Applicant FAQ Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Applicant FAQ

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:09 pm

mpelc005 wrote:Hey everyone!!

I'm about to send my law school applications and I seem to encounter some sort of technical problem on LSAC website. I'm sure it's just something stupid I need to do so it works, but I've been wandering around the website for 20 mins. and still can't figure it out so I figured the best to do was come here and ask around.

So all of my applications questionnaires are complete, my LORs and transcripts are received, I've paid for CAS, etc. Everything is fine. But when I want to go and pay for the application fees, I just can't click on the continue button.

(it looks like that: http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s38 ... acform.jpg)

How do I get to pay the fees and complete my application submission?

Thanks everyone, any help would be greatly appreciated!
I know the system has changed a lot since last year when I was applying, but then I think you had to preview each application before you could submit it and pay. Maybe it's the same now.

mpelc005

New

Post by mpelc005 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:14 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
mpelc005 wrote:Hey everyone!!

I'm about to send my law school applications and I seem to encounter some sort of technical problem on LSAC website. I'm sure it's just something stupid I need to do so it works, but I've been wandering around the website for 20 mins. and still can't figure it out so I figured the best to do was come here and ask around.

So all of my applications questionnaires are complete, my LORs and transcripts are received, I've paid for CAS, etc. Everything is fine. But when I want to go and pay for the application fees, I just can't click on the continue button.

(it looks like that: http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s38 ... acform.jpg)

How do I get to pay the fees and complete my application submission?

Thanks everyone, any help would be greatly appreciated!
I know the system has changed a lot since last year when I was applying, but then I think you had to preview each application before you could submit it and pay. Maybe it's the same now.
You're right! Omg i feel stupid now. It was obvious. Thanks!

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:37 am

tag

doclover

New

Post by doclover » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:18 pm

I'm losing patience... where is the LSAC form that you have to mail in with transcript requests? Can't find it on my LSAC account, can't find it with a google search... of course, it's possible that I'm blind. :roll:

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:24 pm

doclover wrote:I'm losing patience... where is the LSAC form that you have to mail in with transcript requests? Can't find it on my LSAC account, can't find it with a google search... of course, it's possible that I'm blind. :roll:
You have to enter all your attended institutions. Then there's a link to download the PDF of the form for each one.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

doclover

New

Post by doclover » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:45 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
doclover wrote:I'm losing patience... where is the LSAC form that you have to mail in with transcript requests? Can't find it on my LSAC account, can't find it with a google search... of course, it's possible that I'm blind. :roll:
You have to enter all your attended institutions. Then there's a link to download the PDF of the form for each one.
Found it - you saved me. Thanks!

jhd125

New

Post by jhd125 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:47 pm

This may seem like an obvious question but I'm just wondering...if both your GPA and LSAT scores fall within the schools range of acceptance..are you pretty much guaranteed an acceptance? I mean all I hear is that numbers mean everything so is it a pretty black/white process?

Jaqen

Silver

Post by Jaqen » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:37 am

jhd125 wrote:This may seem like an obvious question but I'm just wondering...if both your GPA and LSAT scores fall within the schools range of acceptance..are you pretty much guaranteed an acceptance? I mean all I hear is that numbers mean everything so is it a pretty black/white process?
Most of the time. But some schools yield protect, which is when a school waitlists candidates with numbers well above their medians thinking the applicants will choose a higher ranked school. Some schools do seem to take a holistic approach, also: Yale, Stanford, and Boalt come to mind. Northwestern likes work experience. etc.

But for the most part, you're correct.

jhd125

New

Post by jhd125 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:15 am

Could someone also explain the LOR process? Each of my recommenders needs a form from LSAC, correct? Then they send it directly to LSAC? How do I "assign" the letters? And can your evaluator and recommender be the same person?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:21 am

jhd125 wrote: Each of my recommenders needs a form from LSAC, correct?
Then they send it directly to LSAC?
And can your evaluator and recommender be the same person?
Yes, yes, yes. Evaluations are meaningless. To be nice, you should provide your recommenders with an addressed stamped envelope, if you can.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:23 am

Im going to be stressing so hard that everyone is on apps and I'm retaking Oct....

jhd125

New

Post by jhd125 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:35 am

is there a way to save the LOR form and email it as an attachment to my recommender? Or do i need to print it and mail it to them?

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:06 pm

jhd125 wrote:is there a way to save the LOR form and email it as an attachment to my recommender? Or do i need to print it and mail it to them?
Pretty sure you need to sign it, so you'd have to print, sign, scan, and email.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:48 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
jhd125 wrote:is there a way to save the LOR form and email it as an attachment to my recommender? Or do i need to print it and mail it to them?
This tripped me up, but the applicant does not actually have to sign it. You only sign it if you are voluntarily waiving your right to retrieve the letter and read it. Read the form closely above the applicant signature line.

lawyer training right here

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:44 pm

helix23 wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:
This tripped me up, but the applicant does not actually have to sign it. You only sign it if you are voluntarily waiving your right to retrieve the letter and read it. Read the form closely above the applicant signature line.

you should voluntarily waive your rights - if you don't the adcoms will take it into account (a recommender might not give an honest description if s/he thinks you might read it in the future)

Also, if you attach your signature electronically, then you don't need to print it.

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:48 pm

dingbat wrote:
helix23 wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:

you should voluntarily waive your rights - if you don't the adcoms will take it into account (a recommender might not give an honest description if s/he thinks you might read it in the future)

Also, if you attach your signature electronically, then you don't need to print it.
Sorry, this doesn't really make any sense. If your recommender would give a dishonest recommendation based on the possibility that you may read the letter in the future, you should probably not be using that recommender. If you have a legitimate connection with a professor or employer who knows your character and capabilities, their recommendation should be the same regardless of whether you can see the letter in the future or not.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:11 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:44 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
helix23 wrote:
Sorry, this doesn't really make any sense. If your recommender would give a dishonest recommendation based on the possibility that you may read the letter in the future, you should probably not be using that recommender. If you have a legitimate connection with a professor or employer who knows your character and capabilities, their recommendation should be the same regardless of whether you can see the letter in the future or not.
Admissions officers for both undergrad and law school readily admit that they don't give as much weight to LOR that aren't waived. It's standard for people to waive it and looks weird if you don't. Not everybody has strong recommenders. I've talked to people who have sifted through clerkship apps who have told me that MANY profs throw the people they are writing the LOR for under the bus.
You've talked to admissions officers on this issue?

And if your LOR says you're a POS, probably doesn't matter if you waived it or not.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:48 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
helix23 wrote:
Admissions officers for both undergrad and law school readily admit that they don't give as much weight to LOR that aren't waived. It's standard for people to waive it and looks weird if you don't. Not everybody has strong recommenders. I've talked to people who have sifted through clerkship apps who have told me that MANY profs throw the people they are writing the LOR for under the bus.
Doesn't that just mean they're giving an honest description of the person's capabilities?
It sucks, but I wouldn't lie about someone's capabilities (or attitude) - though I would suggest to him/her that they find another recommender (no recommendation > bad recommendation > undeserved recommendation)

Gold

Post by 094320 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:16 pm

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:50 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
helix23 wrote:
You've talked to admissions officers on this issue?

And if your LOR says you're a POS, probably doesn't matter if you waived it or not.
I've seen the question asked to them in panels, yes. I've read a lot of interviews, etc. They are suspicious of unwaived LOR. The logic is backwards. If your LOR says you're great---it's better to have waived it because then the adcoms trust it. If you're confident it's good, then you should waive it.
Thanks for the info. I think it's silly that voluntarily waving your right to see it makes the recommendation trustworthy. How does my wanting to see what my professor said about me at a later date make the letter suspicious? You'd only waive it if you told your recommender what to write and proofread it :lol: seems more suspicious to me. Or is the reason that they think the recommender will see that you haven't waived it and then write a dishonest letter so as not to displease you later when you read it? ROFL, all tenured, PHD professors would be worried about that... :roll:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ex Cearulo

Bronze

Post by Ex Cearulo » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:18 pm

Background: 6+ years Active Duty Air Force, current A-10 pilot with one tour in Afghanistan and 300+ combat hrs; looking to transition to the JAG corps. Taking the Oct LSAT and applying this cycle.

I also posted this question in the Military Veterans thread, but also wanted to post here to have the rest of the masses take a look, in case anyone had a similar experience but in a different career field. Figured most people didn't bother with the Mil Vet thread. Thanks in advance for any help!!

Question: To what lengths should I go to "dumb down" my resume and personal statement to make it easier for Admissions Committees to understand what I have done and currently do? While I'm sure they get a handful of military veterans applying each cycle, I find it hard to believe that they'll understand all the acronyms like TIC, PRI, SELO, BEANO, SOF, UDM, blah blah blah. And even if I write out all the acronyms, I worry they still won't know what it means. Same for other things like "4-ship flight lead".

I guess I'm just worried about how to capture all the experience I've had over the last 6+ years, most of which will be very unique to an ad comm, without being too patronizing and/or making my resume and personal statement way too long with explanations. Appreciate any advice you all have!

-HD

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:16 pm

HawgDriver wrote:Background: 6+ years Active Duty Air Force, current A-10 pilot with one tour in Afghanistan and 300+ combat hrs; looking to transition to the JAG corps. Taking the Oct LSAT and applying this cycle.

I also posted this question in the Military Veterans thread, but also wanted to post here to have the rest of the masses take a look, in case anyone had a similar experience but in a different career field. Figured most people didn't bother with the Mil Vet thread. Thanks in advance for any help!!

Question: To what lengths should I go to "dumb down" my resume and personal statement to make it easier for Admissions Committees to understand what I have done and currently do? While I'm sure they get a handful of military veterans applying each cycle, I find it hard to believe that they'll understand all the acronyms like TIC, PRI, SELO, BEANO, SOF, UDM, blah blah blah. And even if I write out all the acronyms, I worry they still won't know what it means. Same for other things like "4-ship flight lead".

I guess I'm just worried about how to capture all the experience I've had over the last 6+ years, most of which will be very unique to an ad comm, without being too patronizing and/or making my resume and personal statement way too long with explanations. Appreciate any advice you all have!

-HD
You need to dumb the military speak WAY down. Use layman's terms, not acronyms or slang you only hear from fellow soldiers and vets. Have people read it to make sure you're not unintentionally using too much jargon. Post it in the PS forum here for TLSers from a wide range of backgrounds to comment on it.

ciccione99

New

Post by ciccione99 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:15 pm

Moved to a more active area.

giltzer14

New

Post by giltzer14 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:58 pm

In regards to submitting an application when you are planning on retaking (submitting my application my October LSAT score arrives.....possible retake LSAT in December):

Is there any advantage in submitting the application in late october and then telling the school to hold off until the second score arrives? Or is this virtually identical to just submitting your application once the second score arrives?

Hopefully I won't have to deal with this situation, but seems like a good thing to know.

Thanks...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”