How valued is having a job while in undergrad to law schools Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
M.M.

Bronze

Re: How valued is having a job while in undergrad to law schools

Post by M.M. » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:29 pm

Tsispilos wrote:OP:

In American life, some people will have monetary advantages over you--if you don't like that, find a more egalitarian country. Wealthier people will have a leg up on you academically, will not have to be nice in order to have friends (they can just throw a party and people will be friends with them), will find it easier to lure attractive members of the opposite sex into their beds, and will generally not have the same day to day worries as you.

But I can tell you from having grown up under communism, that egalitarianism definitely a whole lot less fun: instead of a country with winners and losers, everyone got the default card of being a loser and there was nothing you could do about it.

I moved to America so that one day I could be a winner. Remove the stick from your ass and compete.

Remove the stick from your ass and compete ... what do you think I'm doing ? If competing isn't what I'm doing I don't know what is. If I wanted everything to be equal why would I even want to get into law school in the first place ?

Oh and whoever said I'm unaware of memes, I clearly posted in the first page recognition of the u mad meme, and you're unaware different forums use different multiquote features ... seriously, don't be an idiot. Read the thread.

To the rest who replied: thanks for the concern about my attitude but it's pretty obvious most of you take pleasure in condescending just for the sake of it. I mean it's easy to see why people would be so self righteous on a law forum but I really, truly don't care what you have to say. Again you can keep on typing and I can keep on letting you bump my thread, it works well for me this way.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:34 pm

M.M. wrote:
Tsispilos wrote:OP:

In American life, some people will have monetary advantages over you--if you don't like that, find a more egalitarian country. Wealthier people will have a leg up on you academically, will not have to be nice in order to have friends (they can just throw a party and people will be friends with them), will find it easier to lure attractive members of the opposite sex into their beds, and will generally not have the same day to day worries as you.

But I can tell you from having grown up under communism, that egalitarianism definitely a whole lot less fun: instead of a country with winners and losers, everyone got the default card of being a loser and there was nothing you could do about it.

I moved to America so that one day I could be a winner. Remove the stick from your ass and compete.

Remove the stick from your ass and compete ... what do you think I'm doing ? If competing isn't what I'm doing I don't know what is. If I wanted everything to be equal why would I even want to get into law school in the first place ?

Oh and whoever said I'm unaware of memes, I clearly posted in the first page recognition of the u mad meme, and you're unaware different forums use different multiquote features ... seriously, don't be an idiot. Read the thread.

To the rest who replied: thanks for the concern about my attitude but it's pretty obvious most of you take pleasure in condescending just for the sake of it. I mean it's easy to see why people would be so self righteous on a law forum but I really, truly don't care what you have to say. Again you can keep on typing and I can keep on letting you bump my thread, it works well for me this way.
(I'm actually a big douche bag)
Fixed.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:34 pm

We need a stop feeding the troll pic.

ShuckingNotJiving

Bronze

Post by ShuckingNotJiving » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:26 am

I am currently a sophomore
So, he's like 19. 20, at most? we all remember what's that like? to, you know, mistake knowing nothing for knowing everything? (unless of course evryone on here is 19, in which case i will see myself to the oldies corner) in dealing with younguns it's better to patronize softly than to overtly condescend

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:29 am

ShuckingNotJiving wrote:
I am currently a sophomore
So, he's like 19. 20, at most? we all remember what's that like? to, you know, mistake knowing nothing for knowing everything? (unless of course evryone on here is 19, in which case i will see myself to the oldies corner) in dealing with younguns it's better to patronize softly than to overtly condescend
Eh, I don't remember being that much of an idiot. It's also better just to shoot young ones, especially ones like these.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:32 am

I'll do it, Pa.

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:57 am

M.M. wrote:
czelede wrote:Law schools don't care if you worked during the school year (in that if you did, it's really just a "soft" factor more than anything, but they don't view it as any sort of necessity). You will not gain entrance to anywhere your numbers wouldn't have taken you because you worked in undergrad, and you will not be precluded from attending schools your numbers qualify you for because you didn't.

Just focus on doing the best you can and getting the best LSAT score you can (way more important than undergrad WE and generally a little more important than grades).

For the record, you sound a little bitter about working 15-25 hours a week. But the fact of the matter is, a lot of people paid their way through college. A lot of people have extenuating circumstances which affect their capacity to perform at their maximum potential during undergrad (illnesses, family issues, etc.) A lot of people have spent just as much time as you during school doing internships for credit or pursuing rigorous double major programs. They were capable of managing their academics throughout. And a lot of these people are also applying to the law schools you seek entrance to (in addition to the "trust fund babies").

I'm bitter because I'm surrounded by idiots who squander their parents money while I get none, while I aspire to superiority and they to mediocrity but the resources to do each are given to the wrong people entirely. I'm bitter because I've spent the last two years working my ass off while everyone partied every night, while I studied and trained (I play[ed] a sport as well, well not any more as I basically broke my neck). I'm bitter because my parents, who I love to death and would never act ungrateful to and have always treated nicely, are applying their miserable middle class values to my life. That is, they want me to "learn the value of a dollar" but at the cost of my chance to make something truly great of myself. The difference between me and the people who have to pay their way, largely, is that their parents probably couldn't afford to help them through school. Mine can and are not. I'm bitter because while all my peers are driving nice cars and spending money abundantly without working, I'm surviving on tattered hand me down crap.

But I use this bitterness to fuel me ... because while my lack of money right now is abysmal, it'll be nothing compared to the joy I'll obtain from becoming much more than anyone ever expected of me. These are my reasons, and I have enough experience on forums (though not of this type) to know that you all will continue to condescend or at least comment on my bitterness.

Thanks for the help regarding the effects of having a job on admission, looks like it's going to be tough .. whatever. I'll do the best I can
Boo hoo princess. At least be grateful that your parents can provide for themselves. I would assume that their not paying for your college would have helped you build some moral character, but I guess not. At least your parents had enough to care for themselves, even if they didnt give you large sums of cash.

Go talk to some students who had to work to care for themselves AND support their parents/siblings and then reassess your situation. They will think that you sound like the very "spoiled" brats you are so bitter at.

Sentry

Silver

Post by Sentry » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:58 am

--ImageRemoved--

manyu

New

Post by manyu » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:06 pm

czelede wrote:Law schools don't care if you worked during the school year (in that if you did, it's really just a "soft" factor more than anything, but they don't view it as any sort of necessity). You will not gain entrance to anywhere your numbers wouldn't have taken you because you worked in undergrad, and you will not be precluded from attending schools your numbers qualify you for because you didn't.

Just focus on doing the best you can and getting the best LSAT score you can (way more important than undergrad WE and generally a little more important than grades).

For the record, you sound a little bitter about working 15-25 hours a week. But the fact of the matter is, a lot of people paid their way through college. A lot of people have extenuating circumstances which affect their capacity to perform at their maximum potential during undergrad (illnesses, family issues, etc.) A lot of people have spent just as much time as you during school doing internships for credit or pursuing rigorous double major programs. They were capable of managing their academics throughout. And a lot of these people are also applying to the law schools you seek entrance to (in addition to the "trust fund babies").
For the record, for credit internships are total BS. You are paying the school to allow you to work for free for someone else. And generally speaking, for credit internships are worthless and you'll likely get an A for an evaluation which will bump your GPA, not hurt it. Respectable schools don't offer for credit internships.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

M.M.

Bronze

Post by M.M. » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:38 am

You guys done stroking your E cocks yet ? LOL at "you're lucky you didn't have to support your parents and siblings while going to college!"

Seriously, wow.

Fark-o-vision

Silver

Post by Fark-o-vision » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:44 am

Thread Bump after raping= Troll. Who would have known?

M.M.

Bronze

Post by M.M. » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:05 pm

Fark-o-vision wrote:Thread Bump after raping= Troll. Who would have known?
Or, perhaps, I really don't care about the raping that's been done here.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:29 pm

M.M. wrote:
Fark-o-vision wrote:Thread Bump after raping= Troll. Who would have known?
Or, perhaps, I really don't care about the raping that's been done here.
QFmasochism

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nalls96

New

Post by nalls96 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:02 pm

I know this post has been made years ago but I stumbled on it and felt compelled to post. I do not understand the entitlement attitude. So many people have it SO MUCH WORSE. There are literally people who live in tents and your mad about the 15 hours you worked?

I worked 40 hours a week EVERY year of undergrad and still managed to graduate with a double major and a minor in three years. Taking about 6-7 classes a semester. I lived in a recreational vehicle in order to be able to pay for tuition. I am grateful for the experience because it really puts every thing in perspective. I am grateful because my parents worked 3 jobs for the majority of my childhood and still couldn't afford to pay for a baby sitter. And now I will be better off than them. And I understand I have it sooo much better than a lot of other people.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:09 pm

This was a dumb necro. You need to improve your posting significantly. Fast.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:18 pm

nalls96 wrote:I know this post has been made years ago but I stumbled on it and felt compelled to post. I do not understand the entitlement attitude. So many people have it SO MUCH WORSE. There are literally people who live in tents and your mad about the 15 hours you worked?

I worked 40 hours a week EVERY year of undergrad and still managed to graduate with a double major and a minor in three years. Taking about 6-7 classes a semester. I lived in a recreational vehicle in order to be able to pay for tuition. I am grateful for the experience because it really puts every thing in perspective. I am grateful because my parents worked 3 jobs for the majority of my childhood and still couldn't afford to pay for a baby sitter. And now I will be better off than them. And I understand I have it sooo much better than a lot of other people.
You should remove your actual photo from your profile. This is not facebook.

nalls96

New

Post by nalls96 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:55 am

Nebby wrote:
nalls96 wrote:I know this post has been made years ago but I stumbled on it and felt compelled to post. I do not understand the entitlement attitude. So many people have it SO MUCH WORSE. There are literally people who live in tents and your mad about the 15 hours you worked?

You should remove your actual photo from your profile. This is not facebook.
Lmao. Wow, I wish I could have no life like you and get upset about dumb things too ;-)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dytmomx3

New

Post by dytmomx3 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:41 pm

Dang girl!!! I have 3 kids and had to work through undergrad. I started it in my mid 20s. My kids are 5 and under. And would you believe it they didn't help me, I had to continue to work 40 hour weeks to support them and myself through school. My kids sound like your parents. Least these peeps could do is help put dinner on the table or pay the tuition bill. Everyone's out partying at bars while I'm partying at Chuck E Cheese. Look kid, bitterness keeps you from flying. It's not fueling your motivation, bitterness isn't found at the pump, it's heavy dirty nasty manure that only keeps you from your potential. Go study for the LSAT. Go volunteer at a soup kitchen. Learn to appreciate what you have. God forbid your parents try to teach you the value of a dollar, what on earth has gotten into their heads? I suggest reassessing your perspective. Some people slept under a bridge last night. Don't be so envious of others. It's is wasted energy.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”