underage partying in high school Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MayBerry

New

underage partying in high school

Post by MayBerry » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:21 pm

I have sent out most all of my applications, but just got freaked out by someone -

Over 10 years ago, when I was 15 or 16, I was at a party and the cops busted it. I wasn't drinking and so I didn't get an alcohol citation, but they did call my parents and I had to take some seminar because was standard in my county.

How do I find out if there is some sort of nick on my record?! Because if there is, I need to send out letters to my schools ASAP!

(am I over thinking this?)

Kiersten1985

Silver

Re: underage partying in high school

Post by Kiersten1985 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:22 pm

Even if there was something on your "record," I'm pretty sure it would have been erased once you turned 18.

I'm sure there's someone who can better answer this for you, but my initial thought would be to contact your police department (NOT 911 haha) and see if they can look it up for you.

MayBerry

New

Post by MayBerry » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:51 pm

Any other applicants have a party citation or similar situation from their high school days? What did you guys do?

I am definitely going to call the county in the morning. Since it is from when I was a minor, I can't figure out if I need to tell law schools about it or if citations/etc like from when you are a minor will come up for the BAR fitness stuff.

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:54 pm

What country is this? (How are you going to "call the country" anyway?)
You can just call law schools and ask if you should disclose. You can also call the bar in states where you might end up and ask about it. Really, they won't bite. You don't even have to tell them who you are. This isn't going to hurt you whether you disclose it or not, so the only issue is whether you should bother.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:57 pm

YOU NEED TO DISCLOSE THIS EVEN IF IT HAS BEEN EXPUNGED. It won't hurt you tho.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Oblomov

Bronze

Post by Oblomov » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:58 pm

I'm normally a big proponent of disclosure, but as you're already sent in your apps I wouldn't worry about it. You were never cited for anything, end of story.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:59 pm

Thread way more boring than anticipated.

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:02 pm

Veyron wrote:YOU NEED TO DISCLOSE THIS EVEN IF IT HAS BEEN EXPUNGED. It won't hurt you tho.
NO YOU DON'T.

MayBerry

New

Post by MayBerry » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:06 pm

yeah - boring deal, I know. lol

I'm gonna call the COUNTY it happened in back then and find out if it shows. And call some schools to ask if they want me to add a letter to my application files. It was so long ago. I don't even remember the dates or details aside from the fact I blew a 0.0 and had to attend a really boring seminar.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kiersten1985

Silver

Post by Kiersten1985 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:07 pm

kn6542 wrote:What country is this? (How are you going to "call the country" anyway?)
You can just call law schools and ask if you should disclose. You can also call the bar in states where you might end up and ask about it. Really, they won't bite. You don't even have to tell them who you are. This isn't going to hurt you whether you disclose it or not, so the only issue is whether you should bother.
RC FAIL :wink:

OP said county, not country

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:07 pm

MayBerry wrote:yeah - boring deal, I know. lol

I'm gonna call the COUNTY it happened in back then and find out if it shows. And call some schools to ask if they want me to add a letter to my application files. It was so long ago. I don't even remember the dates or details aside from the fact I blew a 0.0 and had to attend a really boring seminar.
Oh shit. I need to put on my glasses.

MayBerry

New

Post by MayBerry » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:24 pm

Just off the phone with the one school I haven't applied to yet (ugh), and they said I need to disclose it. So anyone else who wondered, I would disclose...

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:27 pm

MayBerry wrote:Any other applicants have a party citation or similar situation from their high school days? What did you guys do?
Ran from them

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

S de Garmeaux

Bronze

Post by S de Garmeaux » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:29 pm

MayBerry wrote:I have sent out most all of my applications, but just got freaked out by someone -

Over 10 years ago, when I was 15 or 16, I was at a party and the cops busted it. I wasn't drinking and so I didn't get an alcohol citation, but they did call my parents and I had to take some seminar because was standard in my county.

How do I find out if there is some sort of nick on my record?! Because if there is, I need to send out letters to my schools ASAP!

(am I over thinking this?)
if there is no citation there is no record. thats what cops do when you are underage and cooperative out past curfew at a party, it would take too long to do the paper work for 50 alcohol citations so they scare you and then call your parents who they figure would do most of the punishing anyway

EDIT: if they gave you a citation for alcohol or curfew, then you would have disclose per the application's wording (some ask for offenses as a minor, some do not). Otherwise, what [strike]would[/strike] could there be a record of?
Last edited by S de Garmeaux on Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous Loser

Silver

Post by Anonymous Loser » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:34 pm

GATORTIM wrote:
MayBerry wrote:Any other applicants have a party citation or similar situation from their high school days? What did you guys do?
Ran from them
With a case of beer under each arm.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:33 pm

Oblomov wrote:I'm normally a big proponent of disclosure, but as you're already sent in your apps I wouldn't worry about it. You were never cited for anything, end of story.
LOL, just wait till they drop 250K on law school only to get C&F poned. You need to update the schools you have applied to or you may have a big problem being admitted to the bar. Really, schools do not give a shit about this kind of stuff, why would you ever not disclose it?

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:38 pm

Veyron wrote:
Oblomov wrote:I'm normally a big proponent of disclosure, but as you're already sent in your apps I wouldn't worry about it. You were never cited for anything, end of story.
LOL, just wait till they drop 250K on law school only to get C&F poned. You need to update the schools you have applied to or you may have a big problem being admitted to the bar. Really, schools do not give a shit about this kind of stuff, why would you ever not disclose it?
He won't get C&F pwned over this because he can disclose to the school WHILE he's attending.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:49 pm

kn6542 wrote:
Veyron wrote:
He won't get C&F pwned over this because he can disclose to the school WHILE he's attending.

You're right, he would just get kicked out of school for lying on his apps

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:52 pm

bceagles182 wrote:
kn6542 wrote:
Veyron wrote:

You're right, he would just get kicked out of school for lying on his apps
Yeah, no, he won't. They don't advertise it up front, but if you are already admitted, and you have some C&F thing that you failed to disclose on your app, you can notify them while attending. Unless it took place while in law school (in which case there might be a code of conduct problem), or it was extremely serious, it won't be a big deal. This is not serious in the least.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:56 pm

[/quote]
Yeah, no, he won't. They don't advertise it up front, but if you are already admitted, and you have some C&F thing that you failed to disclose on your app, you can notify them while attending. Unless it took place while in law school (in which case there might be a code of conduct problem), or it was extremely serious, it won't be a big deal. This is not serious in the least.[/quote]

Where are you getting this info from? Even if this is the case (its not), why would you take such a huge risk for NO benefit. It literally defies reason.

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:57 pm

Veyron wrote:

Where are you getting this info from? Even if this is the case (its not), why would you take such a huge risk for NO benefit. It literally defies reason.
This is not a serious issue. He might as well disclose now, but no law school is going to have a fit if he informs the admissions office sometime before graduation.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Columbia Law

Bronze

Post by Columbia Law » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:01 pm

You are an absolute idiot if you think someone would be kicked out of college and/or owned by the bar for failing to disclose this. You are absolutely 100% wrong.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:01 pm

Uh, just fyi, at orientation they specifically say "If anyone didn't disclose something that they should have, please come talk to us discreetly before the end of the week." I get the feeling that small accidental omissions will never be a big deal. Holla!

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:02 pm

Also, I distinctly remember hearing about them sending a similar message to the 3Ls right before graduation.

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:04 pm

Kohinoor wrote:Uh, just fyi, at orientation they specifically say "If anyone didn't disclose something that they should have, please come talk to us discreetly before the end of the week." I get the feeling that small accidental omissions will never be a big deal. Holla!
Yeah, they say 'before the end of the week' during orientation, then they say, "before you graduate" for the next three years.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”