UC Irvine Law Ranking Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ViP

Bronze

Re: UC Irvine Law Ranking

Post by ViP » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:00 pm

1800calturk wrote:I know I'm reviving an old thread, but I didn't want to create a new one for this. Just wondering what people's thoughts are on UCI now that we've had another year of numbers. Seems to me that faculty is dropping like flies (is Ortiz even there anymore?) and the scholarship is no longer competitive with T30 (maybe they don't have to be?). I'm advising a close friend on whether she should choose a Irvine over a T20 that offered her $. I'm thinking no, but she wants to work in Cali eventually and didn't get into USC or UCLA. Does anyone have an idea how their 2Ls did? How'd their 1Ls do? I'm looking for som rational evaluation here, so uci kids, please don't jump down my throat.
UCI's faculty and administration are not dropping in the slightest. In fact, they're getting better.

Ms. Ortiz is no longer the dean of admissions, but she still comes by frequently (I believe she's teaching Spanish for Lawyers). The new dean of admissions is hugely qualified, having has served as the Dean of Admissions at Penn Law and Columbia Business School.

In terms of faculty, UCI just hired Yale Law's director of clinical studies.

I don't know enough about jobs to comment on that. What I do know I've already posted a number of times in other threads.

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:52 pm

S/UCB/UCLA/USC>UCI/UCD/UCH>L/P/SD

Curry

Post by Curry » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:53 pm

gothamm wrote:S/UCB/UCLA/USC>UCI/UCD/UCH>L/P/SD
EGREGIOUS anti stanford pro boalt/ucla/usc trolling

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:57 pm

fixed. now in descending order.

S>UCB>UCLA/USC>UCI/UCH/UCD>L/P/SD

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:22 pm

Emmalemma wrote:Top. 20.
I am sick of hearing trash talk on UCI law becuase I have no idea where its coming from. Their median GPA is 3.65, and their median LSAT is 167, and NO it did not drop when the second class wasn't offered a full ride AND the class size increased.Wanna compare that to some other law schools?

USC GPA 3.60, LSAT 167
Cornell GPA 3.67, LSAT 167
Boston University GPA 3.77, LSAT 166
Notre Dame GPA 3.6 LSAT 166

Numbers don't lie. UCI's a top 20, no doubt. ABA can't *promise* accreditation, but realistically, UCI has pretty much already been guaranteed.
I think the people that are criticizing UCI and comparing it to 2nd tier schools probably only got into 2nd tier schools and are just bitter. UCI's faculty comes from THE BEST schools in the country- schools you probably didnt even get into- so i suggest you stop whining and just get the best education you can at whatever school you DID get into.
Cornell's medians are now a 3.7/168, just saying.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:27 pm

Emmalemma wrote:Top. 20.
Numbers don't lie. UCI's a top 20, no doubt. ABA can't *promise* accreditation, but realistically, UCI has pretty much already been guaranteed.
I think the people that are criticizing UCI and comparing it to 2nd tier schools probably only got into 2nd tier schools and are just bitter. UCI's faculty comes from THE BEST schools in the country- schools you probably didnt even get into- so i suggest you stop whining and just get the best education you can at whatever school you DID get into.
Top 20 medians account for what, 20% of the total score?

What will ultimately make or break UCI will be peer review and judge/lawyer review.
It's expenditures per student are currently off the chart.
It's student faculty ratio is minuscule.
It's medians are high and it's acceptance rate is low.

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:28 pm

I have nothing against UCI

but......admissions accounts for what percent of a school's rankings? 10%?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:43 pm

Congrats on responding to a post made by someone who hasn't logged in for almost a year. :P

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:47 pm

bk187 wrote:Congrats on responding to a post made by someone who hasn't logged in for almost a year. :P
LOL my bad my baddddd

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

1800calturk

Bronze

Post by 1800calturk » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:16 pm

bk187 wrote:
1800calturk wrote:I know I'm reviving an old thread, but I didn't want to create a new one for this. Just wondering what people's thoughts are on UCI now that we've had another year of numbers. Seems to me that faculty is dropping like flies (is Ortiz even there anymore?) and the scholarship is no longer competitive with T30 (maybe they don't have to be?). I'm advising a close friend on whether she should choose a Irvine over a T20 that offered her $. I'm thinking no, but she wants to work in Cali eventually and didn't get into USC or UCLA. Does anyone have an idea how their 2Ls did? How'd their 1Ls do? I'm looking for som rational evaluation here, so uci kids, please don't jump down my throat.
UCI's 1/3 scholarship is soundly mediocre. Did she get into UCH or UCD with $? If the T20 is GW or WUSTL (which I'm betting it is) then it depends on how much $ they gave and how willing your friend is to have only a 10-20% shot at coming back to CA immediately.
Yeah it's GW or WUSTL, and it's a decent scholly. I think it still makes more financial sense to do Irvine though. But she is from the west coast, so would her ties help her get back? I mean I go to a high ranked school back East but I didn't even look into getting out to Cali because all my resources point me here, so that's a consideration.

Also how is UCI's support staff? One thing that I've come to realize is really important is the networking events and the help CSO gives you with jobs. Does UCI have that? How do they deal with no alumni base and an increasing student population? i get that the school wants to get its students employed (but what school doesn't?) but how are law firms reacting to your 2Ls?

ViP, it'd be helpful if you could consolidate some employment info, I mean just what is your general sense about employment? Especially among 2Ls. Not sure if there's a place online to find this but I can't find it. Just trying to gauge realistically where UCI's rankings are gonna be to help me friend make a major life decision.

HLS

New

Post by HLS » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:53 pm

gothamm wrote:fixed. now in descending order.

Truly fixed

S>UCB>UCLA>USC/UCH/UCD>L/P/SD/CH

HLS

New

Post by HLS » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:55 pm

1800calturk wrote:
bk187 wrote:
UCI's 1/3 scholarship is soundly mediocre. Did she get into UCH or UCD with $? If the T20 is GW or WUSTL (which I'm betting it is) then it depends on how much $ they gave and how willing your friend is to have only a 10-20% shot at coming back to CA immediately.
Yeah it's GW or WUSTL, and it's a decent scholly. I think it still makes more financial sense to do Irvine though. But she is from the west coast, so would her ties help her get back? I mean I go to a high ranked school back East but I didn't even look into getting out to Cali because all my resources point me here, so that's a consideration.

Also how is UCI's support staff? One thing that I've come to realize is really important is the networking events and the help CSO gives you with jobs. Does UCI have that? How do they deal with no alumni base and an increasing student population? i get that the school wants to get its students employed (but what school doesn't?) but how are law firms reacting to your 2Ls?

ViP, it'd be helpful if you could consolidate some employment info, I mean just what is your general sense about employment? Especially among 2Ls. Not sure if there's a place online to find this but I can't find it. Just trying to gauge realistically where UCI's rankings are gonna be to help me friend make a major life decision.
No one will know until at least 3 yrs later.

1800calturk

Bronze

Post by 1800calturk » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:08 pm

HLS I don't know if you're trolling or just an idiot, but first of all I don't get how'd you'd lump USC/UCH/UCD all together, gothamm had it right. Second of all, how will "no one know until 3 years" later when my question was about THIS year's 1Ls and 2Ls? If i could delete your posts I would, they just take up a huge amount of space and don't contribute to the discussion.

If I had to rank UCI right now, I'd put it close to but behind UCD, maybe right around UCH. That's just my own personal speculation.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:10 pm

When is the first issue of the UCI Law Review going to be published? How many members does it have (editors and staff)?

Superficial

New

Post by Superficial » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:19 pm

UCI is a serious consider for me as that is my only Cali option (for now). But I am very skeptical of graduating from a school without ranking and or job statics. The head dean's namesake is cool and all to talk about for 2 mins with friends, but I'm not sure how my degree from an unaccredited, unranked, unproven institution will advance my career.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:57 pm

Superficial wrote:UCI is a serious consider for me as that is my only Cali option (for now). But I am very skeptical of graduating from a school without ranking and or job statics. The head dean's namesake is cool and all to talk about for 2 mins with friends, but I'm not sure how my degree from an unaccredited, unranked, unproven institution will advance my career.
It won't.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:59 pm

HLS wrote:
gothamm wrote:fixed. now in descending order.

Truly fixed

S>UCB>UCLA>USC/UCH/UCD>L/P/SD/CH
You are a truly awful troll.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:02 pm

1800calturk wrote:Yeah it's GW or WUSTL, and it's a decent scholly. I think it still makes more financial sense to do Irvine though. But she is from the west coast, so would her ties help her get back? I mean I go to a high ranked school back East but I didn't even look into getting out to Cali because all my resources point me here, so that's a consideration.

Her ties would help her get back, but it would still be very difficult. She can't network very well, no alumni in the area (though this applies to UCI as well), not many CA firms at OCI.

If costs are equal at WUSTL/GW compared to UCI and she really wants CA then go to UCI. However, if the cost difference is substantial (e.g. WUSTL/GW are closer to 100k debt versus UCI's 160k or whatever it is with a 1/3 scholly) then she has to ask herself whether have a much more manageable debtload is worth the fairly high chance that she doesn't come back to CA immediately and is stuck in the midwest or east coast.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:07 pm

UCI will rank well. Maybe not T20, but T1 certainly. Consider what the factors in the rankings are:

1) LSAT, GPA. UCI has these.
2) Peer reputation. Academics like Leiter are already fawning over UCI's faculty: http://www.leiterrankings.com/new/2010_ ... pact.shtml
3) Lawyer/Judge reputation. This will probably suck.
4) Spending per student, tc. This will be high because of UCI's tiny class size.
5) Library size, etc. UCI can compete as much as anyone else on this one.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:10 pm

rayiner wrote:UCI will rank well. Maybe not T20, but T1 certainly. Consider what the factors in the rankings are:

2) Peer reputation. Academics like Leiter are already fawning over UCI's faculty: http://www.leiterrankings.com/new/2010_ ... pact.shtml
4) Spending per student, tc. This will be high because of UCI's tiny class size.
Places like GWU and ND have nosedived in the past b/c of a weird year of yield. Our acceptance rate went up 12% one year and it caused a 8-place drop in the rankings.

Yield is far more lightly-weighted than lawyer/judge reputation, and UCI will suffer worse than (the analog of) a 12% drop in a nationwide (NE-biased) reputation survey, since no one knows what the fuck it is.

This TTT shithole will fry come rankings day, and rightfully so.

You get what you pay for.

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:15 pm

flcath wrote:
rayiner wrote:UCI will rank well. Maybe not T20, but T1 certainly. Consider what the factors in the rankings are:

Places like GWU and ND have nosedived in the past b/c of a weird year of yield. Our acceptance rate went up 12% one year and it caused a 8-place drop in the rankings.

Yield is far more lightly-weighted than lawyer/judge reputation, and UCI will suffer worse than (the analog of) a 12% drop in a nationwide (NE-biased) reputation survey, since no one knows what the fuck it is.

You get what you pay for
Wow. You are one angry kid.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:17 pm

flcath wrote:

umad?

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:19 pm

gothamm wrote:
flcath wrote:

You get what you pay for
Wow. You are one angry kid.
This is my favorite TLS topic.

Superficial

New

Post by Superficial » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:34 pm

flcath wrote:

Nice tan.

So does this mean if I pay tuition at McGeorge School of Law, then I will get YLS education!?!?!?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:58 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”