How valued is having a job while in undergrad to law schools Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
M.M.

Bronze

How valued is having a job while in undergrad to law schools

Post by M.M. » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:33 pm

I am currently a sophomore with about a 3.6 average, trying to get it into the 3.8 range. However, unlike many of my peers and unlike many of the pampered trust fund babies that probably attend the top law schools I seek to get into, I have been given no money from my parents (ok, a truly negligible amount) and have to work my way through college. I'm only working part time however, 15-25 hours a week.

I was considering saving all I can and living scarcely so that I may quit my job and be able to apply more of my time to school and less to working for this ridiculous paupers' pay. However, if law schools value the necessity to keep a job at all and weigh your chances of getting in accordingly, it'd make it easier on me simply to continue working.

I'm new at this forum, so excuse me if this is the wrong place or this is a frequently asked question.

Also: my parents are somewhat middle class, neither has taken any college at all ... not sure how to gauge their pay scale for you guys, but if their pay scale is applicable is there a way I can make it clear they barely gave me any money?

czelede

Silver

Re: How valued is having a job while in undergrad to law schools

Post by czelede » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:45 pm

Law schools don't care if you worked during the school year (in that if you did, it's really just a "soft" factor more than anything, but they don't view it as any sort of necessity). You will not gain entrance to anywhere your numbers wouldn't have taken you because you worked in undergrad, and you will not be precluded from attending schools your numbers qualify you for because you didn't.

Just focus on doing the best you can and getting the best LSAT score you can (way more important than undergrad WE and generally a little more important than grades).

For the record, you sound a little bitter about working 15-25 hours a week. But the fact of the matter is, a lot of people paid their way through college. A lot of people have extenuating circumstances which affect their capacity to perform at their maximum potential during undergrad (illnesses, family issues, etc.) A lot of people have spent just as much time as you during school doing internships for credit or pursuing rigorous double major programs. They were capable of managing their academics throughout. And a lot of these people are also applying to the law schools you seek entrance to (in addition to the "trust fund babies").

M.M.

Bronze

Post by M.M. » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:03 pm

czelede wrote:Law schools don't care if you worked during the school year (in that if you did, it's really just a "soft" factor more than anything, but they don't view it as any sort of necessity). You will not gain entrance to anywhere your numbers wouldn't have taken you because you worked in undergrad, and you will not be precluded from attending schools your numbers qualify you for because you didn't.

Just focus on doing the best you can and getting the best LSAT score you can (way more important than undergrad WE and generally a little more important than grades).

For the record, you sound a little bitter about working 15-25 hours a week. But the fact of the matter is, a lot of people paid their way through college. A lot of people have extenuating circumstances which affect their capacity to perform at their maximum potential during undergrad (illnesses, family issues, etc.) A lot of people have spent just as much time as you during school doing internships for credit or pursuing rigorous double major programs. They were capable of managing their academics throughout. And a lot of these people are also applying to the law schools you seek entrance to (in addition to the "trust fund babies").

I'm bitter because I'm surrounded by idiots who squander their parents money while I get none, while I aspire to superiority and they to mediocrity but the resources to do each are given to the wrong people entirely. I'm bitter because I've spent the last two years working my ass off while everyone partied every night, while I studied and trained (I play[ed] a sport as well, well not any more as I basically broke my neck). I'm bitter because my parents, who I love to death and would never act ungrateful to and have always treated nicely, are applying their miserable middle class values to my life. That is, they want me to "learn the value of a dollar" but at the cost of my chance to make something truly great of myself. The difference between me and the people who have to pay their way, largely, is that their parents probably couldn't afford to help them through school. Mine can and are not. I'm bitter because while all my peers are driving nice cars and spending money abundantly without working, I'm surviving on tattered hand me down crap.

But I use this bitterness to fuel me ... because while my lack of money right now is abysmal, it'll be nothing compared to the joy I'll obtain from becoming much more than anyone ever expected of me. These are my reasons, and I have enough experience on forums (though not of this type) to know that you all will continue to condescend or at least comment on my bitterness.

Thanks for the help regarding the effects of having a job on admission, looks like it's going to be tough .. whatever. I'll do the best I can

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:05 pm

M.M. wrote:
czelede wrote:Law schools don't care if you worked during the school year (in that if you did, it's really just a "soft" factor more than anything, but they don't view it as any sort of necessity). You will not gain entrance to anywhere your numbers wouldn't have taken you because you worked in undergrad, and you will not be precluded from attending schools your numbers qualify you for because you didn't.

I'm bitter because I'm surrounded by idiots who squander their parents money while I get none, while I aspire to superiority and they to mediocrity but the resources to do each are given to the wrong people entirely. I'm bitter because I've spent the last two years working my ass off while everyone partied every night, while I studied and trained (I play[ed] a sport as well, well not any more as I basically broke my neck). I'm bitter because my parents, who I love to death and would never act ungrateful to and have always treated nicely, are applying their miserable middle class values to my life. That is, they want me to "learn the value of a dollar" but at the cost of my chance to make something truly great of myself. The difference between me and the people who have to pay their way, largely, is that their parents probably couldn't afford to help them through school. Mine can and are not. I'm bitter because while all my peers are driving nice cars and spending money abundantly without working, I'm surviving on tattered hand me down crap.

But I use this bitterness to fuel me ... because while my lack of money right now is abysmal, it'll be nothing compared to the joy I'll obtain from becoming much more than anyone ever expected of me. These are my reasons, and I have enough experience on forums (though not of this type) to know that you all will continue to condescend or at least comment on my bitterness.

Thanks for the help regarding the effects of having a job on admission, looks like it's going to be tough .. whatever. I'll do the best I can
U mad?

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:05 pm

M.M. wrote:

Someone has issues...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hijodehombre

Bronze

Post by hijodehombre » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:07 pm

That's the right attitude: channel that bitterness into motivation. The fact that you worked through your undergrad will matter when comparing you to those with similar numbers who didn't.

Sentry

Silver

Post by Sentry » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:08 pm

Ildeuce wrote:
M.M. wrote:

U mad?
--ImageRemoved--

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:09 pm

Go to a state school and take out loans. I know plenty of people who work way more than 20 hours a week, paid their way through college, and pay for the nice car they drive as well as every other bill down to the cell phone. I understand its not the greatest situation but you are really blowing it out of proportion and I only say this because if you project this bitterness through you application (PS or DS) I think you might do yourself a disservice.

M.M.

Bronze

Post by M.M. » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:11 pm

Ildeuce wrote:
M.M. wrote:

LOL wut I didn't expect to see miscers here ... unless the "u mad" meme has even permeated law school forums ... wtf ?

U mad?

LOL I didn't know miscers were here ... unless the u mad meme has permeated even this forum ... you guys miscers?

Edit: Damn at all the replies I'll get back to you guys when I get out of class I didn't expect people to reply at all yet let alone this fast.
Last edited by M.M. on Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:11 pm

My image of OP:

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:12 pm

bk187 wrote:My image of OP:

TITCR!

St.Remy

Silver

Post by St.Remy » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:12 pm

M.M. wrote: I'm bitter because I'm surrounded by idiots who squander their parents money while I get none, while I aspire to superiority and they to mediocrity but the resources to do each are given to the wrong people entirely. I'm bitter because I've spent the last two years working my ass off while everyone partied every night, while I studied and trained (I play[ed] a sport as well, well not any more as I basically broke my neck). I'm bitter because my parents, who I love to death and would never act ungrateful to and have always treated nicely, are applying their miserable middle class values to my life. That is, they want me to "learn the value of a dollar" but at the cost of my chance to make something truly great of myself. The difference between me and the people who have to pay their way, largely, is that their parents probably couldn't afford to help them through school. Mine can and are not. I'm bitter because while all my peers are driving nice cars and spending money abundantly without working, I'm surviving on tattered hand me down crap.

You sound like the servant who used to bring my morning caviar. Pish-posh! Now excuse me while I go nap on my bed made of trust fund money.

StrictlyLiable

Bronze

Post by StrictlyLiable » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:13 pm

I imagine it would negligibly help more than hurt.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:14 pm

M.M. wrote:LOL I didn't know miscers were here ... unless the u mad meme has permeated even this forum ... you guys miscers?

Edit: Damn at all the replies I'll get back to you guys when I get out of class I didn't expect people to reply at all yet let alone this fast.
Really you called us miscers?

First off, all memes have permeated every single tube of the internets. And secondly, stupid posts get responded to with memes and snark.

Fark-o-vision

Silver

Post by Fark-o-vision » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:18 pm

M.M. wrote:I am currently a sophomore with about a 3.6 average, trying to get it into the 3.8 range. However, unlike many of my peers and unlike many of the pampered trust fund babies that probably attend the top law schools I seek to get into, I have been given no money from my parents (ok, a truly negligible amount) and have to work my way through college. I'm only working part time however, 15-25 hours a week.

I was considering saving all I can and living scarcely so that I may quit my job and be able to apply more of my time to school and less to working for this ridiculous paupers' pay. However, if law schools value the necessity to keep a job at all and weigh your chances of getting in accordingly, it'd make it easier on me simply to continue working.

I'm new at this forum, so excuse me if this is the wrong place or this is a frequently asked question.

Also: my parents are somewhat middle class, neither has taken any college at all ... not sure how to gauge their pay scale for you guys, but if their pay scale is applicable is there a way I can make it clear they barely gave me any money?
The beautiful part of this is that people with this complaint inevitably just wish they could party every night, drive nice cars, and wear fancy clothes. It's truly addling that the hypocrisy in this whine isn't evident to the author.

Not that I don't relate. I worked a lot in college, usually saved what I thought was a sufficient amount and then quit, only to join in on the nice things and partying. Inevitably I'd go back to work. Was I jealous of the kids who didn't have to? Of course, although at my undergrad a student who didn't hold down even a fifteen hour job was rare. I don't blame them, though. I blame Johnny Walker. That bastard got thousands of dollars from me.
Last edited by Fark-o-vision on Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:19 pm

M.M. wrote:
Ildeuce wrote:
M.M. wrote:

LOL wut I didn't expect to see miscers here ... unless the "u mad" meme has even permeated law school forums ... wtf ?

U mad?

LOL I didn't know miscers were here ... unless the u mad meme has permeated even this forum ... you guys miscers?

What's a miscer?

I read the first line or two, realized the rest wasn't worth my time, and simply decided that U is mad.

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:19 pm

bk187 wrote:
Really you called us miscers?

First off, all memes have permeated every single tube of the internets. And secondly, stupid posts get responded to with memes and snark.
Snark is not allowed.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:20 pm

P.S. I do understand where your coming from though, my dad bought me a porsche then told me I had to pay for gas. So I completely understand, I had to get a job working 15 hours a week and it completely fucked up my partying schedule. Life's tough bro.

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:20 pm

M.M. wrote:

You just sound a little entitled, is all. I know your situation isn't exactly ideal, but I think you fail to understand exactly how many people there are out there that are in similar or worse situations and overcome them without acting like they deserve to be bailed out by their parents.

Also, as an aerospace engineer with a lot of friends that were business/sociology/communications majors, "studying while everyone else was partying" doesn't exactly give you the right to be bitter. Yeah, life's unfair and we'd all get so much further if we'd been born into old money and educated at a Phillips Academy. Most of us weren't, and we make do. I have a friend who graduated from my major as a D1 varsity athlete (his source of scholarship), managing 18 hours a semester of 400-level technical coursework alongside two-a-day practices (6 AM and 6 PM). I never once heard the guy complain or use it as an excuse.
Last edited by czelede on Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

M.M.

Bronze

Post by M.M. » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:21 pm

Back on topic ... I don't care to waste my time replying to your "snark" so all such comments will be ignored and considered a bump... as I said I've been on forums for around 8 years now and am basically untrollable.

Although I am somewhat sad to see that u mad is all around the internets ... I miss the times when 4chan stayed at 4chan, misc stayed at misc, and wherever you guys go kept your culture there. BTW I thought this was supposed to be a law forum? If I didn't know different I'd swear I was posting on the misc (serious)

In other words: advice or GTFO, as that is what the purpose of this forum is

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:22 pm

M.M. wrote:Back on topic ... I don't care to waste my time replying to your "snark" so all such comments will be ignored and considered a bump... as I said I've been on forums for around 8 years now and am basically untrollable.

Although I am somewhat sad to see that u mad is all around the internets ... I miss the times when 4chan stayed at 4chan, misc stayed at misc, and wherever you guys go kept your culture there. BTW I thought this was supposed to be a law forum? If I didn't know different I'd swear I was posting on the misc (serious)

Humorless internet poster is without humor.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:23 pm

M.M. wrote:Back on topic ... I don't care to waste my time replying to your "snark" so all such comments will be ignored and considered a bump... as I said I've been on forums for around 8 years now and am basically untrollable.

TLS is like every other forum on the internet only the majority of posters are pretty intelligent so they really dig into you, especially when someone posts something really stupid or whines about something the majority of people go through

St.Remy

Silver

Post by St.Remy » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:25 pm

Blah blah blah blah blha

Your question was answered in the first reply.

Edit: Though to be fair, everyone HAS been giving you advice: to stop whining.
Last edited by St.Remy on Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:27 pm

I worked a very stressful full-time job the last two years of undergrad and had a better GPA for those years than my first two in undergrad. I held no grudges toward my peers who didn't work, largely because I knew quite a few of them were paying for school with loans.

Stop whining. Your situation is not unique.

bostonlawchick

Bronze

Post by bostonlawchick » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:29 pm

I really hope you don't sound so entitled in your PS. Life isn't fair, highness.

I take 18-21 credits a semester while working 40 hours a week to help my parents pay their bills. Never for one second have I thought that I deserved resources more than trust fund kids just because they squander them.

No Adcomm is going to look at your 3.6 or 3.8 and think that 15 hours a week of work is what stopped you from getting a 4.0.

p.s. some people would kill for that "pauper's pay" you make.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”