." or "Esquire". However, it is not appropriate for a lawyer to refer to himself or herself as or "Esq." or "Esquire", or to include or "Esq." or "Esquire" on business cards or as part of a signature.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:44 pm

Was it really necessary to resurrect an 8 1/2 year old thread to say that?

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:51 pm

Since the damage's already been done...
03121202698008 wrote:Put neither. Using Esq or not is personal preference. No one uses JD.
I've seen a number of email signatures in my time that included "[name], J.D." I don't think it's abnormal or unusual at all.

I haven't really seen BigLawyers put "Esq." in their sigs, though. I think I've only seen that from SmallLawyers, especially older ones.
LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:I would assume JD meant they graduated law school but didn't pass the bar/are not practicing law. Don't listen to me though, I'm a lowly 1L.
Yeah, that's not true at all. "[name], J.D." is just as valid as "[name], Ph.D." (or any other graduate degree - don't list associate or Bachelor's degrees!) - but I have yet to see anyone in any context write "[name], passed the bar."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”