can you delete/cancel LOR's after LOR form Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
smoneill88

Bronze

can you delete/cancel LOR's after LOR form

Post by smoneill88 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:45 pm

hey guys,

urgent question...can you delete/remove a LOR after printing the LOR form from LSAC? i have a family attorney friend that i asked to write a LOR for me and it turned out awful...it mentions high school a bunch and doesn't ever really get to 'why i'd do well in law school'. it just lists a few character traits (very repetitively) and how he knows me, along with a few generic statements about my work.

what are my options? if i print the LOR form is the LOR locked in, or can i remove the letter it from my LSAC account after? i'm stuck and can't tell him i don't want the letter, and he knows he has to sign a form before sending it in and is expecting to do so.

thank you!

Ernert

Bronze

Re: can you delete/cancel LOR's after LOR form

Post by Ernert » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:51 pm

Since you tell LSAC which LOR's to assign to each school, can't you just *not* assign his LOR to any of the schools you are applying to? At least in case deleting outright turns out to be impossible.

kahechsof

Bronze

Post by kahechsof » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:01 pm

Sheehan wrote:Since you tell LSAC which LOR's to assign to each school, can't you just *not* assign his LOR to any of the schools you are applying to? At least in case deleting outright turns out to be impossible.
Yes, you can just not assign them to any schools.
I don't know why LSAC is so uptight about deleting them since you can just not assign them. I generally think they may be sitting on a pole.

smoneill88

Bronze

Post by smoneill88 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:04 pm

ok, so in the 'letter description' before i print should i write 'for UC Davis Law School' which i'm not applying to, or can i still put 'For all Law Schools' and assign it to no schools when i'm actually doing applications?

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:17 pm

smoneill88 wrote:ok, so in the 'letter description' before i print should i write 'for UC Davis Law School' which i'm not applying to, or can i still put 'For all Law Schools' and assign it to no schools when i'm actually doing applications?
Just don't assign it to any schools and there shouldn't be any problem.

Even though it seems repetitive and mentions things from high school, that's not the worst LOR. I know a girl whose recommender allowed her to see the rec, which stated "I don't think X has the emotional maturity to handle medical school" So, it could definitely be worse. But yeah, if you think your other recommendations are better, just don't assign this to any schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kahechsof

Bronze

Post by kahechsof » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:20 pm

cinephile wrote: I know a girl whose recommender allowed her to see the rec, which stated "I don't think X has the emotional maturity to handle medical school"
Wow.
I guess the same moron who would write that in a letter, would also allow her to see the letter after he had written that. Amazing.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:25 pm

kahechsof wrote:
cinephile wrote: I know a girl whose recommender allowed her to see the rec, which stated "I don't think X has the emotional maturity to handle medical school"
Wow.
I guess the same moron who would write that in a letter, would also allow her to see the letter after he had written that. Amazing.
I think it was more of a hint for her to get her life together. She didn't use that rec, got into school and had to take a leave of absence after a year.

140dot6

New

Post by 140dot6 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:09 pm

sorry to necro this post but I have a related question.

I had two active LOR requests for one recommender. He just submitted using the old request, that had not been assigned to any schools by the time I had applied (I applied yesterday)

I just changed the assignments on the schools I applied to. All of them already had two "submitted" recommendations, though. Meaning they were all already complete before this recommender submitted his.

My question is, will LSAC send this new recommendation to law schools? I would call them but their office is closed by this point

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”