SLU Summer Institute? Anyone know anything about this? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JoseAllDay

New

SLU Summer Institute? Anyone know anything about this?

Post by JoseAllDay » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:07 pm

Does anyone know anything about SLUs Summer Institute program?

Seems its for students who have potential but their undergrad grades and LSAT score fail to show this.

http://law.slu.edu/admissions/programs/summer.html

scammedhard

Silver

Re: SLU Summer Institute? Anyone know anything about this?

Post by scammedhard » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:17 pm

In my opinion, all these summer programs are a way to start scamming people early: in the summer, as opposed to the fall.

With all the data available out there, I cannot imagine why you'd be looking into SLU. If your grades and LSAT are not good enough to get you into a decent Tier 1 law school with substantial scholarship money, then sorry, law school is not for you. Don't think that getting admitted into a law school like SLU is going to get you a lawyer job or a job that will allow you to pay back your student loans.

http://thirdtierreality.blogspot.com/20 ... louis.html

things fall apart

Bronze

Post by things fall apart » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:08 am

scammedhard wrote:In my opinion, all these summer programs are a way to start scamming people early: in the summer, as opposed to the fall.

With all the data available out there, I cannot imagine why you'd be looking into SLU. If your grades and LSAT are not good enough to get you into a decent Tier 1 law school with substantial scholarship money, then sorry, law school is not for you. Don't think that getting admitted into a law school like SLU is going to get you a lawyer job or a job that will allow you to pay back your student loans.

http://thirdtierreality.blogspot.com/20 ... louis.html

Mr. Scammedhard, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having read it. I award you no "TITCR", and may God have mercy on your soul.

JoseAllDay

New

Post by JoseAllDay » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:11 pm

Man from what I have seen, there are a lot of SLU haters on here.

Any other opinions on the Summer Institute?

ihhwap1

Bronze

Post by ihhwap1 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:37 pm

Last edited by ihhwap1 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JoseAllDay

New

Post by JoseAllDay » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:02 pm

probably true.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:12 pm

SLU isn't worth full cost (or anywhere near full cost), and this program seems unlikely to award its participants the scholarship money necessary to make SLU a worthwhile investment. If your GPA and LSAT aren't up to par for whatever reason, you're much better off retaking the LSAT than putting yourself through this thing.

<--- Went to SLU for undergrad, know several SLU Law students, don't know any SLU Law students with jobs that justify what they paid (/are paying) for their JD.

JoseAllDay

New

Post by JoseAllDay » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:29 pm

beachbum wrote:SLU isn't worth full cost (or anywhere near full cost), and this program seems unlikely to award its participants the scholarship money necessary to make SLU a worthwhile investment. If your GPA and LSAT aren't up to par for whatever reason, you're much better off retaking the LSAT than putting yourself through this thing.

<--- Went to SLU for undergrad, know several SLU Law students, don't know any SLU Law students with jobs that justify what they paid (/are paying) for their JD.

I know whats up. I live in St. Louis. South City.

Was looking for feedback on these types of programs. I am sure you know like I do that Wash U grads get top priority in this city.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:14 pm

Seek out taxguy, he has plenty to say on this subject.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jessib381

New

Post by Jessib381 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:38 pm

I was accepted to the Summer Institute at SLU in December of 2017. My LSAT score wasn't up there, but my career experience and grades were. My question is, what's so wrong with SLU? If you live in St. Louis and want to stay here and go to law school, you only have two options... SLU or Wash U. Wash U is very hard to get into (however, they're advice to me was to apply in my second year of law school). I just wanted to get a better idea of how SLU will be. My visit there was exceptional and it seems like a fantastic place (especially after their move into that giant building). I already have a career as a Digital Media Manager, but becoming a lawyer has always been a dream for me. I have two children and my husband will be supporting me while I'm in school so I don't have to work. You aren't allowed to work while you're in the Summer Institute, which is understandable. It's a big leap for me, but one I am excited for. I'm nervous about job prospects after school, of course. Replies would be very helpful. Thank you!

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:07 pm

Jessib381 wrote:I was accepted to the Summer Institute at SLU in December of 2017. My LSAT score wasn't up there, but my career experience and grades were. My question is, what's so wrong with SLU? If you live in St. Louis and want to stay here and go to law school, you only have two options... SLU or Wash U. Wash U is very hard to get into (however, they're advice to me was to apply in my second year of law school). I just wanted to get a better idea of how SLU will be. My visit there was exceptional and it seems like a fantastic place (especially after their move into that giant building). I already have a career as a Digital Media Manager, but becoming a lawyer has always been a dream for me. I have two children and my husband will be supporting me while I'm in school so I don't have to work. You aren't allowed to work while you're in the Summer Institute, which is understandable. It's a big leap for me, but one I am excited for. I'm nervous about job prospects after school, of course. Replies would be very helpful. Thank you!
You should be VERY nervous about job prospects. SLU gives you just above a 50% chance of EVER working as a lawyer, and those jobs probably do not pay more than 40k a year (I would tell you more specifically, but SLU purposely does not release this data. What are they hiding? This is a huge red flag). I mean, if you want to spend a fortune to go to a school that barely gives you a coin flips chance of ever working as lawyer in any field, then thats your risk to take. But it is a terrible risk and truthfully not worth it at all if you have to spend a dime.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”