Applicant FAQ Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Dany

Diamond

Re: 2011 Applicants FAQ and Questions thread

Post by Dany » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:27 am

eve2490 wrote:Question:
I omitted my being a teaching assistant and a research assistant to make my resume 1 page for most schools, as they are clearly more worthwhile experiences to mention in that space. Should I include the TA and RA positions for those several schools that simply ask for you not to make your resume more than 3 pages? My resume would come out to 1 page and about 4 lines on the 2nd page with those positions.

Also, I received academic credit for these positions as well so I am not sure if the TA and RA will just be clear from my transcript or not.
I think they should definitely be included, however one full page and only four lines on the next looks awkward. Can you absolutely not get it all on one? You can cut line spacing from 1.15 to 1.0, which can save some room, and cutting down any wordiness would help (a good trick someone told me is to remove unnecessary instances of articles). My resume started out as almost a full two pages and my advisor helped me get it to one without removing anything substantive.

If you've already done all of this and cut it down as much as possible, please ignore :)

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:50 pm

kazu wrote:Question:

I know it's a bit early to be thinking of this, but what's "okay" to send as a LOCI? I know people send LORs and Why essays. Would a diversity statement also be okay?
I think a diversity statement would be great. However, I think you should try to include how that school is a great fit for you while at the same time telling them what you'll bring to the school. If that makes sense lol

AriB

New

Post by AriB » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:02 am

i submitted my applications to most schools a 2 weeks ago and i decided to apply to one more school and i realized that i missed a letter in a word i wrote fro instead of from- not sure how i missed it probably because i worked on that specific paragraph a million times. what should i do? will they even notice it because the next word starts with an m if they notice it would they even care? its really eating me up inside

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:07 am

AriB wrote:i submitted my applications to most schools a 2 weeks ago and i decided to apply to one more school and i realized that i missed a letter in a word i wrote fro instead of from- not sure how i missed it probably because i worked on that specific paragraph a million times. what should i do? will they even notice it because the next word starts with an m if they notice it would they even care? its really eating me up inside
I think you will be perfectly fine. Of course we should try as hard as possible to submit apps without typos but shit happens. I doubt the adcomms will even notice it.

Perch

Silver

Post by Perch » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:18 pm

I did not originally include a "Why X" for one of my target schools where I am at the LSAT median and above the 75th for GPA and now am wondering if I should have.

Is it kosher to add a "Why X" a week after submission, but before review? My application is listed as completed so I don't really want to mess with it, but at the same time I fear getting dinged or waitlisted without the "Why X".

To clarify, the school did not offer an optional essay, this would just be an unsolicited extra addendum.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:32 pm

Perch wrote:I did not originally include a "Why X" for one of my target schools where I am at the LSAT median and above the 75th for GPA and now am wondering if I should have.

Is it kosher to add a "Why X" a week after submission, but before review? My application is listed as completed so I don't really want to mess with it, but at the same time I fear getting dinged or waitlisted without the "Why X".

To clarify, the school did not offer an optional essay, this would just be an unsolicited extra addendum.

Thoughts? Thanks!
I did exactly what you described for 3 schools where I am 1-2 points below median lsat and above 75 GPA. being at median/above 75 GPA puts you in a much different boat though, I think you're good for an acceptance sans "Why X", but would go ahead and send one if it's a school you really want.

Perch

Silver

Post by Perch » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:34 pm

Deuce wrote:
Perch wrote:I did not originally include a "Why X" for one of my target schools where I am at the LSAT median and above the 75th for GPA and now am wondering if I should have.

Thoughts? Thanks!
I did exactly what you described for 3 schools where I am 1-2 points below median lsat and above 75 GPA. being at median/above 75 GPA puts you in a much different boat though, I think you're good for an acceptance sans "Why X", but would go ahead and send one if it's a school you really want.

thanks for the advice, I get what you're saying.

anyone else with past experience?

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:58 pm

Perch wrote:thanks for the advice, I get what you're saying.

anyone else with past experience?
In this case I don't think we can give much more advice without knowing what school you're talking about. If its one of the schools that doesn't ask for a Why X but pretty much needs one in order to not waitlist you then yeah you should write one. If not then its just up to you whether you want to write it. I doubt it would look bad. Also, if you do get waitlisted then you can send a Why X as an LOCI.

Perch

Silver

Post by Perch » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:17 am

edit.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

happyshapy

Bronze

Post by happyshapy » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:29 am

Question about sending in apps.

I'm using LSACs online application for every school just to make it easier. I don't have an LSAT score, taking it in december, but my applications are complete otherwise. I heard from Berkeley admissions that you should apply before your scores come in to hold a spot in line and then they will review your apps when they get your score right away. My question is...do most schools do this? And if they do, how can I send my apps through LSAC without a LSAT score?

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 am

happyshapy wrote:Question about sending in apps.

I'm using LSACs online application for every school just to make it easier. I don't have an LSAT score, taking it in december, but my applications are complete otherwise. I heard from Berkeley admissions that you should apply before your scores come in to hold a spot in line and then they will review your apps when they get your score right away. My question is...do most schools do this? And if they do, how can I send my apps through LSAC without a LSAT score?
You just press submit and then once you have an LSAT score LSAC sends your report to the schools.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:18 pm

Crap. Just realized I didn't assign LORs to a school. Assuming I added them just now, will they be forwarded tomorrow?

Gold

Post by 094320 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:11 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:11 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
firemedicprelaw wrote:Crap. Just realized I didn't assign LORs to a school. Assuming I added them just now, will they be forwarded tomorrow?
Add now.
done already... will they be forwarded tomorrow?

ETA: Just noted your ninja edit. Outstanding job... thanks for the advice... luckily I only hit submit on Monday, so it isn't like I was already complete there, thank gawd.

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:17 pm

They're fast with generating new reports. You'll be fine, firemed :-) Deep breaths.

minster

New

Post by minster » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:36 pm

ok sorry this might be a stupid question but...
where can i get the topic to personal statement? I was looking through the lsac apply section and i couldn't find anywhere regarding where to write the personal statement nor the topic of personal statement. I am completely new to this application process, can anyone help? :(

Also as for the diversity program, what kind of things can you write in there? Can you write about how you were an aspiring musician and had minor experience with music industry count?

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:22 am

minster wrote:ok sorry this might be a stupid question but...
where can i get the topic to personal statement? I was looking through the lsac apply section and i couldn't find anywhere regarding where to write the personal statement nor the topic of personal statement. I am completely new to this application process, can anyone help? :(

Also as for the diversity program, what kind of things can you write in there? Can you write about how you were an aspiring musician and had minor experience with music industry count?
You will be able to attach word documents (personal statement, resume, any additional essays etc) when submitting your apps. It will be under "upload additional documents". Specifics on the personal statement - format, length limit, topic etc - are usually in each school's instructions that you can access through LSAC when you open the school's application, or in the app itself.

I'm not sure what you mean by "diversity program". I think generally people think of racial or socioeconomic background for their diversity essays. You "can" write about your musical background if you want, but I don't know if the adcomms will consider that as valuable diversity which will add to the class. This is my personal opinion though, other people might think differently.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

minster

New

Post by minster » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:12 pm

ah~ i see. thanks!
so for essays, is it only personal statement we need to write or is there more essays we need to write???
like in high school we had to write, one long one and one short one. For law, do we just turn in personal statement?

(once again i m totally new so i know my questions are stupid.. :( )

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:16 pm

minster wrote:ah~ i see. thanks!
so for essays, is it only personal statement we need to write or is there more essays we need to write???
like in high school we had to write, one long one and one short one. For law, do we just turn in personal statement?

This is completely dependent upon the schools you are applying to. Some schools give other optional essays that you can write if you want and others ask for specific supplemental essays that you have to write. Some have neither.
Last edited by Pleasye on Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

newbienew

New

Post by newbienew » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:56 pm

Hi everybody, I was deferred from Cornell's early action pool today (3.5/174), and got an e-mail including this line:

"Your application will be considered again after our February 1st deadline for regular admission applications."

Does anyone know if this is definitely true? Is there no chance I'll hear anything before February 1st? Thanks in advance for any help!

PS - Yes, I plan to submit an LOCI. I'm already composing it.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:17 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lakerfanimal

Bronze

Post by lakerfanimal » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:05 pm

Random question, hopefully someone has the knowledge to help.

I graduated this past june and my transcripts processed fine, but Columbia won't let me go complete until they get a final transcript with my degree conferment date. If I go complete at other schools, do you think I need to send an updated transcript in still? (I'm leaning no because they said I'm complete, whereas Columbia said I'm not).

Thanks!

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:07 pm

minster wrote:ah~ i see. thanks!

For most schools, all you need is a personal statement. Some schools have required and optional essays. Most schools also accept a diversity statement, which is basically an essay about what your unique experiences, background, or upbringing can contribute to the law school class.

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:41 am

lakerfanimal wrote:Random question, hopefully someone has the knowledge to help.

I graduated this past june and my transcripts processed fine, but Columbia won't let me go complete until they get a final transcript with my degree conferment date. If I go complete at other schools, do you think I need to send an updated transcript in still? (I'm leaning no because they said I'm complete, whereas Columbia said I'm not).

Thanks!
Did the first transcript you sent in have all of your classes/grades you've taken and earned (ever)? If so, then no, I don't think you have to send another one in. If the one you sent in is missing classes then yeah, you do.

lakerfanimal

Bronze

Post by lakerfanimal » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:15 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:
lakerfanimal wrote:Random question, hopefully someone has the knowledge to help.

Thanks!
Did the first transcript you sent in have all of your classes/grades you've taken and earned (ever)? If so, then no, I don't think you have to send another one in. If the one you sent in is missing classes then yeah, you do.
Alright thanks! It had all my classes, but I called LSAC and the guy said Columbia is very particular about that, every other school let me go complete.. I'll have gone from being complete in october to january now, :?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”