2 page resume? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
URMdan

Bronze

Re: 2 page resume?

Post by URMdan » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:49 pm

kwais wrote:
URMdan wrote:
kwais wrote:
URMdan wrote:

I'm sorry if I arrived at the wrong conclusion, you just seem very passionate about filler. So passionate that I couldn't help but assume that the majority of your WE is filler (hence Guitar Center, rock on).

But seriously, can I ask what your GPA/LSAT is?
YOU introduced the word filler as synonymous with work experience. I'm only passionate about figuring out why people seem to be so assured of something that multiple adcomms contradict (with no reason to lie).
and since you are not sure whether or not to take me seriously, 3.7, 170. Does my opinion matter now or must I retake in order to give my 2 cents?
Adcomm incentive to lie is so that they appear holistic, duh
I thought about it. This doesn't make them seem more holistic. It just reinforces everything else they say which is, if you did it, include it. That includes the jobs that sustained you through UG. Also, people really misinterpret the importance of numbers. You need them to get your app read, but that's still a big group. They do read what you send. I promise.

I am not doubting that. I actually agree with you. But what I am arguing is that going into detail about some of your less relevant WE is not necessary and should be avoided if it means fitting everything on a single page.

For example, I worked for a retail clothing store for last year's holiday season (between Oct 09 - Jan 10). I am not going into any detail about that experience, I am just listing it. If I had to sacrifice something to keep my resume to a page, I would sacrifice this however.

Another example - I worked another retail job part-time for 4 or 5 months. The only detail that I include from that job is that I set the store record for most replacement plans sold in the month of August.

The only WE's that I go into significant detail about are my internships, 1 of which is with an AG's office, and 2 jobs that I held for 3+ years each.

Sometimes you have to get rid of the smaller memories to make room for the bigger ones.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:50 pm

No.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:50 pm

kwais wrote:
paratactical wrote:
kwais wrote:I thought about it. This doesn't make them seem more holistic. It just reinforces everything else they say which is, if you did it, include it. That includes the jobs that sustained you through UG. Also, people really misinterpret the importance of numbers. You need them to get your app read, but that's still a big group. They do read what you send. I promise.
Since you demand proof of everyone, I demand proof that your "thoughts" are correct.
I can't prove shit and never do, probably because I'm lazy and incompetant, so I just tell other people they have to prove things.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:55 pm

I am not doubting that. I actually agree with you. But what I am arguing is that going into detail about some of your less relevant WE is not necessary and should be avoided if it means fitting everything on a single page.

For example, I worked for a retail clothing store for last year's holiday season (between Oct 09 - Jan 10). I am not going into any detail about that experience, I am just listing it. If I had to sacrifice something to keep my resume to a page, I would sacrifice this however.

Another example - I worked another retail job part-time for 4 or 5 months. The only detail that I include from that job is that I set the store record for most replacement plans sold in the month of August.

The only WE's that I go into significant detail about are my internships, 1 of which is with an AG's office, and 2 jobs that I held for 3+ years each.

Sometimes you have to get rid of the smaller memories to make room for the bigger ones.[/quote]

Agreed. :D

crossingforHYS

Silver

Post by crossingforHYS » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:57 pm

mine is 2

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

URMdan

Bronze

Post by URMdan » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:57 pm

kwais wrote:I am not doubting that. I actually agree with you. But what I am arguing is that going into detail about some of your less relevant WE is not necessary and should be avoided if it means fitting everything on a single page.

Sometimes you have to get rid of the smaller memories to make room for the bigger ones.
Agreed. :D[/quote]

That's what I'm talkin about. See, I knew we could get along! Mashallaaaaa

CGI Fridays

Silver

Post by CGI Fridays » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:59 pm

URMdan, I still haven't seen your... sauseego... please post pics.

URMdan

Bronze

Post by URMdan » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:03 pm

CGI Fridays wrote:URMdan, I still haven't seen your... sauseego... please post pics.
Get me clearance from an admin that I can post pictures of my penis online and I will. You must either be a girl who has a boyfriend with a tiny pecker, or a guy with a tiny peesh, if you're this obsessed with my penis size.

CGI Fridays

Silver

Post by CGI Fridays » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:04 pm

URMdan wrote:Get me clearance from an admin that I can post pictures of my penis online and I will. You must either be a girl who has a boyfriend with a tiny pecker, or a guy with a tiny peesh, if you're this obsessed with my penis size.
I'm a blue whale. Male.
Also, you can't post nude pics on the threads, HTH.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JoeShmoe11

Bronze

Post by JoeShmoe11 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:09 am

Uh-oh... just spoke to a teacher about a recommendation yesterday and asked her that she have it sent out by November 10th for Columbia's November 15th ED deadline. Am I gonna find myself in a tough position?

Gold

Post by 094320 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:47 am

jessedvhs

Bronze

Post by jessedvhs » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:39 pm

operaphantom2003 wrote:I have a question about the resume. Not including a job is considered lying by omission (at least from what I have been told) but do they really want every job I have held? On my resume I usually divide my work experience into "Relevant" and "Other Paid Experience" to separate my 15 years of work experience. Many times I held down 2 jobs--1 in retail and 1 in food service so I shift things around as is needed for whatever position I am applying for. I have not had paid work in the past 6 years but have focused on volunteer work, school, and family needs. Do law schools and the bar in the future consider omitting experience as lying? I hate to think that not including every job I have ever had will cause problems in the future.
I wouldn't even go down that path or consider it. However, my advice is to keep some semblance of chronological order.
You are not submitting for a government job or a security clearance, so it's your work of art so to speak. That being said, during the LS application process, I have read/heard nearly identical advice from law admissions (former and current); I have experienced the same advice in private industry from HR reps, JMO recruiters, job coaches, and other recruitment hacks: that any gaps in a resume raise questions (non-starter in a corporate hiring process). They are always going to ask the "Great! But what did you do for the XX months or years in between" question. For gaps in employment, you can always cover yourself with volunteer work, travel/aid overseas, or additional education--I would list it in Education & Training or in an Activities or Additional Experience/Information section. For two simultaneous jobs, I would list the additional position and less important role in Additional Experience and only as one quick bullet point explaining what you did and how you aided the company in meeting their basic goals. You want to keep the position with the most importance (i.e. the one with responsibility, accomplishment, leadership experience, project management) in the WE section. I can PM you mine to get a better idea or take a look at yours. Coming out of the military, I toiled with a two pager for quite some time until really learning how to keep/expand on the relevant stuff and cut out or down play the less-important, “civilianizing” it was another task all to itself. Just get it in your mind that most hiring managers (admissions folks) don’t have the patience or care to look at it for more than 8 seconds. It all boils down to what you are most proud of and conveying it in an action packed, one pager.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:42 pm

JoeShmoe11 wrote:Uh-oh... just spoke to a teacher about a recommendation yesterday and asked her that she have it sent out by November 10th for Columbia's November 15th ED deadline. Am I gonna find myself in a tough position?
lol

I don't know if "tough" is the right word here. You definitely screwed that up. It takes LSAC days, even weeks, to process LORs.*

*Caveat: Unless something has changed since I applied in '08.

Edit: Perhaps she can send a copy directly to Columbia? That seems like your best option.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:55 pm

If the schools accept additional material only directly, by mail, your best option is to send to the school, directly, by mail.

JoeShmoe11

Bronze

Post by JoeShmoe11 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:07 pm

Craaap... placing a call to Columbia's prestigious operators right now.

EDIT: A very nice operator told me that it is fine to send the letter right to them. Guess I should have my teacher make a copy and send two out? I feel bad asking that much of her.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:33 pm

JoeShmoe11 wrote:Craaap... placing a call to Columbia's prestigious operators right now.

EDIT: A very nice operator told me that it is fine to send the letter right to them. Guess I should have my teacher make a copy and send two out? I feel bad asking that much of her.
Make it easy for her by addressing the envelopes, putting the postage on the envelope, and filling out the LSAC form.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:39 pm

JazzOne wrote:
JoeShmoe11 wrote:Craaap... placing a call to Columbia's prestigious operators right now.

Make it easy for her by addressing the envelopes, putting the postage on the envelope, and filling out the LSAC form.
My professors insisted on using school envelopes.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:42 pm

r6_philly wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

Make sticker labels.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:51 pm

paratactical wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

Make sticker labels.
They didn't even take my postage offer. They said the school should pay for it. I guess my department was nice.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:52 pm

r6_philly wrote:
They didn't even take my postage offer. They said the school should pay for it. I guess my department was nice.
Very cool of your profs/school/dept.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:55 pm

paratactical wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
It was a very nice experience all around. I guess I was lucky judging from some others' experiences.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:57 pm

r6_philly wrote:
paratactical wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
It was a very nice experience all around. I guess I was lucky judging from some others' experiences.
Yeah, there have been some real horror stories on here about getting letters in.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:05 pm

paratactical wrote: Yeah, there have been some real horror stories on here about getting letters in.
If they are not friendly anyway, why even bother agreeing to write it... I know some prof. don't really want to recommend you, but then I probably wouldn't want them recommending me. One of my profs. did sound slightly hesitant. I promptly thanked him and sent a thank you card.

gatorlion

Bronze

Post by gatorlion » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:52 pm

FWIW, I submitted both a 2-page resume and a 4-5 page CV with my apps last year. Yes, I had enough to justify both, and no, either one alone would not have told the full story. If anything, I felt that it helped me during the admissions process even though I ultimately decided not to go to law school. If you think you have the material to warrant an unusually long resume or both a resume and CV, feel free to PM me if you have questions on how to include them in your application tactfully.

EDIT: I did not include part time retail work in any of my applications in order to leave room for more important experience. I think the semester I spent working nights at Hollister was not anywhere near as important to mention as my brief stint consulting for the UNDP. With limited space, you have to make judgment calls regarding what you want to convey to the admissions committee.

MissLucky

Silver

Post by MissLucky » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:58 pm

r6_philly wrote:I will post it once again:

Harvard Law School's admission page has 3 sample resumes listed for your reference. The third one has 2 pages.

http://www.law.harvard.edu/prospective/ ... urces.html

I don't know who decides to spread this idea of 1 page resume around. If they want a page limit on something, they will put that on the instructions (like the PS).
the 2page guy doesn't state months, just years - is that okay?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”